WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

My shop has reached that point where something or somethings have to go. I am working on selling stuff.
I was in the shop yesterday looking for some wall space to hang two of these AKRO MILLS louver metal boards. I cannot afford the floor space. I may have a plan. I got the cart with the Akro Mils board assembly for $35 on Craigslist. I picked up about 750-800 of the blue bins in another Craigslist deal, that was $100. I think I might be able to mount the two louver plates on the wall and then cut the cart down to make a rolling base for the KELLER power hacksaw I found on CL.
Ralph, I would like to have a shop like yours.
I did a few other simple things while mourning the loss of a super deal on Craigslist. The seller had three LISTA cabinets for $100 each, must take them all. OBO. I told him my best offer is $500 for the set and I could go higher. The seller did not understand OBO to be that way and sold the three cabinets for $300 to the person who called a minute ahead of me. . I offered the guy who beat me out of the cabinets $500 and he said he might take $600 after he had a chance to think about it.
I made the best of a less than desirable situation and sold a 9 drawer cabinet I bought last week. I am still not happy.
A decade before I retired, I built 27 side cabinets like this RED one with the stainless doors and drawer. I kept this one for myself and the other went to fellow employees. The deal was, $25 toward the coffee fund and you supply the material. The material was $40, I picked up the material at Metal Supermarket to make it easier for me. I did and do not have the patience to explain the why to a bunch of persons who are unfamiliar. I never got paid for 18 cabinets. The money was for the coffee fund, not for me. I despise cheaters and cheap persons.
Attachments
SIDE CABINET I MADE.jpg
I made this side cabinet
SIDE CABINET I MADE 2.jpg
home made for my espresso machine and safety protection.
akro mills 2.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:14 am

nikkinutshop wrote: Ralph, I would like to have a shop like yours.

A decade before I retired, I built 27 side cabinets like this RED one with the stainless doors and drawer. I kept this one for myself and the other went to fellow employees. .

Your cabinets look like good value for the money.
My shop is, like the two bigger ones on the farm, too full. Never would have dreamed I'd need all that space when they were built but in all honesty I just have too much stuff. I'm bad at throwing away, or even selling stuff. I'm much better at bringing home more junk.
Since the temp got up above zero (F) today I was inspired to work in the shop on the 53 Merc. The furnace was a little reluctant to start at first but I soon had it up to 10 degrees in there. Got the front seat and floor mat out of the car and a good luck at how bad the rust is. Its almost a "Fred Flintstone car". I just keep reminding myself that the 52 Merc was even worse for rust damage when I started on it 3 years ago so this one should be no problem. We shall see.
Attachments
26758331_10155030552111689_4109030124536754925_o.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Looks like the bottom of the accelerator pedal is searching for something to attach to...

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Holy floorboard, Batman.

https://youtu.be/XM-fzsesCR8

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Holy floorboard, Batman.

https://youtu.be/XM-fzsesCR8

Yes, EMS has everything I need. Then I need to buy a mig welder and learn how to use it. All good ideas and I won't say it will never happen. But at this point I am just going to cut up some old stove pipes into the right shapes to cover the holes, sheet metal screw them in place and throw on some carpet or rubber mats. I know, crude as all get out but its my style. If it drives well and looks half decent from fifty feet away I am happy enough. If I spend a small fortune on all that stuff to fix up an old sedan that will never be worth as much as it cost to fix, it would take some of the fun out of the whole venture. I know its not the way everybody thinks but its where I am right now.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm

I took out my LUFKIN today and struck some fear and trembling in the remaining resident toolboxes in the shop. Every one of them is at risk of the dreaded Craigslist. My latest and greatest good deal has gone to a new home.
My Franz Kuhlmann pantograph could be next on the list of expendables. Nothing is safe. not even the Southbend lathe
Attachments
FRANZ KUHLMAN PANTOGRAPH 1.jpg
SOUTHBEND 16 X 120.jpg
LUFKIN AND OTHERS FROM OVER THE YEARS.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:21 am

Quite the collection of tapes, Nikki- do you have any that do not read out in feet and inches? I was helping my Dad put up a shed in his back yard years ago, and when we got the trusses up and temporarily laid out, something was clearly wrong. I happened to look more closely at the tape he had given me to use, and it was in feet and tenths of feet. Instead of 16 inches, my side was 1.6 feet apart. Best we could tell it was a holdover from Grandpa's machine shop days, but I chucked it in the trash just to be safe!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:01 pm

The tape measures in the picture are about a third of the total number. I have metric, inches and Metric, a gauge tape for laying out vertical brick spacing and another tape for converting diameter into circumference and vise versa. There are several 100 foot tapes with a folding side crank for winding the tape in. The 100 foot tapes are, one in laser etched stainless in a stainless case, I had two painted 100s in plastic cases and gave one for a b'day present. Another 100' is in a steel case and covered in red leather. There is a small selection of vintage folding measures in steel, stainless, and wood. I have my first LUFKIN WHITE CLAD square body with black on white tape. I got it in 1962. There are several of the white clad matching tapes. I have one of the tapes in tenths and I can't say I ever used it. One of my 100' is put away and it has not been used in 50 years. It has dried blood on it from from one or more fatal accident investigations. Even after cleaning, it never completely goes away. That was a difficult job and time in my career. I did
it for several years. I'm still bothered by some of what I saw. Now it is called PTSD. I'm okay with it now because I got help.
I have always had a fascination with measuring tools. One of my STARRETT devices will measure to 1/10,000 of an inch. I have several Starrett levels that can show a 1/1000" over 18 inches. I got them at estate sales for $100 each. The tool store has them priced just under a grand, each. The accuracy is so sensitive, I can make the bubble move by warming the level with my hand. Beyond leveling a few lathes and milling machines, I don't ever use these levels. I don't need to be that fussy. Although, I did level the frame, once, for our L110 Shorty 4X4 project when the frame was on adjustable stands. I made the stands with one inch ACME screws, beveled gears and side cranks. They are easily adjustable to 1/1000 inch. Why?????
Attachments
STARRETT 4 INCH LEVEL.jpg
Starrett 4 inch
TORQUE WRENCHES.jpg
torquw wrenches
VIBRA-TECH TACHOMETER.jpg
vibra-tach
TRUE ENGLISH REVOLUTION COUNTER.jpg
revolution counter
STARRETT LEVEL 3.jpg
starrett level
STARRETT LEVEL 1.jpg
Starrett level
STARRETT 18 INCH LEVEL.jpg
starrett level

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:20 pm

I would love to have a look around your workshop Nikkinutshop, it appears you have absolutely everything. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:40 pm

You are welcome anytime.
I can think of a few things. LOL
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion