What If My Collection Burned?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:14 am

What If My Collection Burned?

Or yours?
This is terrible! I feel so badly for this man.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1076216

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:10 am

Re: What If My Collection Burned?

Unfortunately he didn't have insurance for collection or building.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/antique-car-a ... -1.3321341

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:36 am

Both of those news stories are the same guy. South of Edmonton and north of Red Deer are nearly the same place. Anyway the bearded hoarder looks like the same person in both stories.
I would be surprised if any of the lost vehicles were restored. I may not have been affordable to buy loss insurance on a bunch of possibilities. How would an insurance company put a total loss value on what might look like a pile of old junk to the appraiser? this stuff has little value as it is. I am curious how an abandoned barn will catch on fire.
There are hundreds of junk collectors across Western Canada all hanging onto piles of old vehicles that they will get-around-to-it. I drove out to Rose Town SK to look at and buy several vehicles. The guys collection was possibly 1000 vehicles that had been dragged home by the great grandfather and now the great grandson over nearly 80 years. I had an appointment through a broker this guy had hired to help sell the vehicles. The owner met me at my truck and told me he was not in the mood and was going out on his quad. And so it goes time and time again. I had driven 27 hours from the Vancouver, BC area to get to Rose Town.
If this stuff is not on someone's schedule for immediate restoration it is scrap and at best parts for an ongoing project for someone..
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:Or yours?
This is terrible! I feel so badly for this man.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1076216

Yes many not insured as you have to have each appraised and this affects the cost of your insurance. We all know that. I had a 95 year old guy want to sell me 9 K and KBs. So when I called him to view he back-pedalled. Said he's not ready.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:46 pm

A local guy has/had a huge collection of IH Scouts, all years and all models. At on time he had 150+ Scouts on his property and 100 of the Scouts were in his unused chicken barns, the other sat out in the elements. A year or so ago he had 50 or more Scouts hauled away and crushed for the scrap money. I have been told that this person will not sell anything 99% of the time. He came here for a visit and the first thing he blurted out was his scrapping episode. If he had not been with a friend of mine, I would have thrown him out.
For years I was trying to buy a never used L&R tailgate and it was not for sale. When the "R" was delivered new, to the first owner, he took the tailgate off and replaced it with wood and a grain door. The tailgate went up in the rafters of the shop for the next 35 years. Finally it became time to sell the TG and I bought it for $200 and a second unused TG for a Mercury pickup an additional amount.
I still have the NOS IHC tailgate and the MERCURY TG went to the highest bidder.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Nikki, the poor man's description of his burned vehicles reminded me of my fleet. Everything was...modified...somehow. 4wd Model Ts and such. Either he had a garage full of priceless one of a kind vehicles and parts or it was a glorified junk collection.
Which brings me to my collection: if I'm the only one who thinks it's worth anything then NOW is the time to have fun with it. No one else will care.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 pm

If you do not "have fun with it now" when the time comes, it will not matter to you and you will not know what happens to it. So I am with you on this one sir.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:32 pm

He said" "when the time comes," Are you referring to the inevitable death that we all will face? I hope the post mortem of my life does not say, "He left all of this unfinished junk for us to deal with." After the dearly beloved gather, leave and the smoke from the funeral pyre clears the question will be, "Does anyone know what to do with this scrap? Someone call MAGIHC MIKE!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Lloyd agrees and Nikki invokes Magihc Mike.
Must be the thirteenth. :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:36 pm

It is the 13th all day, here in the Northern Hemisphere. Evokes. I had to look that one up. Not bad.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion