Why the obsesion with a push button?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Why the obsesion with a push button?

I have a MOTORS MANUAL from the 1950s. The Motors manual and a bunch of others came from our service station. The 1950s manual has about 300 pages of detailed information on fifty makes of vehicles for 50 years. IHC is not mentioned. I bought a Daimler Chrysler shop service manual for my 2002 Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4. The manual is more than 1000 pages of detail information.
My employer had a library of binders for the vehicles we worked on. It was impossible to know everything all of the time. It was generally held that the smartest mechanic was the one who knew how to read. Photo-copies of relevant pages were always available to us. The company paid a subscription to Cummins Insite Professional and each of us had the entry code. The Cummins access was a computer on a "crash-cart".
Detroit Diesel, DDEC had a multi thousand dollar scan system from Kent Moore. The Kent Moore scan tool was almost free, the cartridges cost hundreds of dollars, each and had to be signed out.
One of the bonuses of getting old is forgetting so much stuff. Another bonus of old age is not giving a $hit about knowing stuff. The internet has changed so much of the need to know to knowing how to how to use GOOGLE.
Guys like CB89 and Scottso are a special breed of sharp minds.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:57 am

I have a kit for adjusting the starter on the "foot start" models of way back.. Push button start is just one more thing that can go wrong. Like power windows and a/c

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:37 am

Windigo, that's cool! Looks like it wasn't used much! :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:02 am

Monsonmotors wrote:Windigo, that's cool! Looks like it wasn't used much! :)

I thought so..the other box is all stamped Carter tools for carb repair. Got both boxes together at Restore.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm not expecting any problems with AC or PW. I don't drive all original old IHC trucks because that is a problem looking for a place to happen.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 pm

I thought that I had a bunch of useless and obsolete tools, but you may have me beat. I often fall victim to "The price was too good to-----" or "It looks really interesting. What may have been one of my more useless tools is a dial gauge for measuring crankshaft deflection on very old Ruston Hornsby engines. I have the engine and I have the tool. Now I need to figure out how to use the tool/gauge. The engine has become a 4000 pound dust collector and paper weight. I could be for sale to the first person with $10,000cdn.
https://youtu.be/opdC_Qcvwso

https://youtu.be/Bdov04Hk2I8

https://youtu.be/ECNcxpDrPv4
Attachments
Ruston HR 2.jpg
Ruston crank gauge.jpg
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion