BREAKFAST

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:19 pm

BREAKFAST

Everybody has a first meal of the day that could qualify as Breakfast. What is your favorite food that starts your day? Do you go for something that kick-starts the day or something less radical that glides you into you into your awake time? Do you have a favorite restaurant that makes your day start off on the right foot? What is it that makes that eatery your favorite?
I suppose I should say something about my ideas of what makes a great b'fast for me, since I have suggested this subject.
My favorite at home breakfast is a fried egg, over hard, a couple of breakfast sausages and some BUSH brown beans, a sliced and grilled tomato with a single slice of peanut butter toast with a low carb jam or marmalade. I like SRIRACHA sauce, AKA ROOSTER SAUCE, on the egg and beans and from time to time some HP on the sausages.
When I or we go out for b'fast it is always to the local WHITESPOT RESTAURANT. We have been going there for years. My favorite breakfast entre' is their NAT'S HEARTY BREAKFAST. I substitute a sliced and grilled tomato for the potato. Their coffee is very good and the waitresses are really good and easy on the eyes. If I am in a big hurry, I often do the McD's drive through and order their Sausage n' egg McMuffin and a large coffee with double cream and double Splenda. From time to time, my wife insists that we have oatmeal to start the day. She makes it with milk and serves the oatmeal with a sprinkle of brown sugar. I prefer demerara dark brown. We used to have Belgian Waffles once a week and that rarely happens, now. One of our favorite b'fast foods is EBILSKIVER. I grew up with Ebilskiver, my Mother was Danish. She had a bunch of different fillings for the "pancake balls" that turned them into my childhood favorite.
http://youtu.be/RcYHGGB-J4Q
This may not be your favorite, but it will take you to dozens of other choices. My EBELSKIVER pan is over 100 years old and came from my Mother and she got it from her Mother. Grandmother and her Ebilskiver pan and bicycle immigrated to USA, via Ellis Island, in the late 1800's. She married a blacksmith in the Danish community and together they left Hardy Nebraska and moved to Canada on a free land homestead deal from the government. That would have been about 1920.
LODGE, an American company make an Ebilskiver cast iron pan that is one of the best. MADE IN USA LODGE is just about as good as it gets for castiron pots and pans.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: BREAKFAST

Those Look good! I might have to find a pan and try them. If I eat a breakfast, it is generally Biscuits and Gravy, the Gravy is a thick white sausage gravy, The gravy must have meat in it, otherwise it is just a "country" gravy that has no flavor. After that would come an ham and cheese Omelet. Neither of these happen all that often.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:20 pm

Its always the same for me. A bowl of hot cooked whole grain cereal and a grilled cheese sandwich from home made bread. I never ever get tired of it. Might need to try some of that Demerara sugar though. Just for some variety.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:21 pm

I usually have coffee with 2% milk in it in the morning, but my favorite big breakfast is the two eggs over easy, bacon fried crisp, rye toast, fried potatoes and grapefruit juice. Second one only happens for me now at places where breakfast is served "all day". Biscuits and gravy is great if the gravy is good, Mom had a "penny" gravy with cross-cut hot dogs occasionally - suprisingly tasty! :mrgreen:
1954 R-122 long bed - restored as stock as "reasonable"
Honda Z50 K1 - restoration "almost completed"
Honda CT70 K4 - original
(2) Honda US90 K0 (ATC K0) - one restored, one original

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Back in the 1960's, in Alberta, just east of ACME, about half way to Drumheller, there was a farmer who raised livestock and had his own abattoir. One of his specialties was a breakfast sausage that was laced with lots of fresh ground black pepper. We were installing an air treatment system in one of the buildings. Lunch time came and we were about to leave for town and lunch in the Club Café when his wife invited us to stay for brunch. The brunch was the usual great farmer's breakfast, but those sausages were the star of the mealtime. That was 48 years ago and I have never forgotten. Over the years until I left for the Coast in 1971, I would wonder by and pick up a few kilograms of Breakfast kick-start-breakfast-sausage. There is a German Sausage shop an hour from here. This guy is a German trained sausage maker and the stuff he makes is just about the best I have ever had. One bite of his BRATWURST and I can hear a BACH Choir of nearly naked Fraulein singing Halleluiah, HALLELUIAH !!!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:12 am

I remember having great Bratwurst in Germany, have not really found any here in my area that compares.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:52 pm

Ralph Goff wrote:Its always the same for me. A bowl of hot cooked whole grain cereal and a grilled cheese sandwich from home made bread. I never ever get tired of it. Might need to try some of that Demerara sugar though. Just for some variety.

We put steel cut oats, a few chopped apples and raisins in the slow cooker to stew overnight. Douse it with maple syrup. I have never been a fan of processed oats. I like them but they don't like me. Now and then the wife makes biscuits and gravy,,,they are really good but sit like a lead ball in your belly. We also get locally smoked pork loins, excellent breakfast meat.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:03 am

I only get biscuits and gravy if I make it- wife claims she doesn't know how despite me showing here. I think it's just a ploy to get me to cook for her... A family friend processes their own pigs so we get some pretty tasty breakfast sausage. It could stand a little more seasoning for my taste, but it's plenty good.
Standard weekend breakfast when I'm home - 2 eggs over medium, some bacon, 2 pieces of whole grain toast, and 2 cups of coffee.
Breakfast when I'm at work is a bowl of cereal (enjoying Kix right now) and 2 cups of coffee
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 am

Today, I'm going to try SHREDDIES with eggnog instead of the usual 2% milk. I'll slice a banana on the top. My favorite part of this time of year is the EGGNOG. 'nog works really well as the liquid when making pancakes.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:00 pm

My daughter found this corn-bread at a second hand store. The asking price was $25. She got it for considerably less. The pan got a good blasting with aluminium oxide this afternoon. We are going to season the pan this evening. there WILL BE CORNBREAD IN THE MORNING.
Attachments
CORNBREAD PAN.jpg
BLASTED AND READY FOR SEASONING
CORNBREAD PAN 2.jpg
MADE IN USA
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion