Attachments
hammer storage.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Sorry Lloyd, it is too late now, but you could have had the SRT for just showing up for it.
Nikki, I would have come get it and probably given a bit, but my covered trailer is hauling a race car around for a bit and Yesterday, I was sitting on the side of the road with what I hope in NOT a blown motor on my GMC. I lost a water pump on a long hill, and on the down side it registered and blew lots of "coal" got pulled off the road and the truck shut down. Will not start. Waited three hours for tow to come and take it to a town 22 miles away. currently sitting there along with the flat bed trailer with an 06 Mitsubishi evo on it. Oh, well hope to have them all home tomorrow, glad my son has trucks and car haulers.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Nice selection Nikkinutshop, just got home 23:00hrs, being on call can suck. i'll try take photos tomorrow if i don't get call out. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:55 pm

My long time friend was in my shop for a visit today. After four hours and lots to talk about and he left for his home. We have been friends for 50 years.
We are both in our 70s now and our hair has gone white. We both retired in 2004.
Time has "thinned the herd" and there are only a few of us left in 2017. It seems that we call each other more often now, he says this is because there are fewer options on the call list and neither of us are looking for new friends.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:42 pm

After suffering the indignities of successful prostrate cancer treatment, every pee event is now an emergency, more or less. I had just returned from McD's and my large coffee cup was empty. I filled the cup to 80% and after putting the lid on, I set the cup on the fender protector on my 1940 Ford. As I rolled past the car, the fender protector caught on the shop chair and the cup tipped onto my left side. I can see the humour is this.
My Mother used to say, "Do not cry over spilled something or other."

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:11 pm

Is that something like do not throw liquid into the wind? Better than in the face!
Once the GMC is back on the road, I want to travel, may-hap up your way and on to visit a few others.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:06 pm

I replaced the battery in my hydraulic powerpac, today. The last battery was 8 1/2 years old and just stopped. The original battery was a discounted reconditioned unit. The battery store guy says the long life is the result of the battery tender.
The portable unit has a built on battery tender with a retractable cord. The powerpac can be used as a portable booster.
The powerpac powers the motorcycle lift/workbench and can power the hydraulic press.
Of course it is MADE IN USA I made the hydraulic table in Canada
Attachments
MOTORCYCLE LIFT 1.jpg
motorcycle lift table
ADJUSTABLE RETURN VALVE.jpg
adjustable oil return valve
HYDRAULIC POWERPAC 2.jpg
powerpac
HYDRAULIC POWERPAC 3.jpg
HYDRAULIC REMOTE.jpg
remote
HYDRAULIC RESERVOUR.jpg
reservour
HYDRAULID POWERPAC1.jpg
powerpac

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:20 pm

I tore apart my Lawn Genie today. I use a Lawn Genie flail mower/collection device setup for mowing down the cover crop we plant between grape rows in our vineyard. We plant rye after spreading manure and tilling it in well. The cows then get to eat the rye when the pastures dry up in the summer time, they love the little green loafs this rig makes.

Saturday, I heard an ominous clunking when I started into a row, it stopped when I got the PTO shut off as it coasted down. Today I removed and opened up the gearbox- three broken teeth on one gear, a bunch of chipped up teeth on the other. M-C no longer makes the Genie, and the Superior Gearbox company called my part number obsolete. They have an updated number for about $400, but twelve week lead time. Curtis Machine company has an identical unit, but $600. Surplus Center came up short on 2:1 increaser boxes. Still looking, but will probly order the Superior. Three months is a long time to wait as the grass grows daily...

Also got into replacing a sheared roll pin in the electric valve operator on the grape sprayer- one side failed last spray, the other this morning.

High humidity and 90F today, too hot to work in the sun for long.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:51 pm

I was rummaging around the shop and I found a next to new Walker Turner Bandsaw Welder. I bought it over 10 years ago and I have never used it. I guess I forgot it was there. Anyway, I have been buying fabricated blades locally. So, I kissed it goodbye and put the blade welder on Craigslist for $675.00. This is the same model as the Dayton 4TJ96 that often sells for well over $1200usd. This is the last of the really good MADE IN USA machines.
I tool another PRAT chuck apart for service. This is another chuck that came in a big box of Myford Lathe accessories and tooling. The chuck was stuck, but a few shots of MOOVIT and a gentle tap or two with a brass hammer and magic happened.
The Myford is getting a total restoration. It is in very good condition even though it looks like $hit. I had entertained selling this MYFORD but ......................... a couple of hundred will not make the deal. I need around $3000.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:07 pm

I did not get out to the shop today. The smoke from the burning forests north of here is thick enough to compromise my breathing. So, I opted for the air-conditioned indoors, in the basement and did a quick inventory of the nearly overwhelming stock of L&R body parts. There are enough parts to complete one L or R truck and have a good start on two more cabs. I had parted out 14 trucks and only kept the rust free sheetmetal. I counted 19 small window doors, 2 really nice "L" grills, 3 "R" grills including one "R" grill that looks like NOS. I found two nice tailgates next to the basement door then 1 more near my wife's wine cellar. I know I have 2 more L&R tailgates in a Wells Cargo Car Hauler, one is NOS. There are too many L&R front and rear fenders to count. My son says there is possibly 2 left rear fenders with the spare tire indent. I do not remember how two L&R windshields arrived. My kid says we took one out of a short "L" and the other windscreen is still in a wood packing crate.
I gave two milk crates of L&R gauges to a reseller and I thought that was all of them. I found two more sets today complete with speedo cables. There is an American Bosch dual drive 6 volt wiper system. I may check a parts book to see if it is complete.
I bought two Simplicity steel cases 30 years ago. Today there are 8 of these cases. Two of the cases are dedicated to IHC trim and small parts. If a person can think of something there will likely be multiples of it.
So, what are the long term plans for all of this stuff? I want to reserve enough parts for my son's L110 Shorty. Whether or not I am able to finish the IHC Crewcab, I have in storage, I will need four doors and other pieces to make it saleable.
It is time to take an inventory and clear the basement. The volume of IH parts is almost overwhelming.
Attachments
SIMPLICITY CABINET 2.jpg
SIMPLICITY CABINET 1.jpg
Simplicity cabinet
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion