WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

I know "that guy". He used to call here from time to time. I have not heard from him in some time, so, it is nice to hear his Diesel Conversion is working.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:57 pm

My Dodge Ram is finished and ready to be picked up. The situation that caused the engine to stop was the DDRP lift pump. I installed this pump October 26, 2011 and it was $309. I just made it out of warranty before this DDRP stopped pumping. I would doubt the truck went more than 150,000 kilometers.
The shop owner suggested that I bring the truck back in the not too distant future for some attention to the exhaust system as it is getting "flakey". I suggested that he install a new system, now, and we agreed on a https://youtu.be/kPPk9TlwSqE
The truck will be ready for pickup tomorrow morning.
The bill will be close to two grand for what will have been done. I am OK with it. I am in a wheelchair about 50% of the time and I cannot get the Dodge into the shop for a lack of room. I refuse to lay out on the shop apron with the monsoon running in one ear and out the other ear. My hard a$$ biker friend, now deceased, used to say, "If you do not come home with your face slapped or your wallet drained, you probably didn't have any fun."

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:25 am

Ok, don't take this too seriously... An electric pump left you stranded with no warning, who would have thought it? Let the fun begin!
I just couldn't resist.. it was too good an opportunity

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 am

I drove my R120 for 225,000 miles and wore out a minimum of 4 diaphragm lift pumps. A cam drive diaphragm pump was OEM on the 6.9 Diesel I installed in that truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:47 am

The 6.9 in my service never had a lift pump change, don't know why it had over 200,000 miles on it, went thru C-6's every 45-50,000 miles (weighed 12K plus pulled a tandem axle trailer). Never left me stranded, even when I pulled the alternator or voltage regulator off to use on a piece of equipment out in the field.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:49 pm

CB89
I presume from your post, someone else was driving the service truck when the C6 automatics "went out". You stated the truck never let you down. I cannot be convinced that the OEM lift pump lasted so well. If the diaphragm did not fail, the fulcrum pin would break. I experienced the lever break crack and fail also.
This old technology is something I have left out of my life. You are welcome to my share of what is left on the shelf.
I have some stuff to bundle together, someone is coming to buy some of my "stuff".
The Dodge is home and it runs better than I ever remember. The new and bigger exhaust system sound great. So, I hope this is the end of the Diesel drama for a while.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:15 pm

I was driving, but they didn't fail totally, they started to slip and could "baby it home". IIRC it needed a wateroump, a few thermostats, a starter and a few transmission. I doubled the life of the trans when I took over driving it (instead of just maintaining) it. Added a very large trans cooler in series with the factory one and drilled the sprag clutch to increase the lube to it.
The previous field "mechanic" and I use that term loosely tried to "kill" it by running two tanks of unleaded thru it. It was still going strong, (but burned a fair bit of oil) when it was replaced at 260,000 miles. It was a pig, and I have no love for it, but it did most of what it was asked of it.
The newer ADO4 or what ever the FOrd OD that was placed behind the 7.3's would die in 20,000 mi. or less, in this service.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:20 am

Our R120 with the 6.9 V8 Diesel/C6 combination pushed the available cooling front area to the absolute maximum. I had a four row high efficiency custom built to fit the "R". The radiator had a 50% increase in front area presented to the road blast. The engine had a seven blade, 22 inch fan, 3 belt driven with a thermostat hub. I used a heat exchanger, engine coolant on one side and ATF on the other. The super heated ATF exited the C6 right out of the torque converter, where the ATF is at the highest temperature. The ATF then passed through a Trans Cool radiator with a thermostat controlled BMW electric fan. This assembly was mounted under the box and had air deflectors.
The trans-cooler is rated at 26,000#. There were a few times, in the summer heat, the trans cooler fan was on and I knew it was removing heat from the ATF. Some of the heat was picked up in the heat exchanger because the engine was not cooling enough. I had SW gauges to display heat. One was for the engine coolant. A second sender was for returning ATF. A third temperature sender was where the ATF exited the C6. These two sensors could be switched to display on the transmission temperature gauge.
I screwed up and had mounted the AC condensor too close to the radiator and the road blast air was restricted from passing through the radiator.
The biggest contributor to the failing of an A4OD was internal pressure dropping when the locking converter lowered the input speed and the pump was not able to make enough pressure to lock the clutches (brakes) and bands.
If a person drills an oil passage in one area, say, the sprag clutches. the already failing oil pressure will cheat another place. Sprag clutches are mechanical. The additional oil must have gone to something else.
Attachments
ATF oil cooler 2.jpg
oil cooler.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:22 am

The clutch that was drilled was on the C-6 so non- lock up, not the OD unit. It was something I picked- up when I worked at a trans shop that did work for a fleet of trucks in similar service, they also doubled the life of the trans. Never did find anything for the OD-lock-up trans.
IIRC the reason for the drill is that it increased the flow and pressure thru the drilling to the clutch pack not the sprag clutch itself. It has been 25 years or there abouts since I was inside a C-6. As I age I forget the things I don't use, so I remember doing the drilling (and it is hard steel so needs carbide to get thru it) but don't remember the oil flow diagrams in my head.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:26 pm

COPY AND PASTE:[u] the reason for the drill is that it increased the flow and pressure thru the drilling. ????

https://youtu.be/MI5Nk5pfd4s

https://youtu.be/gBzJGckMYO4
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion