A Non IH Truck Video

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:27 pm

A Non IH Truck Video

I could have shot this video of one of the IH trucks but they are stored away for the winter. So here is the 49 Mercury yard ornament that I work on intermittently. https://youtu.be/SsmxYxmgVE0

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:18 am

Re: A Non IH Truck Video

Your usual high-voltage narration, Mr. Goff! Thank you! :)
No racoons, here. Rats, yes.
I'd never seen a Mercury truck up close. Good luck on that stuck motor. I've got a stuck '34 Ford truck V-8 that still has not budged. Pretty discouraging.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 am

Monsonmotors wrote:Your usual high-voltage narration, Mr. Goff! Thank you! :)
No racoons, here. Rats, yes.
I'd never seen a Mercury truck up close. Good luck on that stuck motor. I've got a stuck '34 Ford truck V-8 that still has not budged. Pretty discouraging.

Most are telling me I will need to lift the heads at least and probably the intake manifold as well to get that engine un seized. Valves are notorious for sticking on flatheads. Timing gears can break if too much force is used.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Interesting video! Mercury trucks are very rare here in the middle of the US. A mechanic near where I grew up had a pair of them. Those are the only two I've ever seen in person.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:42 pm

A fellow in a town near me has a mid 50's Mercury p/u he brings out to shows around the area. It's in really decent shape. I seem to recall it parked beside my truck a couple years ago.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:32 pm

Please stop showing pictures of the Canadian Prairie. I would like to be back there, but my significant other would not like to go with me. HMMM? This might work out??? :h0231:
I like your videos.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:22 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Please stop showing pictures of the Canadian Prairie. I would like to be back there, but my significant other would not like to go with me. HMMM? This might work out??? :h0231:
I like your videos.

Funny, I keep hearing about all the prairie people moving to B.C. to escape our terrible winters.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Mr. Goff and Nikki it looks so peaceful out there on the plains.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 pm

We get lots of Prairie people moving out here to the Coast for the mild climate and then leaving as fast as they arrive because of the weather. It is possible to find rain somewhere here on the Lower Mainland almost every day. The land rises so quickly from the sea and the moist air also rises then dumps moisture as rain. It is possible to have a sunny warm and dry day at Lonsdale Quay while the buses from Lynn Valley arrive at the Sea Bus Terminal dripping wet from rain high in the mountains. Lynn Valley gets about 176 inches (450cm) of rain in a year.
I am not the only person to have gone sailing in English Bay for most of the day then go skiing under the lights on Grouse Mountain in the same day.
When I say that much of our land stands on end and some of the roads are very steep, it is not too much of an exaggeration. English bay is at sea level and Grouse Mountain ski area is 1231 meters above sea level. This is all within the Greater Vancouver limits. It is common practice to block off roads like Royal Oak, Lonsdale and a few others until the road crews clear the snow.
I live within fifteen minutes of some of the best Indian and Chinese restaurants in the world. The nearest Mexican Restaurant is an hour away through heavy city traffic and the metered street parking is $5/hour.
The lane behind my garage drops 8-10 feet over the width of a 50 foot lot. In the last week it was raining so hard that I could not see my son's Jeep Wrangler across the street. Within minute of the rain stopping, the sun came out and in 30 minutes the road was dry. When this heavy rain starts flowing, our street looks like a river. The rapid flowing water hits the parked car tires and the spray can go over a meter straight up.
When the tide comes in the Fraser River can back up as far as 70 kilometers.
The average price of a detached single family home here is well over one million dollars. This area with our view is about twice that much. My significant other and I are one each side of 70 and moving is not a welcome option for us. So, we sill stay and leave it all to our kids to fight over. Revenge is sweet.
My Costco tube and tarp canopy in the carport had about a foot of snow on it. The heavy rain came and my daughter went out to try and clear the snow. There was a ripping sound followed by a whoosh and the snow was inside the carport cover. A week later, the snow in the carport is gone and mostly dry.
My dream is to be on the Prairies. The logistics of getting there is my nightmare.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:57 am

nikkinutshop wrote:
I live within fifteen minutes of some of the best Indian and Chinese restaurants in the world. The nearest Mexican Restaurant is an hour away through heavy city traffic and the metered street parking is $5/hour.

The average price of a detached single family home here is well over one million dollars.
My dream is to be on the Prairies. The logistics of getting there is my nightmare.

$5 an hour for parking! I've spent years working hard for less than that. Million dollar homes? I could buy a pretty nice little farm with decent home for that much. But I've already got one.
Monsonmotors, its peaceful most of the time out here in the middle of nowhere alright and I have no desire to be anywhere else.
Here is a link to a video of me "driving to work" recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcqJXzKQUBA
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion