What If My Collection Burned?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:31 am

Re: What If My Collection Burned?

my wife and I were visiting my late 80's parents a couple weeks ago in western Colorado. I mad e mention that I am slowing getting stuff sorted out, organized, trashed, etc. for our pending quit work episode and move on with life post career. My mother then said they needed to do that. My father replied he was not going to do anything and would leave that task to me and my younger brother. He was smiling when he said it.

oh and happy pi day.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:59 pm

I am rapidly coming to the point that I need to sell or give away some of my old trucks. I am never going to have the time to fix up the old DART, and it is too good to go to scrap. My Fleetstars will not garner much love from anyone, so I have to decide if I should try and get the one to run, and sell or just pick it apart for the valueable stuff and have the rest hauled off.
It is not in my nature, I see the value in anything not beyond hope, but working for a living and trying to keep 3 semi tractors in useable condition takes all my time.
I have a '76 Goldwing I haven't been on in 15 years, cause I don't have the time.
I have two K's that I will keep.
If my barn burned tomorrow, none of the vehicles within are insured, in fact, none of my vehicles carry anything but liability. The reason is simple, anything over 3-5 years will be totaled, or will be cheap enough to fix without insurance. Since my folks gave up driving, the newest vehicle we own is their 1999.
If I ever restore my K's I doubt I would insure them either, Sure, there is the money I spent, but you can not replace them, so I would be getting a check and have nothing, meanwhile, I will have paid dearly for the insurance every year.
I don't know one happy customer who has insured a classic and had a major claim that was satisfied with the outcome.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:16 am

Sad story on the loss of all his life's work and collection. That could have been me, except for the number of vehicles. A bunch of interesting but not particularly valuable old vehicles that I'll probably never restore. I'll have tons of fun driving my old rusties while I can.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:03 am

I have insurance on my KB 1 while it sits in my garage and I am working on it. The insurance will cover for loss in case of fire, or theft. it only costs me $12 every six months, so the way I look at it, I can't afford not to.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:58 am

I, like the last poster, carried Insurance on my non IHC while it was under construction, now, it has regular Insurance. The shop and contents is a different policy.
If what you have has value to you, do your own risk assessment and get coverage of your choice. You may need a second opinion from an appraisal.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion