WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

This is Lloyd's handmade office. My Grandfather made it in 1923.
Attachments
Gramma's outhouse.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:49 pm

I have Wifi ! and I Always do the paper work!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Spent Sunday pouring over websites and drawings looking to cross reference spoke hubs. It used to be no problem, but most if not all spoke hubs are no longer made or at least available in the US. That means I have to search thru what is available used and try and find line drawings to compare to what I need.
IHC is one of the few that use 3/4" studs on the drive axle. 5/8" or even 9/16" with taper cones are more common. Then there is bearings, and while most 38K-40K axles use the same bearings, the spacing between the inner and outer can vary. Then the length of the spoke itself can vary.
I had 2 spoke hubs salvaged from an old axle I bought years ago. These I could adapt by placing a spacer behind the inner bearing. I had my local machinest knock up 2) 1/2" spacers, changed the drum and the seal to match the new axle and one of the tandem was done.
Of the major MFG (Webb, Erie, Gunite Dayton) only Gunite had the info on the web. So if I located a hub, I had to 1st cross reference it to a Gunite number than pull up the drawing for that hub.
I was able to locate 3 hubs (only need two, but after all this, I am buying a spare) on the used market and should have them by the weekend. I also bought 4 used rims (7.50" x 20) as these also are getting hard to find in good condition. Only a few short years ago, they were still listed in Accurides catalog, along with HUB PIOLT 20" rims! both have since been dropped.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:04 pm

I picked up the rims and hubs yesterday. Odd thing, they cut the drums off the hubs! and left the tires on the rims! I didn't care about the drums, but wanted the attaching hardware. Also, there should be a "grease deflector" inside the drum, and these are NLA new. I can run without it, but it is there to deflect any oil that leaks past the seal away from the brakes. Had to order new hardware ($72) and there is a 2 week lead time on them. Also having the drums would allow me to get the numbers off them. More time spent looking at drawing to match up with the correct drums.
In the past when I bought hubs they left the drums on.
I am finding stuff going obsolete at an alarming rate. Wiper blades I bought last winter are NLA! I would have bought more if I knew they were going to stop making them. A few years ago I could buy new 20" tube type rims in Spoke, Stud pilot, and even Hub Pilot, now, none are in Accuride's catalog! It is why I grabbed the 4 20" rims when I got the hubs. New and a few used 22.5 tubeless are available, so as long as I am willing to run tubeless, shouldn't have a problem.
As Long as I can still get Hankook's AH11's in 10X20 size I'll run tube type.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:25 pm

As you say, they no longer make a lot of stuff, for those who run older equipment, I feel it is a way to "get" it off the roads. Your trucks can run all day long and haul a good load, and you (if you have parts) can keep it running when the newer stuff is down because of "computer" issues, that cost Thousands of dollars to diagnose and fix. I hope that you have planned for your retirement when you decide to. Like I have told others, I hope to say HI to some of you guys while traveling.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:34 pm

lbesq wrote:As you say, they no longer make a lot of stuff, for those who run older equipment, I feel it is a way to "get" it off the roads. Your trucks can run all day long and haul a good load, and you (if you have parts) can keep it running when the newer stuff is down because of "computer" issues, that cost Thousands of dollars to diagnose and fix. I hope that you have planned for your retirement when you decide to. Like I have told others, I hope to say HI to some of you guys while traveling.

You bring up something that was made very clear to me on my last trip. I was up in Montana and in the area that got hit hard with 24" of heavy wet snow. I was hauling a Bale Processor that made me 13' 8" tall(legal height in the west is 14'). I made it thru the worse of the snow, and was on US 2. All of a sudden I heard 2 big explosions like tires blowing 1/4 sec apart. I had hit a low hanging power line, pulled low from the heavy snow load. I never saw the line, it must have hit the machine. I wonder how a new computerized truck would have responded? Mine never miss a beat, and once safely away from the area, I got out and looked for damage. None to be seen. Must have been 15,000 volt line! It happened right where a 3 phase line crossed the hwy. I don't know if it shorted phase to phase or phase to ground thru the truck, but it sure made a loud bang!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Wow, am glad that nothing happened to you or your truck/load. If the electronics had been "hit" , you probably would be on the side of the road.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:50 pm

Does anyone know for sure that new trucks are susceptible to electronic damage from a situation like the one mentioned?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:05 pm

In theory, they shouldn't, as the "jolt" is only in one 1/2 of the system (ground plain) but it can induce a spike in the system, sort of an air core transformer effect, and that could cause a serious problem. I wouldn't want to count on it not effecting anything.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Now I'm curious about this. I have a friend at Kenworth Service , I will call him in the morning. I get my Holland New-Way leveling valves from KW. They have a great selection of LED lighting
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion