politic on the board

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:47 am

politic on the board

The recent locking of the Trump thread has brought up a question that as a whole community I think we need to answer.
I felt that at almost no time did the discussion turn to attacks on any poster. I felt that different opinions were welcome and those expressing them were not flamed nor degenerated in any way. The same can't be said about some truck related threads like "rat rod vs. original, stock vs. upgraded, or 6 vs. 12 volt, where strong opinion were sometimes accompanied by more personal opinions about the poster.
In every case, I think if the posters of different opinion can accept other opinion with respect there is no harm done, and in fact good is done.
Politics can be a hot button topic, but so can others. How they are handled should determine whether they a welcome on the board or not.
If those that have monitor and run the board want to make any political topic "off limits" I can respect that, but think it will be hard to keep a total ban on politics off any board.
What does the general rank and file think? If it can be kept civil, and in the appropriate area, is it ok?
Some threads require a more thick skin than others. I, for myself, have the choice to read or pass over those threads.
We are in a time, not just in the USA, but around the world where politics are playing a big roll in everything. To hear ideas and concerns from around the globe is one of the things that make the internet great. That does mean you are going to hear things that don't jib with your way of thinking, but that is true in life as well as on the 'net.
I close where I open, what is the general view on this?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Re: politic on the board

^^^agreed^^^^ though some posts were critical to 45, everyone was civil to each other,

like CB said topics such as rat rod, 6/12 volt have gotten a lot hotter, oh well,

my thought is I do hope to go to the same re-education camp as you CB, you are very insightful, and who knows if they put that camp in BC. nikki can throw us stale bread over the fence!
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Or at least in Sumas, WA. that way he could come and taunt us as well as throwing crusts of bread! I Know there is a big unused parking lot there labeled "port of Washington" or something, A little chain link and it will be ready for us!
Edit:
BTW thank you BRJ for your support. I hope this thread starts a honest conversation not a fight.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:21 pm

I live in tree hugger country and we have lots of Artisan Bakeries in this area. Sadly the US Border Service will not allow me to import any bead, fresh or a few daze old. Maybe I can find something suitable at Pike Place Market in the way of loaves of bead and a fish or two and I can keep you guys from starving. If this does not work I can take a few persons to lunch at The White Spot, if you can make it to Canada. I took Lloyd there for his b'fast and he survived.
There were 133 comments made and nearly 3000 persons viewed the locked topic. This shows that about 4.5% of the total viewers were interested enough to leave a comment. One or more of the other must have complained.
There is, for me, more to life that an old IH truck or two sitting in the shop. Blocking a lively discussion will not make it go away. I am slowly migrating to another forum that is not vehicle specific and conversation flows freely. This forum would starve to death if it were not for interesting and informed contributors like BRJ, CB89, Scottso, Buzzman72, Monsonmotors and a few others who contribute regularly.
I vote for 12 volts and Cummins Diesel power. Should I consider separating my left and right hand wrenches from each other so as to avoid any conflict in "my drawers".
"Alternative Facts" How is that I managed to get 16,817 views on a build subject that has nothing to do with IHC. So, you see, we can all get along.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:38 pm

It is noted and I to am looking forward to more comments on this subject. I am off for some more vehicle runs and perhaps midweek, I should be back, I will make a determination to reopen the locked thread or not at that time. I do understand your positions. I also take responsibility for not keeping up with my reading to perhaps "temper" some during discussions. I do not know who might have said something, nor do I care, I was asked to remedy an issue and this was how I chose to do so. Please continue to comment on CB's Posited question.
I do enjoy a good discussion and agree that the world is changing around us and differences are a fact of life. We wish NO ONE to feel like they are not wanted or appreciated on this OldIhc site.
Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:23 am

I typically don't get involved in political or religious conversations , not because I don't care but because I don't make the time to become educated on the facts to have an informed opinion. When Nikki opened this thread his first mission statement was that he didn't want it to become heated and perhaps we might find some humor in all this. I feel it has done all of that. I enjoy hearing all of you express your opinions, it can be a break from the "nuts and bolts" conversations. Like CB said, I can always change the channel if I find the need. Undoubtedly we are in an historic time, better to talk about it than go "quietly in the night". That said, I also applaud the first class job Lloyd has done to keep things going over the years and will respect his decision whatever the outcome. Thanks, George.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:26 am

I missed the locked thread but can guess it is like so many I see on other forums where they "discuss" and things get political. I'm about the least political person you might run into and try to keep an open mind on most things. There are a lot of comments and threads I could really disagree with and get into flaming contests but really, what is the point?
I thought Michael Enright's essay this morning said it well.
If we see only what we want to see, or read only those views we agree with, we become smaller as citizens and as human beings.
- Michael Enright
The rest of the essay.....
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayeditio ... -1.3949844

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:36 am

Politics have no place on a truck forum. Everybody has their own opinion and usually none of them agree which will then end up in arguments and a lot of members leaving that site. I have seen this happen first hand on an antique tractor site which I was a Club Treasurer. Do what you want but watch to see who leaves if you let political posts on this forum. I come here to talk trucks to relax and get away from the everyday news of politics.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:22 pm

"see who leaves" right now there are 2282 members per the the members link,

there are probably under 20 that post more than once a month,

I was a member of oldgmc.com when I had my 1937 GMC, that site is all but dead because of lack of interest and restrictions, there are probably 7 guys that post once in a while, and mostly to complain they can't but a complete running truck for $75 dollars anymore,

I've tried to rally up people to comment more, what makes people leave is they click on this site after a week or two, and their profile link says No new posts,

you have to dig to get to the thread in question, so it's not like politics are glaring at you on the index page,

but, hey, that is what this post is about, people's opinion, I value your input, I don't necessarily Agree, but it doesn't change that I'm glad you took the time to post, I'm sure you don't agree with me, but that doesn't make us adversaries,
(I hope)
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:54 pm

Just my 2 cents as a nubbie to the forum, I glanced at the thread ... read a couple post, but chose that none of it interested me and moved on.
My personal belief, politics and religion are personal choices. I have no desire to talk about them in a public forum,

As a moderator on a irc, channel. (internet relay chat) We are a very friendly group and like to keep it family safe. We have members from all over the world. Any time politics comes up, usually is a quick joke and dismissed.
That is fine and funny, but when a discussion is born, it usually never ends well. I must pay close attention to a subject I dont care to discuss, Be ready to whip out the ban hammer and then threaten to use it if needed. I just dont think the moderators here need the extra work on their plate. If someone wants to talk politics or religion, there are proper places for it.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion