WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:08 am

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Finally brought home my ‘64 C. Haven’t started it since ‘14 so I’ve got a bit of work to do before I turn the key. Good to have it nearby again.

'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 am

In my shop today. No IH work but I did swap a speedometer from my 53 parts car into the 52 driver Merc. It works and has 4000 less miles now :-)
https://youtu.be/vtZJCltERDc

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:12 am

I was able to figure out the flooding problem on the Holley carburetor that was a factory rebuild on my recently acquired S120. The third time apart on the bench I realized the inner copper sealing washer for the float needle seat assembly was never installed at the factory which allowed the carb to work fine for awhile until enough fuel seeped past to flood the float bowl. I don't know how the PO supposedly drove it that way. The only way to keep it running was to have your foot constantly in the gas or the idle jacked way up.

The other thing I did was a grease job that was long overdue. Luckily there was no excess wear on any of the parts and all the zirc's took grease. Best of all every gear case on the truck had fresh, clean gear oil in it and was full! A first for any old truck I ever brought home! I still have a long list of things to do before I can get this truck back on the road but this felt like a good start!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:32 pm

I moved my PEXTO box and pan brake where I want it. This brake and cabinet is very top-heavy and the balance point is 75% to the front. Lifting has the risk of an our-of-control tilt to the front. There was a WTRF moment and I had to call for assistance.
I have decided to put the cherry-picker on Craigslist for $85. The shop crane is tested to 1500# and the working load is 1000#. I want more lift-ability than this, for safety. I do not want to drop a Cummins 24 valve and risk damage. My other shop crane will easily lift three time that of the lighter duty unit.
Attachments
SHEETMETAL BRAKE.jpg
this brake is for sale on CL.
brake and cherrypicker.jpg
new to me brake and light duty crane
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 pm

Not the normal farm repair, but last night my wife snapped the handle off of her recliner. The plastic handle was fine, as was the 1/2" ID square tube it screws to, but the 1/2" OD square tube that slides inside that one broke at one of the holes drilled through it. This smaller tube crosses the chair and operates the foot rest linkage on both sides.

As I was heading to town today anyway, I checked at the local Tractor Supply, and bought a four foot piece of 1/2" OD solid cold rolled. I left it longer, extending all the way out into the plastic handle this time, drilled holes in all the required places, even shaved it down to slide through the plastic bushings like the old, hollow tube.

Certainly not even registering on the Nikki Scale of Fabrication Genius, but a quick fix/improvement that might lead the Mrs. to hate me just a little less tonight. No, probably not.

During reconstruction, I broke the sidewall out of my 5/15" deep well 1/4" drive socket. I've had this Buffalo brand set for nearly 40 years, and despite it's nation of origin and discount pricing, it has served me well.

While at TSC, I always survey the reduced price bins. Of the four things I bought there three were on clearance: $8 for 36 AAA batteries, $7 for a four pack of "impact" 1/2" socket extensions and a 24" long 3/4" drive breaker bar for only $2.99!! Even if it turns out to be "run to failure" or "one time use only" it's worth $3. I should have bought both of them...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:58 pm

The "Nicki scale" is set rather low most days.
Today was one of those low-bar-daze. A Craigslist buyer showed up on time, paid what I was asking and left with the shop crane I had posted the day before. The buyer was such a nice person, I gave $10 back.
A friend visited the shop and the first thing he said, "There is open floor space!" You dying or something? What's with selling your $hit?
I got a phone call this afternoon. Someone has a few more toolboxes for sale. Nice. I need something to temporarily fill the open floor space. Three years ago, I bought three toolboxes from this guy. He said he kept my number.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:00 pm

Nikki, you have an addiction, and the Means to do things about it. I have seen your work, no doubt you will "whip" those tools boxes into great shape and make someone a very happy owner.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:52 pm

I have tried to rent a public storage space for our Ford. Due to liability and the off-the-hook high cost of insurance for me and the storage facility, cars are not accepted.
I have a contractor coming on Sunday to look at the possibility of raising the ceiling in my shop/garage by changing the flat ceiling trusses to cathedral trusses to gain ceiling height. This contractor is familiar with this renovation.
I called local distributor for BENDPAC and got a price on an HD9 four post lift. I want standard length and standard width. The Bendpac is $600 more than the DANNMAR D-7X. The BP appears to be of much higher quality. An installer verifies the difference that I thought was obvious.
I want the lift delivered and installed/assembled. This is the sort of stuff I have saved and planned for, for decades. What happens next depends on the contractor's ability to make the changes to the shop.
NOTE: spell-check wants to substitute bedpan for Bendpac. I hope spellcheck does not know something I missed. My youngest brother's smart phone wants to substitute fellatio for gelato. I will not ask.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:40 pm

I did not ask for help and I took a chance that someone might stop for a visit, in the shop. I bought the fourth of four 27 drawer cabinets from a Craigslist seller. Two of the other three cabinets have gone to new homes and I kept one for myself. That was 30 months ago. Well, the cabinet is still in the truck and at about 100 pounds and no good place to get a grip. I will wait for help.
Several days ago, I got an offer to SELL my smaller shop crane and I let it go to a good home. As is often the case, I have needed the small crane about 5 times, since selling it. I will be getting my bigger heavy duty cherry picker out, tomorrow.
Attachments
SHOP CRANE.jpg
THE BIGGER SHOP CRANE
brake and cherrypicker.jpg
SOLD
27 drawer cabinet.jpg
27 DRAWERS

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm

A contractor promised to meet me at the shop just after noon, today. After about an hour I did call him on his cell. He forgot. He did say he would come by after he talked to his wife. He was a no-show at 15:30h. If it takes this much to get him to show up, I am not likely to use his service.
A neighbour carpenter/contractor has offered to take on the job.
Good thing I am not in a hurry
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion