WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:16 pm

WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

I spent a few hours on the shop laptop researching LED replacements for 28 florescent tubes. I have decided to buy HYPERIKON t8 from Amazon. The Amazon price beats the local retailer, for the same product, by six time less. The local retailer tried to cover his price with a bunch of BS and I called him on it. He was kind enough to give me detailed instructions on travel and sex.
In the last month I have saved nearly $1500 by buying Amazon. Of course, I had to spend a few bucks. On one purchase, a crane scale, I saved just over $1000.
The guy across the lane bought a new bare-bones F150. I did not know that Ford made an F150 with so few or no options. The neighbour likes his new white F truck and that is important.
I spent an hour looking for some car parts only to find them exactly where they should be. So, the choice is, get organized and go with that system, or go full on disorganized and do the treasure hunt again and again.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

I vote organization, after the military, my organization kinda went by the way side. It is time to get reorganized. Life is too short.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I made arrangements to have Mundies Towing pick-up my 1940 Ford and drop it at a neighbour's. I need to get the Ford out of the shop and out of the way of a work crew who will be installing a roll-up garage door after removing the 35 year old four panel door. The old door split and is likely to fall on my Ford. Anyway, I get more overhead room with a roll-up door. If I am lucky I might be able to make a deal on a used four-post lift I saw on Craigslist today.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/tls/6166864426.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 pm

I asked for a tow truck to be here at 9am. the truck arrived at 10am. The door installers were coming at 10am. The contractor for the fence next door arrived at 10am. In a few moments there was a ramp/tow truck, an F350 crew-cab and three axle trailer then the door guy arrived with a crew-cab 3500 GM with a similar trailer. The competition for space turned into some rough negotiating and in a few minutes the three contractors worked it out.
Towing the Ford out of the shop, dropping it at the driveway across the steep lane then returning it four hours later cost me $61.43 and $95.21pickup and return. That is $156.64 or about a dollar a foot. I suppose this is not too bad if I consider the possibility of losing the Ford to the steep lane and causing property damage of something much worse.
Pictures to follow. I have to reconnect the door alarm before I get some time off, today.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:06 pm

Some pictures of moving our 1940 Ford 75 feet to my neighbour's parking and return another 75 feet for $156.64. I do not know why the tow company sent a roll-deck truck. This made the job so much more difficult.
I had the car removed to a safe place so a crew could remove the old garage sectional door and install a MADE IN BREITISH COLUMBIA new roll-up door. The two guys were a magic team to watch. The new door was in in about two hours.
I now have space to consider a four-post lift, maybe.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/tls/6166864426.html This seller may have to adjust his asking price more than a little, because this model, new, is $200 less. I am going to offer $1500 and be willing to go a little higher.
Attachments
TOWING BACK IN THE SHOP.jpg
home again
TOWING HOME 1.jpg
coming home
TOWING DAY 7.jpg
TOWING DAY 2.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Most all towing of autos is roll deck. They are more practical when the towed vehicle is not roadworthy. When is the lift ramp arriving?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 pm

If by Lift Ramp, you mean a four post Bendpac lift, that will be a few weeks and I am going to buy new. . The Ford is so close to running under its own power. Rather than paying for another tow I would like to drive out of the shop.
My wife reminds me that the cost of repair to the car could easily exceed the cost of a new lift, so go with the safe new unit.
At first blush, the used lift might looked like a good deal, to me, but I am having some misgivings after doing a ton of research and calling the manufacturer in California.
There is a $250 cost for disassembly, transportation for about 10 kilometers, about $200 then another $250 to reassemble. I would have a pre-purchase inspection done and that is $100. Suddenly a used lift is starting to get expensive and it is still used and older. I was told that these lifts continue to evolve and in time some of the parts may have to be custom made because old parts stock has been depleted and a newer design will not fit.
Bendpac lifts meet and exceed the ALI certification. http://www.autolift.org/
Babco have a good read, on their site, about certification. Some have meaning and others are just BS to trick the consumer. I just read a new story of the FBI investigating a company who was cheating on lifts. After some time of investigating the possible fraud, the company owner was arrested and charges.
http://www.babco.ca/
Our back lane is better suited to having a wheel lift truck, both tow drivers said. The move was about 23 meters each way. The ramp truck has moved this car 6 times in the past, but that was long distances.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:24 pm

It reminds me of the time our "premier" tow company in town yanked the plastic front end off a newish Escalade while unloading it.
He looked around to see who was watching. It was me!
I called my boss and convinced him we were going to be left holding the bag. He never got mad until that day.
I called the tow company owner and he got mad, too. He came over and explained how it wasn't any of their fault. Over and over.
Finally, our employee went out there and just kept tucking and pushing very shiny pearl white painted plastic until the complete front end was back on.
AND supplied the plastic christmas trees that held it all together!
Another gas station disaster averted.
Loading and unloading vehicles on a roll back tow truck is a recipe for immediately unnoticed body damage.
My good friend used to use the corner of the roll back to push old cars around. It's enough to want to strangle someone the body damage they create.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:52 pm

I worked for a medium tow company for a while. we had the 1st wheel lift in the area and one of the only "Cradle snatchers". Also had conventional slings and a roll back. Each has their purpose, each has things they are good at that others can't match. It is why mechanic don't open their tool box and only have an adjustable wrench!
I drove the "Cradle snatcher" and except for short nose vans, it was very useful. You could snatch a car out of a line of parallel parked cars without damage or fuss. The wheel lift was the only one that could pull out of parking garages, the slings were good and fast for repo's and "trespass tows", and the roll back was good for major accidents. We even had one old mechanical Holmes that was good for getting 4X4's out of sand pits, Always loved those.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Repo is a rough game.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion