WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:54 am

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

I’ve had my Briggs powered edger since it was new in 1986. One of the best investments ever made. It has no signs of quitting. It sits right next to the Briggs powered riding mower (Craftsman) bought in 2003. Since it gets used here in Florida year ‘round, that means it’s been used - so far - at least twice as much, or more, as most places up north. Briggs and Stratton makes good engines!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:24 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briggs_%26_Stratton This link has lots of information on B&S starting over 100 years ago.

Briggs and Stratton have a long history of making quality products. I often replace any of our failed B&S with the much better Honda power units.
My shop time today will be applied to finishing the wiring on my STERLING drill bit grinder. I may remove the lift and move tab on the mobile base and move the tab .50 inch to the right. This is necessary for a more even and balanced lift of the 347 pound, top heavy grinder.
The shop looks quite different now that my motorcycle is sold and gone. I am not missing the bike as much as I thought I might. I think the difference, for me, is, I knew it was time to stop riding in our ever increasing traffic volume. The danger to life and limb has increased exponentially. Motorcycle fatalities are a weekly. The daily news reports serious life threatening motorcycle accidents every day. I do not think many drivers see motorcycles.
I have lost a few friends, I used to ride with.. There were only three of us left for coffee on Saturday and only one of then rode his HD. We were 12 guys only a few years ago.
Attachments
STERLING DONE 1.jpg
STERLING MOBILE BASE 3.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 am

Can't beat the old Briggs and Strattons here. I'm running a few that are 30+ years old. Actually I think one push mower is from the 1960s. They were not afraid to build them to last back then. Now its just build them as cheap as possible so they last til the warranty is over.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:22 pm

For the first time in 2 years, the truck came out. Garage was in need of a major clean. The truck only just fits in, with no room to walk down the sides. Hence the garage being in such a state.
Attachments
IMG_2428.JPG
IMG_2426.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 pm

I finished the assembly today. I know where the belt guard is.
Attachments
EDGER 2.jpg
EDGER.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:56 pm

Looks like you have a deluxe model with the double leading wheels. Also, your blade is on the left side. My edger has a single front tire and the blade spins on the right side. You must have the illusive great northern white leftsided edger!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:17 pm

My sidewalk edger was made in USA decades before the Trump tariffs. Our dollar may have been close to the US green-back in those way-back-times.
I finally go the wiring done on my STRERLING drill bit grinder. I decided to bring the power to a duplex box then plug the grinder and the light into the box. EZ
My Sterling Grinder is 11 years older than Stormy Daniels. Both are fantastic grinders.
My Sterling will grind any size from .125" to 2.50". With an adapter and a few adjustments my Sterling will handle up to 3.50". Like Stormy.
Attachments
STERLING POWER 4.jpg
STERLING POWER 6.jpg
STERLING POWER TERMINAL.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:10 pm

It was very hot at 31C in the shop today. (87F) The shop was around 20C mid morning and the temperature was at 31C in a few hours.
I took a magnetic base machine lamp apart and shortened the cord by a meter. I was not liking the bundled wire hanging at the back of the grinder. (as shown in the picture)
I was surprised at the quality of this machine lamp. It is important to say the lamp was MADE IN USA. The quality of the lamp assembly was a 10 out of 10. The electric joints were soldered, heat resistant sleeves were used and the bulb holder was real ceramic. The wire is 16 gauge and the magnetic base has five (5) neodymium 17 millimeter round magnets mounted in a metal holder. This base sticks like it was welded.
Attachments
STERLING LIGHT.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:21 pm

What little time I spent in the shop was rolling around on my shop chair and trying to determine where I gouged out my arm. I do not remember making contact with anything, but the evidence of a hit is a bloody gouge. I am on a significant prescription for blood thinners. I do not know how this happened, yet. Getting old can be a poor reward for a life well wasted. The best part, there is no pain, yet. When I tear off the masking tape and my arm get a Brazilian that should hurt a little.
I Googled, Getting a Brazilian. Maybe this is not for me.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:34 pm

While I was looking for some hinge mounted mirror brackets, I found some long misplaced L&R front cab mounts. I thought I was going to reproduce the cab mounts. This is still a possibility since I want to use ENERGY SUSPENSION components.
Attachments
FRONT CAB MOUNTS CANADA.jpg
CANADA front cab mounts
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion