WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

It is West Coast early winter here. The temperature is 10c, it is overcast with rain threatening. The humidity is high and the day is miserable.
I didn't go to the garage today. My son bought and installed a new Honeywell thermocouple in the shop furnace and there is heat in the shop once again.
We are working our way across the shop by eliminating the unfinished stuff. We hope to get back onto the Ford next weekend.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:44 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Ralph, what is going white stuff on the ground?. Is it something you hauled in?
We are having a chilly but sunny day here.

Nothing unusual to have a bit of snow in November. We got a little more overnight. Below normal temps though. I saw +14F for a high yesterday and enough wind chill factor to make it miserable outside. Quiet and snowing this morning. Maybe I'll go out and hammer dents out of that Mercury bumper to keep warm. Its warmed up to 18F .

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Here on the leeward side of Lake Michigan we stay warmer in the Fall, it was up to 31F just now, and calm. We have just a dusting of snow today, 2-3 inches yesterday melted off. Looks like the Lake Effect snow machine is dumping north of us, Kalamazoo may get 6 inches. We are headed there tonight for some minor league hockey.

It was warm enough to do some painting on the frame I built for my loader counterbalance weight and grease up the hay mower for storage.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Most of the time my work shop is the area outside side of my actual work shop / garage as it has the most room. As the days get colder here in the mountains of northern New Mexico I was lucky to catch a 48 degree day. My windshield has been here for weeks but the supplier for the rubber gasket forgot to ship it and then took what seemed like forever to get it to me. It finally came yesterday and today with the help of a good friend and neighbor I got it installed. I really didn't want to do the install below 60 degrees but today was sunny and 48 with no wind and a lot of radiant heat from the sun so I went for it. With some effort and a lot of soapy water it went in first time. It felt good to get that done before winter set in. The back window is next should I catch another nice day!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 am

We even got a dusting of snow here in SW Oklahoma yesterday that was still on the ground in many places this morning. We are supposed to be back to being in the sixties by Friday.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Here on the Wet West Coast of Canada, snow is not predictable. If I remember, there may be a little snow in December. I remember other times when there was three feet of snow in one day.
Global warming has changed many things.
I was not feeling up to going out to the shop in the last two days, but, today, I am going to brave it up and hit the sidewalk to the shop. It is very important for me, in my situation, to get out and do something every day. If I do not stay active, my mobility-ability takes a set-back.
My wife bakes the best cinnamon buns, ever. I cannot stay inside and test my resistance and high probability of failure. I figure I can have one cinnamon bun a day with the least amount of problems for me. I did have three CB yesterday and that showed up as a 5 point rise on my morning blood test. Two days of low activity and added carbohydrates is a bad combination.
I have a few pending but not so pressing things to do in the shop.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:25 pm

I did make it out to the shop, today. I finished off the spats for the caster brackets on my Pexto brake. then it was "tool time." How does so much stuff get taken out and just left, out. I counted 51 tools. As I was turning the lights off and turning the thermostat to the lowest setting, I saw another ten or so tools looking for home.
Can anyone tell me why EAGLE pump[ oil cans like to fall over, often hitting the floor. I may try to epoxy a strong microwave magnet to the bottom of the oil cans and see if than helps.
I made an cutting oil holder out of an Allison 730 transmission retarder piston. It does not spill if it tips onto its side.
Attachments
Allison NO DRIP OIL CONTAINER.jpg
Allison NO DRIP OILER 3.jpg
CERAMIC MAGNET ON ALLISON RETARDER PISTON.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 pm

I bought two locking swivel caters today. One of these locking swivel casters replaced a regular caster, on each end, so the cabinet with brake will be easier to maneuver. At 846 pounds the brake-cabinet is difficult to control when a caster is in contact with any anomaly, on the floor. One fixed caster will easily steer the cabinet, straight. This change allows the cabinet to easily maneuvered from either end. One swivel caster will be locked at one time.
I made up some simple handles for each end of the cabinet. This makes maneuvering the cabinet easier, maybe.
Attachments
HANDLE PARTS.jpg
BRAKE HANDLE..jpg
NON LOCKING SWIVEL.jpg
LOCKING SWIVEL.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:19 pm

I helped my son get some syphon hose out of the shop so he could get flood water out of the house drain tile. The rain has all but stopped and the syphon stopped. A conservative estimate of the syphoned water could be several hundred gallons.
During the construction of the $4,500,000 house, next door, our drain tile may have been crushed. The drain tile goes about 3 feet below the front lawn of the "new" neighbour's front lawn on the way to the city storm drain under the street. During the construction the owner mentioned the drain tile and I thought he was not in favour of it being there. If he removed the tile I may have a situation where he is liable for our damages. He could have mentioned the tile was removed, crushed or capped off. I want to find out if the 60 year old drain installation was legal. The City should have an answer.
I/we will be talking to the city tomorrow about our drain tile situation.
Our first estimate for digging up our front lawn and putting in a drain connection may be over $10,000. I think these estimators throw out a number and check for "that wince". Depending on the degree of pain/wince, the final estimate could go up, more likely and less likely down.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Several years ago I had ROTO ROOTER in to check out our drain tile. their equipment was very poorly maintained and stopped working. I offered to make repairs. I spent several hours machining a few replacement parts supplied a shaft key and I did some welding. When it came time to settle up the bill, the jerk would not allow anything for my time and materials. I called his office.
The next time I thought I needed a drain tile inspection, I called a different company, that was about 7 years ago.
My wife found their workorder in our home maintenance files and she called this company again. They will be here on Tuesday, December, 18. They guaranteed their machinery will be working.
They will sending their camera through the tile to check for obstruction or damage. The next step will be Water Jetting the drain. If the drain has been damaged and needs replacing, they will have a crew with a track-hoe dig up the front yard before installing new a drain and reconnecting to the city storm water system. Isn't life grand?
The rain has stopped and the basement is nearly dry, again. I will leave the ventilation fans running for one more night. :t3901; :t3901; :t3901; :t3901;
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion