WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Mine has a reversible PTO and a separate 2 speed box, for two forward and two reverse speeds. Even on high, it will lift a fully dressed Cummins 855 at idle. (about 3000 lbs) Add to that a winch brake and a "free wheel" for four levers in the cab. With the winch in powered or free wheel, you have two capstans that turn.
It is hard to use all the functions single handed, but I have used all of them at one time or another.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 pm

I measured the base cabinet of my PEXTO brake and made note of the weight. Next stop, CASTER WORLD for a set of ALGOOD 4 inch with phenolic caster wheels. I got two with brakes and two without brakes.
These casters will be mounted to angle iron on the outside of the cabinet. The cabinet will not be raised more than 1/2 inch.
The operators manual says the machine is unstable because of the ratio of the height, weight of the brake and where the brake is bolted too close to the front of the cabinet. The Pexto manual suggests tethering the brake to a solid wall.
I am trying to keep the same style casters on the heavier shop machines that need moving.
Attachments
caster location 2.jpg
caster location
caster location 1.jpg
caster location
rolling axle stand.jpg
CASTERS
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:08 pm

I tossed yesterday's caster bracket attempt in the scrap bin and started over. All of the bits came from stuff that was destined for recycling. I have about three hours of hobby time into this. Tomorrow I will final weld the pieces together after drilling a few holes.
The cabinet will be a "low-boy" with about a half inch, or less, floor clearance.
Attachments
caster location 2.jpg
caster location front.
caster location 1.jpg
caster location back
casters 4.jpg
casters 3.jpg
casters 2.jpg
casters 1.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:47 pm

Today I pulled the flywheel off of my square hay baler and replaced the bronze bushing on the main shaft and the steel bushing through which the shear bolt is threaded. I managed not to ruin either new part during installation nor drop the 300+ pound flywheel on my body parts.

During storage lubrication, I found six of the zerk fittings on the knotter assembly plugged. Those knotters are a work of genius- taking a continuous spool of twine, wrapping it around the bale and tying a knot in a matter of seconds, without stopping forming the next bale. I learned from an old-timer to never overgrease the knotters- one pump only. Well, when you can't even get one pump in, it makes for some consternation.

I tried my injection tool- load it up with diesel fuel and tap the plunger to force the fuel into the fitting, loosening up the grease area. No luck. No luck removing the fittings and reaming it out with small tools. I should remove the shafts and clean the bushings out, but I will not tear into this knotter system- no way it will work as well when I'm done, if at all. Next may be a heat gun to melt the old grease out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:19 pm

I was out and about doing the Don Quixote thing, today. So, I did not get very much done, in the shop. As a finish to the day, I stuck a finger against a belt grinder and took out a notch. I smell like bacon.
I was able to tack weld the brackets together and do a first test fit. I will be able to drill and bolt through the edge of lower shelf. I will not have to make a doubler for strength.
The cabinet will have a half inch floor clearance. (+-)
Attachments
CASTERS FIRST TEST FIT.jpg
The brakes go on the front
BACK CASTER FIRST FIT.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Other than some more much needed service, this brake is done. Sometime in the future, I would like to freshen the brake up with new paint. I have made a set simple handles for the ends of the brake cabinet. I should have them on tomorrow. (pictures to follow)
The first job for the brake was to make caps for the caster brackets.
My son took the thermocouple and pilot assembly out of the shop furnace, today. He went to a local plumbing shop and bought a new Honeywell thermocouple. The kid put it all back together and it works. We have heat.
Attachments
CASTER FINAL 2.jpg
BRAKE CASTER FINAL 1.jpg
capped

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Very nice, as usual.

In previous years, I used a hastily-built wooden table to place under the ground end of the hay bale elevator, to raise it up to wagon height. This Spring, I welded up a new one from scrap black pipe and expanded metal. As I get older, it's getting harder to climb on and off the wagons, so today I fashioned a step on the side of the table, then painted the whole thing. Of course, it's still too high for me, but that's another issue.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:24 pm

My Dad had a bale pick up machine. It was a tow-behind. When a bale would trip the lever in the grab and throw end, the bale would be lifted and tossed into the truck or trailer. If the speed was a little too high, the bale could and did knock our hired help off the wagon.
The bad old days on the 1950s farm were hazardous and living to tell the stories was total luck.
My sister and her husband have retired to semi-city life. They had a large farm in Southern Alberta. My brother-in-law says, "A farm is a god place to raise a family and a better place to slowly go broke." I think they did OK. They drive BMWs and their house is paid.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:33 pm

In my shop, its cold. Down around 20F and I didn't think I'd be there long enough to turn on the furnace and burn up some more expensive fuel. Swapping rear bumpers between the parts Mercury and the "driver" Mercury. 65 years of accumulated rust on fine threads is a real challenge at times. I'm trying to save the original bolts. Big half inch, fine thread is bit of over-kill maybe. I've hit one that is resisting my best efforts. Think it is time for the zip wheel.
Attachments
In the shed Nov 7.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Ralph, what is going white stuff on the ground?. Is it something you hauled in?
We are having a chilly but sunny day here.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion