WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:34 am

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Sorry to hear of your water issues. Flooding can be exhausting. My Mom is still in the subdivision house she and Dad built in 1967, where I grew up. We're less than two miles from the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, and much of the ground is sand. They never even had a sump in the basement, nor a sump pump. With a six-inch rain over 24 hours at the beginning of June, several of the houses on her cul-de-sac suffered flooded basements. Fortunately, we got all of her stuff up and out of there and really only lost the old carpeting and stick-down tile.

A restoration company got her for $2500 for sucking up water/fans/dehumidifiers, and she spent $1000 to have the bare floor painted. I installed a new sump pit and pump with dry well and she got a carpet remnant. I think insurance ended up covering everything save my family's labor to carry furniture. We took the opportunity to only put 40% back in the house as she attempts to downsize.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:19 pm

I went to the shop to get a bolt cutter and some electricians tape for the drain guys. The lock on the loser gate had rusted solid.
The drain guys sent a camera through the drain tile and then followed up with a location device. The drain tile has totally collapsed and will have to be replace out to the street. An estimate should arrive by email later today or tomorrow for the fix. We are expecting to have a final bill of over $10,000. For this we should have the required city upgrade to a settling cistern and new lines to the city storm water system. The front lawn will have to be trenched to about 10 feet deep to accommodate the upgrades.
The original lines have been in the ground since 1954. The original drain tile is a porous concrete material the crumbles and turns into pea sized gravel, when disturbed.
The drain guys left their water pump here and operating. There is a steady flow of water from the 2 inch discharge hose, into the back yard.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:28 pm

I stayed in the house today. I need to spend more time in the shop. I don't want to suffer through another day of Hallmark Christmas Movies. AAWWGGH!!! :biggrowl:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:11 am

I’ve taken to watching You Tube videos about all kinds of tools that people invent from scrap metal. While some are lame and useless, some are quite clever. I especially like the mini-chop saw made from the front forks of a scooter and utilizes a 4 1/2” grinder. “ What will they think of next?”
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:35 am

I went to Caster World and picked up my order. The next stop was at The Metal Supermarket for a small load of steal flat bar. The last stop was at Fastenal for a 100 bolts and an LED pocket light. A 100 kilometers and a few hours later, it was back to the shop to unload all of my shopping. I am ready make chips and sparks tomorrow morning.
The shop built drawers will be repurposed in the punch cabinet.
Attachments
CUSTOM CABINETS UNDER MYFORD SUPER 7.jpg
Shop built drawers
PUNCH 1.jpg
The turret
ROTEX ON THE BENCH.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:10 pm

I unloaded some cold rolled steel flat bar and dropped it in the shop. I cut off 8 pallets big enough to accommodate caster bases. One of the pallets is drilled and will be used as a template for drilling the other pallets.
The pallets will be welded to rectangular steel tube corner pieces. This will form a base cabinet for my ROTEX turret punch. The punch weighs about 536 pounds, strength and stability is a priority.
I want a table top similar to the link.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=rotex+pu ... JyHW2zz7CM:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:35 pm

It was time to make some chips. Measure a few times, cut once and there was a pile of pieces ready for fitting. I had planned to MIG/tac the pieces together for later welding, but, someone left the shielding gas turned on and the last of my two tanks of 75-25 were empty. :t2102:
Option two, TIG/tac the bits and pieces. The fit-up went well. I may TIG all of the joints, I am in the mood.
First thing tomorrow morning will be a trip to AIR LIQUIDE to exchange two empties for full 75-25 shielding gas. :t3909:
Attachments
PUNCH CABINET 5.jpg
PUNCH CABINET 4.jpg
PUNCH CABINET 2.jpg
PUNCH BASE 1.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:39 pm

I hate it when that happens, especially when there is only one "somebody" around here and he looks a lot like me!

If you were planning to TIG the joints, why would you MIG tac them anyway? Is that easier to work with?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:24 am

QUOTE: If you were planning to TIG the joints, why would you MIG tac them anyway? Is that easier to work with?
This is not what I said.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:15 am

Ah, yes, now I see. Reading is fundamental. By saying "for welding later" would that have been MIG?

As a MIG only guy who sees some fabulous TIG at work, and since you seem quite proficient at both, would you have a preference, and why?
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion