WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

It is time to replace that BUDA with an ECO BOOST twin turbo. (with an electric fuel pump)
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:09 am

The center of circulation passed approx. 35 miles west of us at around 1:00a.m. this morning. Utility supplied electricity is still on in our area. Our generator filled in when it failed intermittently at the height of the storm. There is tree litter all over the place. A couple trees are down at neighbors. We sustained minor shingle/soffit damage upon my initial inspection at first light. Otherwise, we faired well. Now comes the clean-up and removal of shutters, etc.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Glad to hear all is relatively well.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Glad to hear your safe and well. Nasty looking storm, We have had it on the news every day now for about a week in the UK. Hope the next one which is on the way blows out in the ocean. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:05 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:It is time to replace that BUDA with an ECO BOOST twin turbo. (with an electric fuel pump)

Naw, not reliable enough, I can hand crank the Buda, no battery or electric's needed (has duel ign, mag and coil, so at least one set of plug will fire until the generator supplys current to the coil) and an old reliable mechanical fuel pump. Easyer to crank than a 9 cyl Pratt & Whitney, that's for sure.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Just teasing you.
I spent several hours sorting drillbits and organizing the contents of several toolboxes. I got a nice set of COLSON casters off Craigslist. I cleaned them then pumped new grease through the bearings. I am looking for a place to mount a beautifully restored post-drill. I need this dill to be viable and still be out-of-the-way.
Attachments
post drill.jpg
COLSON CASTERS $20 4.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 am

Been slowly going through my "new to me" Bridgeport. The Ram travel handle was broken off and missing. I replaced it with 2 grade 8 bolts used as threaded studs, a couple of 1/8" roll pins, a scrap section of SS tube, and a (Italian- ooooo la la ) knob from a Liebherr LR1280 crawler crane toolkit.

Some time in the parts washer and green scotch brite pads and WD40. This is where I'm at. The lead screws have a bit of backlash (not my main concern at this moment), but so far the ways seem to be serviceable. Knee ways and saddle ways are cleaned and inspected. I'll get to the 42" bed later this week.

Before for ref:
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 am

Here's the other project Ive started on. Last year I bought a couple of old BMWs and third one earlier this year. The '68 took a hard shot in the right quarter. After some light work with a Port a power I was able to get it to sit on 4 jack stands again. It's a very rust free car. There is tons of bondo, but very little rust. I pulled some measurements and the front frame rails are square to each other and in line with the left rear suspension pick up point. I decided it was time to remove the glass and the quarter to develop a good plan for this winter.

I also dropped off the modified fuel tank for the R-122 GM TBI conversion at Tracy's Classic Tanks for boiling and lining. I have a kit, but it just seems like too much effort and mess for me to bother with. The current tank that he also lined for me has been holding up well for the last 2 yrs.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:02 pm

I had a 1968 1600, a 1970 2002, and a 1974? 2002 tii. These BMW cars were the standard all other small cars were compared to.
Rust in the shock towers in the trunk was a problem. The first sign of rust was when the factory spot welds start to appear as dimples.
These are timeless classics.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:23 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I had a 1968 1600, a 1970 2002, and a 1974? 2002 tii. These BMW cars were the standard all other small cars were compared to.
Rust in the shock towers in the trunk was a problem. The first sign of rust was when the factory spot welds start to appear as dimples.
These are timeless classics.

A 73 02 was my first daily driver. What fun little cars. Always missed the greenhouse cabin and the beautiful lines/curves. Prices have been getting nutty lately. 2 of the 3 cars I have have excellent shock towers and great rocker panels( another horrible spot on these tubs). The car with no rockers and rotten towers will be the primary donor for my '68 and if there's enough left the '73.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion