WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Nikki, It's good to know that even across borders teachers have to deal with the same issues. My biggest issues are kids that are hungry and kids that are apathetic. I have also dealt with a lot of apathetic parents, the sort that when you call home with concerns tend to answer you with, "so?"
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 pm

I have been asking my son to take my '40 Ford off the rolling jack stands, for me. He has been so very busy in the last weeks. When he showed up for supper today, I was going to remind him and before I had a chance, he said, "The car is on the floor, Dad."
He also fixed the shop, man-door handle. That was yesterday.
Today I am still wanting to get out to the shop. The temperature is just above freezing and the humidity is very high. It feels really miserable out there. My fiend MagIHC Mike says there is snow at the top of The Highway Through Hell. Mike lives in Merritt.
Attachments
1971 BINDER BIG SNOW.jpg
rolling axle stand.jpg
rolling axle stand 2.jpg
ROLLING AXLE STANDS.jpg
KEEP OUT 40 FORD.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:18 am

Monday was my weekend this week, and I spent much of it asleep- still trying to get back on day shift after three months of nights. But I managed a little shop work today.

I'm looking for connectors for new snow plow lights for my new-to-me plow. The existing lights are the square single bulbs, new ones are twin bulb, more aerodynamic, and frameless. But, of course, they don't fit the plow frame, either in wiring connector nor mounting bolts. Some assembly required, indeed.

The local electronics shop is for sale, but still open. The owner wants to move the business and remain open, he'd really like to find a young buyer willing to work his way into the business, no luck yet. He does not have Deutch style connectors, and suggested a salvage yard. I think I'll just cut, strip, solder and shrink wrap- hopefully I'll never change these light fixtures out again.

One project I needed to finish before the plow lights was shop lighting. I have purchased four LED corn-row bulbs to replace the 300W incandescent I used to use in the shop. I wired in the four shaded fixtures when the pole barn was new, and have since added a 16X16 loft in one corner, which made one fixture too close to that loft, not centered in the open space. So, I moved that one fixture over about six feet to balance out the light.

Additionally, I had purchased a 30K lumen LED fixture before the corn row lamps to see if I needed those instead. It is very bright, more than I needed in the storage areas, but I often need more light when working in the Summer with the overhead door open. So, I crafted a crude lamp suspension bracket from angle iron and used it to mount the 30K fixture up and under the open roll-up overhead door, yet above the door framing opening itself. I need most all of the twelve foot opening to run hay wagons inside- seven bales high on the strings will fit fine. So the light has to be above the hay, but under the door. It is cast of some light metal, but not weightless, so the angle is only cantilevered 60 inches under the door.

With the corn row lamp moved and the addition of the 30K fixture, the oil change/tire rotation/all purpose auto and farm mechanic area is now extremely well lit. Now, on to the welding bench area lights.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:42 am

Changing to LED lighting was a good choice for my shop. The florescent buzzing is gone.
Last year I had a roll up door installed to replace the original folding overhead door. The new door does not block the LED lights. LED is so much brighter.
If I were to build my shop again, I would not have any windows. The outside light makes it difficult to see inside. I installed Venetian blinds on all of the windows within a month of finishing the shop. That was 1990.
Because of the city building restrictions, the ceiling to floor is ten feet. I would have preferred 12 feet.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:15 am

nikkinutshop wrote:I have been asking my son to take my '40 Ford off the rolling jack stands, for me. He has been so very busy in the last weeks. When he showed up for supper today, I was going to remind him and before I had a chance, he said, "The car is on the floor, Dad."
He also fixed the shop, man-door handle. That was yesterday.
Today I am still wanting to get out to the shop. The temperature is just above freezing and the humidity is very high. It feels really miserable out there. My fiend MagIHC Mike says there is snow at the top of The Highway Through Hell. Mike lives in Merritt.

I like them rollers, and the 40, looks cool, you going to take a road test this spring?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:16 pm

I have failed to meet my goals more than a few times. Health has been the biggest problem, intermittently. I will do my best to be road ready in the spring. Old age and all that goes with it has become my failure point. I have learned to walk past the Ford and not see it.
I find it difficult to get motivated on these chilly, overcast and gloomy days.
I am going to get back at the car, starting this afternoon.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:44 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Changing to LED lighting was a good choice for my shop. The florescent buzzing is gone.
Last year I had a roll up door installed to replace the original folding overhead door. The new door does not block the LED lights. LED is so much brighter.
If I were to build my shop again, I would not have any windows. The outside light makes it difficult to see inside. I installed Venetian blinds on all of the windows within a month of finishing the shop. That was 1990.
Because of the city building restrictions, the ceiling to floor is ten feet. I would have preferred 12 feet.

Yep, this is the third building I've planned now, and hopefully the best. My needs have changed over the years, but some of them remain- 15 foot sidewalls allow for useable loft spaces, no extra windows/doors to limit wall space. Well lit, white interior helps every job, be able to clean every surface, the easier the better, it'll get done more often. In-floor heat may be the best idea ever for a shop you use for laying on the floor at times! Pay attention to the pitch of the concrete floor, it gets harder to change as time goes on.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:17 pm

I moved a few machines and made better use of the floor space. I aired up the suspension in my old Ford and did a detailed check for rodents.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:11 pm

I finished the new brackets I made for the new aftermarket snow plow lights I installed on the plow frame, wired them up, and spent some time rearranging the wires on the frame. I think I can make some improvements to the harness, but not right now- it works, and I don't want to mess with that success.

Now, I need to drag the '89 Chevy up from out back and get it running and up for sale. The squirrels have done a number on the wiring under the hood- even ate through number one plug wire!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:55 pm

I dropped the T-9 transmission out of my truck getting it ready for the T-98. It came out fairly easy. There's still a little prep work to the T-98 before it goes in and then I'm looking at some driveshaft alteration to wrap up the project. I'm also working on a Harley Davidson in the other bay doing an exhaust system and some cosmetic work.
56 S120 4x4,
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion