WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

cornbinder89 wrote:
b4autodark wrote:Yeah, he was right about the two boot deal, I've used that one myself, oil with neatsfoot too.

OH, I thought it "needs foot oil" , so I kept wearing them barefoot, didn't seam to help! :t1809:

LOL! to cold to go without socks here today.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:39 am

I use Hubers shoe grease. it is great, keeps the leather supple and makes then darn near waterproof.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:37 pm

At around -20F it was too cold to spend more than an hour in the shop here. With the South door open gathering the solar energy it was not too bad. Gave me a chance to try out one of my Christmas presents, a new shop vac. Just the thing for cleaning up the new Merc.
Attachments
New shop vac small.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:25 pm

I bought a stainless steel SHOP VAC at a local garage sale. The seller apologised about not emptying the can. I put the VAC in the truck after paying and drove off. There was a dozen beer and ice in the can, My mind went blank and I forgot where I bought the Shop Vac.
It is cold here, but not the kind of cold Ralph is "enjoying".
I turned the shop furnace on and went to McDonalds for a drive-thru coffee. The Cummins 24 valve barked like an angry dog in protest for having been disturbed.
The shop was just comfortable when I returned in 30 minutes. We soft West Coasters are suffering with minus 4 Celsius. My neighbour said he is freezing his a$$ off. HIs butt should register about 4 on the "open ended rectum scale", when it hits the frozen ground.
I removed the three phase motor and mag switch from my newly aquired hacksaw, took pictures and posted the switch and motor on Craigslist. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/tls ... 93863.html If this stuff is still here when the ad expires, the motor and switch go in the scrap.
Attachments
MAG SWITCH.jpg
three phase
HACKSAW MOTOR WESTINGHOUSE HALF.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:12 pm

SMALL WORLD

A male person responding to my Craigslist ad for free motor and control. We met at McD's for the exchange. The man said he knew me and after a reminder from him, I remembered responding to his CL advertisement for Rockwell-Beaver machine base. His collection was dozens of radial arm saws. His shop is like a museum for that style of saw. I have a vintage, small, Craftsman radial arm saw, so, we may do some trading. Well, that is how I saw it.
I got into my stash of good electric motors and I found a boxed BALDOR 1/2 hp, 1725 rpm frame 56, external fan cooling with a 5/8" shaft. Perfect for the power hack saw. I forgot that I had this electric motor until a few days ago.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:35 pm

I reassembled the new-to-me power hacksaw and installed a Baldor 1/2 horsepower motor. After wiping the saw down with some mineral spirits it looks almost like new. Restoration will have to wait until after I knock some of the paint off the saw.
Attachments
BALDOR 2.jpg
BALDOR 1.jpg
HACKSAW WITH BALDOR.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:47 pm

I did not think my new-to-me power hacksaw was all that heavy, after-all, the base is not a solid block. So, why does my back hurt? I got out my crane scale and hung the saw. It took 198.5 pounds of lift to lift the saw clear of the floor.
I will be making a rolling machine base for the saw in the next few daze.
Attachments
Mobile Base.jpg
mobile base WF&J Barnes drill.jpg
HACKSAW WEIGHT.jpg
HACKSAW HANGING ON SCALE.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:08 pm

I modified one of the caster carts I found on Craigslist. The caster-base just fit the bottom of my new-to-me 9 drawer cabinet in the "Y" direction and not the "X" so I cut the extra width out. A few 3/16" pop-rivets and the modified base was done in 20 minutes.
It took one minute longer to adjust the drawer roller tracks than it did to affix the mobile base.
Attachments
CARTS WITH CASTORS cut lines.jpg
carts with casters.jpg
cabinet with 9 drawers.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 am

Nikki, Years ago I had a friend that built a machine-shop in his garage, he kept switch out 3 phase motors but sometimes replacements in single phase were hard to find, I convinced him to let me install a phase converter for him. Today VFD (variable frequency drives) are available that not only give three phase output from single phase input, but can be used to vary the motor speed. With all that you have, I would recommend going that route, instead of motor swaps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:53 am

That is good advice, however, this was the only three phase motor situation I have had to work with.
Having three phase power would give me more options. I have been looking for a Bridgeport milling machine. It would appear these machines are all three phase. I have an import medium duty milling machine now. If the right BP became available, I would likely make a change. There is one nice BP on our Craigslist right now.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion