WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 28, 2019 2:23 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Pretty much finished up planting crops on the weekend so it was time for a long overdue sunset drive in the Merc on Sunday. I don't go very fast or very far but its good to hear the old flathead again.
Attachments
Merc sunset drive May 26 small.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Oh stop rubbing it in. :t10512:
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue May 28, 2019 10:35 pm

I spent the evening cleaning up from a "blinker fluid" leak. And to think I considered blinker fluid a joke to pull on the under-experienced like muffler bearings, striped paint, board stretchers and sailboat fuel. My son texted me at work that he found a fuel leak in the barn as he was airing up a leaky tire before heading to work himself. I asked him to put a bucket under the drips and I'd deal with it this evening.

In a cruel design, the turn signals on the rear of my John Deere 5500N vineyard tractor are molded into recesses in the plastic fuel tank. They secure with two threaded inserts formed right into the plastic. One of the inserts was subject to a broken screw, which was drilled out and re-tapped. But slightly off-center. This exposed the screw threads to the actual fuel storage area, which I, of course, had completely topped off after some roto-tilling the night before. So the fuel was leaking out past the screw threads, into the turn signal and dripping onto the rear tire to the floor. What a mess. I soaked up about two gallons with rags, and used sawdust/sweeping compound/sand to try to get the rest.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed May 29, 2019 8:04 am

K Effective, That could have been a very bad situation.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 29, 2019 7:52 pm

I repaired the mount on the cord rewinder. This took the better part of 15 minutes.
I person called me to say they have a monarch 16 X 30 lathe for sale. the footprint is 24 inches shorter than my 16 inch South Bend lathe. His lather and my Southbend were made in December, 1945. I need the floor space more than I need the extra lathe bed length. He is asking $2800. There is a taper attachment but the follow and steady rests are missing. I will go and have a serious look on the weekend, but...……….
I could use a taper tool about once every two years. I use the steady and follow rests almost every time. I think this is my answer.
the seller also has a HOLBROOK lathe with a hydraulic copy attachment.
Attachments
repaired cord winder.jpg
repair 2
cord windr repair 2.jpg
repair 1
cord winder installed.jpg
cord winder installed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:17 pm

I made a set of drawers for a MYFORD Super 7 lathe. The drawers fit under the steel bench the lathe sits on. That was in about 1990. . The drawers were replaced with a MAC side cabinet. I put the set of drawers away for future use.
I thought the two drawer set would work well as part of the ROTEX base. I spent hours looking for the drawers. My wife and son put in an hour or so and the drawers were not to be found.
Two days ago, my son and I were moving machinery and replacing tarps. The drawer set was just waiting to be found when we pulled an old tarp off.
So, after a few months of delay, the drawer set is finally where I want it.
Attachments
MYFORD BENCH SIDE CABINET WITH DRAWERS.jpg
$40 MAC side cabinet
MYFORD DRAWERS.jpg
DRAWERS 2.jpg
DRAWERS 1.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:39 pm

Looks good there.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:29 am

I washed the S160 water truck in the shop where it sits most of the time. That and assorted "Mercury" stuff. Should have taken a picture. Still waiting for it to rain....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:50 pm

The hardest parts of getting old, for me, is when I cannot easily do the repairs on my truck. The next difficult part is finding anyone at any price who can do a good job. The money saved with DIY was nice, while it lasted. I do not mind paying quality work.
The top radiator hose blew off and let out most of the Cummins coolant. The radiator shop had failed to adequately tighten the hoses on the new radiator. My daughter came to the rescue with a screwdriver and 15 liters of water.
I booked an appointment with a local shop to have a cooling system flush and Cummins compatible coolant installed.
The starter was acting up with an intermittent solenoid and the starter was starting to lug down and struggle. The new batteries tested good, and the cables were in good condition. I called WestCan Auto parts, where I bought the last starter just over two years ago. I inquired about warranty. I had missed the expiry date by a week. The replacement starter is from LORDCO. It is a new Delco. I have not had any luck with rebuilt starters and alternators.
$979.81 later the engine was starting better than ever and the cooling system was filled with 25.6 liters of Cummins coolant. There was $22.50 charged for shop supplies. I do not mind this charge. It is an expense to the shop to carry those things that might be needed.
I get a good feeling from Crompton Brothers shop. They just feel right. The repairs were done in a timely manner, while I waited in the customer lounge.
My daughter is looking at a new truck for herself. She is telling me the prices. OMG. I am too old. I bought a new Ford F250 LTD in 1969 and it was $3890. In 1980 I bought a new Toyota 4X4 pickup and it was $4100. Now, knowing what I know, the cost of keeping my 2002 Ram on the road is a small price to pay. Anyway, I like my Ram Cummins 4X4. It makes my penis longer. Well, that is what a tree hugging tie dyed woman accused me of for having the Dodge. I am waiting.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:34 pm

Quality repairs, with a warranty is worth the money. As you say, small money compared to a brand new rig. Might not be an issue if I were independently wealthy, but alas, I am not, at least not monetarily. I am wealthy in Family and Friends.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion