WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

I stayed out in the shop until the chill chased me to the house. I have a good furnace, but, it takes a long time to warm up all of the machines so the shop will feel comfortable.
I was digging around in some of the many drawers of Old IHC bits and pieces and I found these rare and unusual IHC YANKEE mirrors. I have three sets, two of the sets are in original boxes and appear to be NOS. The third set has a broken mirror. I tried to take it apart to discover how to tighten up the friction adjuster mounting. I have a plan to make the right-side unit into a convex .
Attachments
YANKEE IH.jpg
YANKEE IHC mirrors.
YANKEE IHC 2.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:26 pm

I watched a bunch of You Tube sewing tips and tricks videos. I have an industrial JUKI 562 walking foot for leather and other heavy upholstery materials. I found some super tips I could have used when I did the upholstery for my 1940 Ford. I am very pleased with how the upholstery finished.
I was given an estimate of $32,000 to do the Ford upholstery which included the carpet and the headliner..
I bought the JUKI for $500, delivered, and another $100 for a service and tune. The matching leather to the 750 BMW seats, was about $2000. The German wool square weave carpet was another $2000. The headliner is like the Mercedes perforated material. It was $750. Add another $500+/- for miscellaneous bits and pieces. My costs were around $6000 and my time. The saving were considerable.
I still have the JUKI. It will be pressed into service on an IHC project truck or two. As Steven Colbert says, "MEANWHILE!", the JUKI has been repairing denim jeans. My daughter has been using the JUKI for her hobby and side business.
Here is an interesting side bit. The local upholstery supply houses would not sell anything to me. I was told I had to buy materials through the guy who sold the JUKI to me. At the time I bought the JUKI, I did not know the seller wanted to do the upholstery, with the sewing machine that I bought from him. I do not take bullying and I contacted my friend Helga, north of Toronto. She happily took my money and shipped the materials.
Attachments
RIGHT REAR PASSENGER DOOR 1.jpg
DRIVERS DOOR 2.jpg
THE LAST OF IT.jpg
LF DOOR FIRST FIT-UP.jpg
JUKI 562 (3).jpg
JUKI 562

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:04 pm

I turned the furnace on then went for b'fast at McD's. The furnace took some of the chill off, but the shop remained uncomfortable. After shuffling a few things around, I retired to the the warm house for a coffee and a nap.
Attachments
FURNACE SHOP.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:22 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I turned the furnace on then went for b'fast at McD's. The furnace took some of the chill off, but the shop remained uncomfortable. After shuffling a few things around, I retired to the the warm house for a coffee and a nap.

I did not even get into the workshop the past few days. I did put in some educational time this evening watching the latest video from Coldwarmotors on youtube. I have learned a lot there. If any of you don't already watch it, I'd recommend the channel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:32 pm

As close to the shop as I have been in about a week is to look longingly at it from the safety of the family room. We have had over 61cm (24 inches) of heavy snow. The temperature has been above and then below zero C. This has left a slippery ice base under the snow.
One of the last times I went outside in these conditions I fell and got injured. I have been walking with a walker since that crash. My wife says my reduced mobility with the conditions of the sidewalks is a sure recipe for disaster.
The alarm is set on the garage.
My friend from Chilliwack called to say hello. He had been out for groceries. He saw a novice snow removal contractor, with a new rubber track hoe trying to clear the parking. The novice had the track-hoe stuck on the level lot. A crusty old man went over to the machine and told the young guy to get out and let him show how to get it moving. The old guy need assistance to get into the cab. In a few seconds the old learned skills returned and the machine was released from the icy grip of the snow.
Both of my kids drive Jeep Grand Cherokee. This snow is not much of a challenge for them. Both Jeeps have had the showroom tires replaced with proper tires.
The two things that contribute to disaster on The Highway Through Hell are, 1) wrong tires and 2) excessive speed.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5404005
Attachments
DIAMOND T 4 in a row.jpg
my friend's back yard

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Ralph Goff wrote:
nikkinutshop wrote:I turned the furnace on then went for b'fast at McD's. The furnace took some of the chill off, but the shop remained uncomfortable. After shuffling a few things around, I retired to the the warm house for a coffee and a nap.

After a week of wind chill factors in the -40s I have not done much more than the basic cattle chores outdoors. Just walking past the work shop as I know the temp in there will likely be in the 0 degree or below range. Shoveling snow and chopping ice helps keep warm and is good exercise too. Heard about the snow in B.C and figured it would be chaos on the streets and hills there.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:02 pm

Under normal conditions the traffic here on the West Coast is a terror a minute. I lost 10 of the guys I used to ride with to fatal motorcycle crashes, in the last 9 years. We were 23 guys who rode out for lunch a couple of times a month. Now there are 13 and now none of us ride.
When snow and ice are added to the mix, the situation goes beyond CRAZY.
The streets in this neighbourhood are very steep. Some of the drivers must think they can get their cars to move, up the street, if they go full throttle and hope for movement. My son went out to assist and got the dumb A$$ to back down the street onto the clear road where the city has removed the snow so the recycling truck can pass.
The snow load has either melted or settled to lass than half of what there was, yesterday. The sidewalks are clear and about a foot (32cm) remain on the lawn. The city cleared the front street, twice. The snow gets pushed onto the far side of the street and what is in front of the blade gets pushed over the curb and into the park at the bottom of the hill.
One of the neighbours always clears the snow, in the lane, behind his property. He never drives out in the snow with his 2wd vehicles. He has always been rude about three our family driving 4X4 vehicles, so when he showed up and asked for a ride to the shopping centre, I said no. My son offered to drive him for $50 each way, he said, no.
My newest neighbour has a renter from Alberta. This guy got up early and cleared all of the sidewalk for the 6 houses on this block. After the second snow dump, my son returned the favour.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:56 pm

This was my first day out in the shop and close to a week. I did the usual rodent patrol. There is no poop evidence, that I could see.
I aired up the car suspension and looked around for rodent evidence.
After servicing the brakes on my walker, I retired to the house.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Made some plugs for the intake/exhaust on my race bike. Suspected I had a crank seal leaking on the transmission side. Suspicions confirmed as the few psi I was putting in to it was coming out of the oil fill cap.

I pulled the engine and have it sitting on the bench now. I had a complete bottom end gasket but forgot to order a new folding lock washer for the clutch basket. Oops. Ordered it now, should have in a few days. First race of 2020 is Feb. 2nd in Sumter, SC.

-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:00 pm

That looks to be two stroke water cooled what it that? Do you race vintage or some other class? I'm not as up on Moto Cross and Enduro as I once was. Cool bike!
56 S120 4x4,
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion