WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Today, I gathered all of the fasteners, handles and adjusters into a ZipLoc bag and topped the bag with EVAPORUST. I had filled my ultrasonic parts washer with 80c hot water. After placing the ZipLoc in the tank, I tuned on the heater to maintain the temperature and them the ultrasonic power. In less than 10 minutes all of the pieces with surface rust were rust free and looked like new metal.
Wile the parts were in the ultraxonic bath, I made a grind stone guard. I machined out a dimple die so I can press a profile into the guard to give the surface a little personality.
Attachments
ULTRASONIC PARTS CLEANER.jpg
guard in place..jpg
moveable guard 1.jpg
OEM stone guard and motor mount.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:10 pm

Yesterday, after taking my daughter to breakfast, I spent 6 - 8 hours in the shop on detailing the parts for my drill grinder. Birchwood Casey gun metal super blue needs a super clean surface before it can work properly. I am very impressed with the quick action of EVAPORUST in an ultrasonic cleaner. I had set the timer for 30 minutes, then checked on the parts in 10 minutes. The parts were rust free and ready to come out of the "wash".
I am impressed with the quality build of this STERLING grinder. The assembly should be finished later today. A few of the upgrades may set the project back a day. I need to go to LOWES and buy a stress relief fitting to fit the motor housing. I will be fitting a retractable cord unit to the back of the support column. I did check the amp ratings for compatibility.
I have a spare mag-base machine light. I got a deal when I bought the remaining stock, about 5 years ago. I have one left. I need to order a few missing and replacement parts from Macdonough/Sterling.
http://www.sterlingdrillgrinder.com/index.html
Attachments
CHECK YOUR SHORTS.jpg
CHECK YOUR SHORTS
retractable 1.jpg
MADE IN CANADA

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:20 pm

had a very productive day in the shop, with "my nose to the STERLING grind stone." The assembly is going really well. I should be ready for the first test grind tomorrow. The components are very heavy and totally avoiding damage is not easy. There will be some touch-ups.
The machine is a precision tool, but the electric wiring is a mess. I have a plan to sort the wiring out and leave it tidy. I am adding a https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/ to cover the bare OEM toggle.
The picture is of the latest and greatest from Sterling.
Attachments
STERLING GREEN MOTOR HOUSING.jpg
correct green for the vintage of my grinder
STERLING 2.jpg
latest OEM colour

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:08 am

WEW51L110 wrote:I’ve been toying around with an idea for awhile now. The hood on an L model is quite cumbersome to handle alone when I want to take it off the truck. Anyone see any serious problems with this plan so far?

Sounds like a back saver to me. I've handled the hood on my R160 alone but avoid it if possible as it will wreck my back for days and scratch the paint.
Even the 52 Mercury hood is literally a handful to lift for one person and I wouldn't try to r+r it without help. I've got it on the work bench at present and am learning to use spot weld cutters and body hammers to try and remove the big dent that it acquired in the late 1960s. The Merc was parallel parked on a street in town and when my dad came out of the store there was this big ugly dent in the hood and a broken headlight ring. Kind of a smash and go incident. Or maybe the other driver never even knew. Whatever, nearly 50 years later I'm trying to fix, or at least improve it. 2 weeks ago I had never even heard of a spot weld cutter.
https://youtu.be/q1hLsXYpegg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:03 pm

My STERLING drill-bit grinder is nearly finished. Because it weighs in at 380# is need to build something onto the base so I can roll this unit around the shop. I want to use the machine transport design that works well on other heavy stuff.
There are a few paint scuffs that need some TLC and then I can calibrate and start to destroy drill-bits. Installing a pin into a bell-crank and clevis was fo difficult. After an hours of frustration, I drilled a 9/16" hole in the casting for easier access to the clevis/bell crank and connecting pin.
Attachments
Mobile Base.jpg
MOBILE BASE 2
MOBILE BASE SOLUTION.jpg
MOBILE BASE 1
guard in place..jpg
DRIND STONE EX[LOSION GUARD
STERLING 1A.jpg
STERLING GRINDER
STERLING ACCESS HOLE.jpg
NON OEM ACCESS HOLE
STERLING 4.jpg
ADDED SWITCH COVER

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Drill bit grinder is coming along nicely. Today i fitted the emblem the front of my truck.
Attachments
IMG_2347.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:57 pm

That emblem is BEAUTIFUL.
Thanks for the positive comment.
I did a little emblem work on my drill bit grinder late this afternoon. I used the roller to apply the red paint to the raised letters. Tomorrow I plan to make a few improvements on today's work.
Attachments
SPEEDBALL ROLLER.jpg
SPEEDBALL ROLLER
PLASTIC PALLET.jpg
MILK JUG PLASTIC PALLET
STERLING IN RED 1.jpg
RED LETERING

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:30 am

Ahhh wow, that looks gooood. Sometimes the small things make a big difference.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:24 pm

I may not have survived the critique of my wife on the dark green with red letters. So, today, with an attempt to be inclusive and keep peace, the dark green will come off and the light green base colour will return with red lettering. Hey, it is just time in, for me. Pictures later this afternoon.
I understand, from the Sterling web site, the grinder weighs 172+ kilograms (380#) and my OTC motorcycle centre lift should handle the weight, so, why is if struggling? Old age may not be reserved for old guys.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:24 pm

I resisted the suggestion to remove the dark green. 12 hours of the paint setting/drying changed the colour just a little. I like it and it stays. The lettering on the base got a little tune-up. The motor housing got some paint attention on both sides.
I called the manufacturer today and ordered four replacement parts. The original bits were either missing or damaged beyond repair. I supplied a serial number and the company came up with a build date. My grinder will turn 50 years old near the end of this month. MADE IN USA and made to last.
This is a good example of getting lucky after doing hours of Google searches. I have to say, my luck improves in direct relation to my due diligence.
Attachments
STERLING 4.jpg
BEOFRE PAINT
STERLING MOTOR HOUSING.jpg
MOTOR HOUSE AFTER PAINT
STIRLING MOTOR HOUSING.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion