WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

I wasn't recommending one over the other, sorry if that wasn't clear. Either method will do a good job.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:20 pm

No criticism from me. I was just saying that I made my choice based on what I discovered. I do not want a VFD, as it turns out.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:18 pm

It's not too exciting, but I made washers in my shop today. It's amazing how often I've done this basic operation since I got my lathe. Sometimes it's to make an odd sized washer or a specialty item like the step washer shown here. Other times I just get tired of finding that the size I need is out of stock and don't feel like waiting wandering around trying to find one.
Attachments
20190906_150244-2.jpg
20190906_150207-2.jpg
20190906_150409-2.jpg
Washer installed on "arrow" turn signal light
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:04 pm

My two lathes are possibly the machines that changed my shop-life the most. The milling machine is a close second.
Having these lathes has allowed me to make many no-longer-available IH parts. One simple example is the often neglected service of and damage to, from overloading the spring perches.
My South Bend16 is perfect for drilling out the damaged perch pins and turning replacements.
My Cummins Diesel L110 has a TH475 automatic transmission and the clutch pedal is not needed. The brake pedal bushing was all but worn away. I made a replacement from Delrin. The South Bend was just right for shortening the pedal pivot.
The milling machine made hubcap new centers to convert to IH from RAM.
The solid axles for the "L" are Ram1500. The wheels are also RAM 20 inch from a much later model. I want big 275/60-20 rubber to help fill the cavernous fenders.
Attachments
RAM 20 INCH X 8 WHEELS.jpg
Dodge wheel and hubcap with milled IH logo.jpg
IHC HUBCAP MODIFICATION (2).jpg
IHC HUBCAP MODIFICATION (2).jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
BRAKE PEDAL PIVOT IN LATHE.jpg
DELRIN BUSHING.jpg
PERCHES AND SHACKLES.jpg
PERCH DRILLED OUT ON LATHE.jpg
perch pin drilling.jpg
perch pin rusted and bent 2.jpg

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Yup, the lathe and milling machine has saved me more than once. I haven't used Delrin yet. I will definitely have to give it a try some time. When I replaced the pedal bushings on my C40 I used regular bronze bushing stock since I had a bit of it on the shelf already. It didn't look like the grease fittings on the pedals and shaft had ever been lubed...

I like the IH hubcaps you made!
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:50 pm

I would bet a Big Mac that the pedal bushings were never serviced. I made a simple mandrel to hold the Delrin bushing for the final outside turning. Delrin can be very expensive. Hold onto the sales counter when "they" give you a price. I keep my Delrin in a locked drawer ever since my son asked, "May I have this chunk of nylon?" NFW.
My friend was a welder/fabricator on the Waterfront. Grain transfer to ships would wear the steel and stainless chutes away in a few weeks. The Delrin liners lasted for years.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:34 pm

Last week I took delivery of a 10 horsepower, Canadian Rotary Phase Converter. This unit is made by American Rotary in USA, with all Made in USA labour and parts. The idler (motor) is USA BALDOR.
I have a mounting kit coming. The kit will allow mounting the control box over the idler.
Rather than mounting the unit in one fixed location, I decided to mount it on a mobile cart. My idea is to take the three phase power to the machine.
I had this idea of maybe using a pressure washer base for the mobility. I found this base on Craigslist. It was $20. I cannot buy the material for $20.
Attachments
Rotary Phase copnverter.jpg
AMERICAN ROTARY MOBILLE BASE 1.jpg
AMERICAN ROPTARY BASE 2.jpg
repurposed pressure washer base

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:46 pm

The missing American Rotary hardware arrived yesterday at the same moment my long time friend MagIHC Mike came for a visit. When he called to say he would be visiting the next day, I asked if he could bring rain. "I will see what I can do," he said. Just as Mister Mike parked his truck, a monsoon started and we had heavy rain for then next 12 hours. Thanks, I guess.
I spent a few hours in the shop, today. I was working on a redesign of the yellow cart thingee to make it look good and work with the repurpose.
I am not one to like these generic parts and brackets. Fits-all, does not, for me.
The yellow cart thingee is another example of powder-coating going bad. There are a few paint damage spots where the water had gone under the plastic coating and travelled. I have a Miller Spectrum plasma cutter. Bye-bye rusty parts.
The slow to arrive parts were not the fault of the shipper.
Attachments
AMERICAN ROTARY MOBILLE BASE 1.jpg
going under the knife.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:59 pm

I did not get out to the shop today. I woke up this morning and felt older than my age. I made the corporate decision to stay in the house and be that annoying person on a few forums.
I am feeling better now and the possibility of having a slice of my wife's apple pie may have contributed to my slightly better feel-good.
The cinnamon buns are another form of good medicine.
Attachments
Cinnamon buns.jpg
BALDERSONS AND APPLE PIE.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Progress is slow and steady. This is just about how the finished project will look. Rather than messing with short pieces, I want to go to The Metal Supermarket in the morning and pick up a 1/4 sheet of 14 gauge cold rolled steel. A little plasma-cutter surgery and the project will be one strep closer to "What TF was I thinking?
Attachments
Rotary cart side view.jpg
rotary front view.jpg
REDDI KILLOWAT.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion