WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

A contractor stopped by the shop this afternoon to look at the raise the ceiling proposal. . I know and trust this guy. His numbers and ideas for getting the job done make sense, to me. While not an inexpensive modification, I did think the estimate was close to what I expected pay. The estimated build time is 6 days. The new trusses will be installed next to the existing trusses, from inside the shop. The new trusses will be fastened to the existing trusses then the "offending" old wood will be cut away.
It will not be necessary to disturb the roof. The maximum gain in height will be from 24 to 48 inches. because ot the pitch of the roof. This will give about 70 inches of clearance under the lift for working on an Old IHC.
The renovation and the four-post lift will total about $15,000. The outside appearance of the garage will not change.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:50 pm

I have been looking at my big raise the ceiling job logistics. I need more time than that to clear the north end of the shop for his crew. I am thinking this renovation will happen closer to spring, possibly sooner if I can find a dry and safe place to park my '40 Ford. I bought a fitted car cover for the Ford. The cover has some weather resistance. I can improve the weather resistance with a plastic sheet on top of the cover.
The time for a permit approval can be 4 - 6 weeks. The modified trusses can be assembled and delivered in less than a week. The contractor says he can be in and out in 5 - 6 days and probably less.
https://www.babco.ca/ is the dealer for BENDPAK four post lifts. They offer delivery and assembly. I will be taking advantage of this service. Delivery and assembly is $750
https://www.babco.ca/BendPak-HD-9ST is the lift I like.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Sounds like you’re getting underway.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:03 pm

How are you doing, WEW? Did MICHAEL give you some grief?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:38 am

Here in Central Florida, we only experienced some of the feeder bands to Michael - light wind and about 1/2” of total rainfall. Having lived through the eye of 4 hurricanes to date, I certainly can sympathize with the folks up in the panhandle. What they are going through now is one of the most gut wrenching experiences they will ever encounter. Sometimes all the help in the world is available to you and it’s of no value because it can’t get to you. The loss of electric power is the key to it all and is vital to any kind of recovery. The loss of power, lack of gasoline, loss of potable water, turn civilized citizens into desperate humans seeking to survive. I can’t say it ever got that bad for us because we are inland enough that storms usually are weakened by the time they reach us, therefore the damage is reduced. But for all those folks taking the direct impact or just inland from such a strong storm, life will be very different for many months and will never be the same again. May God bless them all. As attractive as living at the beach sounds, I could never do it, having seen what the storms do and how long it takes to get back to “normal”. If you think that what you see on the TV reports is bad, try living it 24 hrs a day for what seems an eternity. Even living it a few days until power is restored seems like weeks. If power isn’t restored for weeks, just imagine how depressing that gets. I could go on and on, but I’ll stop here.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:03 pm

I gave a really nice Beaver Rockwell table saw away this afternoon. I have two of them and I need the space more than the money. This is a nice vintage table saw made in CANADA.
the contractor who will be renovating my shop was here to look at the original drawings of the shop. He will be applying to the city for a renovation permit based on these city approved drawings from 1990. The shop was built with a special permit from the board of variance. The board of variance allowed 865 square feet. 400 square feet was the "new maximum in 1990.
After the ceiling is raised with cathedral (scissor) trusses, I will gain another three feet at the highest point. Simple measurements suggest there will be just over six feet of working space under a four post BENDPAC https://www.babco.ca/BendPak-HD-9. I could remove car the wheels and tires and gain more height.
The permit delay with the city could be as little as a few days to three months. I am hoping for the longer time. My son had agreed to help with preparing the space for the contactor and crew.
I will be using the delivery and install service for the hoist. The cost is a little over $500usd. When the crew leaves, the hoist will be working and certified. The Ford goes up and our L110 build goes under the '40. :t3901; :t3909:
Attachments
ROCKWELL BEAVER TABLE SAW.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:55 pm

nikkinutshop wrote: The Ford goes up and our L110 build goes under the '40. :t3901; :t3909:

Not only will you have a lift, but wise use of space!

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:20 pm

I spent most of the yesterday in the garage. I was measuring as much as I could for the advantage gains the $10,000 plus renovation would give me. The contractor suggested that I make sure I am comfortable with the small amount of gain I will be getting for the money I will be spending. The contractor is a neighbour and a friend. He said he is happy to take my money, but he is advising against the cost to advantage benefit.
My final thoughts on this project are this. The $10,000 cost of the renovation is not money that is recoverable. While I may buy a BendPac hoist at some point, it is important to know these hoists, when used, seldon resell for more than 50% of the new price. I like the idea of being able to raise a vehicle so I can roll under that vehicle for service and a good-look around.
I can buy a very good Wells Cargo Car Hauler for about the price of the renovation. At some time in the future, the trailer can be sold and most, if not all, of the original cost recovered. This will depend on the best deal I can make at the time of purchace. I have a friend with a big property. He is renting out storage space for trailer off-season parking. HIs security is very good. So, no reno.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Today was a big step forward on my truck. Thanks to Terrell who sent me a couple of generators and four regulators along with the motor I bought from him I was able to get the charging system working on my truck today. up until now it has been sitting for weeks as I didn't want to run the battery down. Tomorrow I'll get to drive it around my property a little bit and maybe up and down a back road near by, should be fun!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:56 pm

I had a visitor this evening. He was responding to my adversitment on Craigslist for a sheetmetal brake. My Dad built the brake, for me, about 30 years ago.
I got my asking price
Attachments
SHEETMETAL BRAKE.jpg
Home shop built brake
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion