politic on the board

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Re: politic on the board

America is still a great place and to some degree may have lost it's way. Globalization has changed much of everything and that is the new reality and something that may not be reversible.
I am including a link to the companies producing steel in 2017. https://www.worldsteel.org/steel-by-top ... ucers.html
https://www.worldsteel.org/media-centre ... -2017.html Please note. Chins produces 808.4 million tons of new steel ever year as compared to the USA producing 76.5 million tons. Canada produces a 14.5 million tons.
How did this happen, you might ask? Well, greedy investors and politicians in combination sold our companies and shipped the production and the jobs out of North America.
One of the impacts of sending our jobs and recourses off shore is the money returning to North America in the hands of persons made wealthy by doing our work. Here in The Vancouver area we have seen our housing prices go from affordable to forget it. My wife and I bought our home in a good neighbourhood in 1978. We paid about $70,000 and a few months later the identical house next door sold for a few thousand dollars more. On today's inflated real-estate market, pushed by speculators, this pair of houses would sell for $5,000,000 and that is land value, only.
So, what to do and where to go if we were to sell? the mass exodus of persons selling and moving did not start yesterday or last year. The persons leaving this area with their no tax on capital gains from their home sales have taken their new-found wealth and paid inflated prices for places to live east of here and onto Vancouver Island. The property values have increased thousands of kilometers to east of here.
The number of exotic cars on the roads here, on The Lower Mainland can be alarming to visitors. On one morning when I was eating my Sausage and egg McMuffin, I counted 11 Porsches, 6 Lexus and more than 40 Mercedes in the parking are where I was. There are always a red Ferrari or two. The guy who owns a local Mediterranean restaurant shops at Canadian Tire for restaurant supplies, he drives a Ferrari.
Only a few days ago I was in my Ram 2500 Diesel and in the drive-through at McD's Over the Diesel I could hear the distinctive whine of a Lamborghini, but I could not see the car. AS it turned out, the car was directly behind my truck and below my line of sight. The driver of the Lamborghini and I exchanged thumbs up because we were parked next to each other in the parking lot. I had to ask, Have you ever sat in a big Dodge 4X4? He responded, "Have you ever sat in a Lamborghini?" We changed places and for a minute I was in automotive heaven. The painful part was extracting my big butt from the Lambo before the tow truck arrived. It was the fear of where the tow hook was going to be placed that motivated me to get out. One of my new neighbors drives a Bentley which he leaves on the street. He has Porsches and a Lambo in his garage. And so it goes.
We know how the money got here and that is the painful part. I am not angry with the wealthy speculators doing what they do. I am angry with our politicians who have lost control and allowed Canadian jobs to be lost. WE the consumers may not be able to afford to return to the good old days. We may never be great again, like the good old days.
An example of what happened can be illustrated by something that is happening to me right now. I want to buy a four post lift for my garage. I find it is nearly impossible to buy a lift made in North America unless I am prepared to spend 50% to 100% more for that privilege. So what am I going to do while trying to remain close to my Buy USA principles. I am going to buy Bendpac. American owned in California, made in China by a Bendpac owned company so they are able to control the quality. The hydraulic power unit is made in USA in Illinois. I really tried and this is as good as it gets in 2017.
Attachments
LAMBORGHINI at McD's.jpg
"Lime"-borgini
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:19 pm

What most don't remember or don't want to, the reason the allies won WWII was we had the mfg capability to out pace the axis, We could afford to lose a plane, ship or gun because we were spitting out more all the time, as long as the men were ok, the loss was minor. The Axis didn't have the luxury, We have "outsourced " all are heavy mfg and could not win that war today.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I have watched the Jeff Sessions questioning. OMG. My Dad used to this about my sister when she was avoiding an answer. "She babbles like hell and nothing comes out."
I am old enough to remember the good old days when USA and Canada to a lesser degree were the greatest producers of value added manufacturing in the world. The greatest manufacturing centres of our two countries are often vacant ruins of better times long gone. Mister Pete your You Tube shop teacher often laments the loss of American Quality. More than a few of his You Tube videos document his attending the closing of great American Companies and their auctions as the manufacturing is take apart and sold. https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222/featured Go ahead and subscribe. It is good for you.
Mister Pete lives in Illinois, possibly the state hit the hardest by Good Old American ingenuity and manufacturing leaving the state and the country.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:45 pm

What does it take to hold police accountable for killing Blacks? It seams to me, that if you are black, you don't stand a chance of seeing justice.
I know that being a Police officer is a tough job and they are called to make tough choices all the time. They get called to handle the tough problems all the time, We expect them to make the correct choice. I know that, BUT THAT IS THE JOB! if you don't like it, don't do the job! Police officer is NOT a conscripted position, it is one the officer chooses, and can change their mind at anytime and walk at any time if they find it too demanding or if they feel they can not be safe.
In my mind, you don't get a pass for taking a life, sometimes it is required, but it MUST be the last choice when all other options have been tried and failed.
There is no justice if the only thing an officer has to say, is that he feared for his life! I Imagine the blackman in MN feared for his also! He is dead, so he had good reason to fear, and he did everything he could to defuse the situation, he announced he was carrying ,good idea, if he was searched or it became visible, and had not announced it may lead to death, and still ended up dead.
Police are giving extraordinary broad powers including the ability to take a life, without automatically being charged, but with those powers come extraordinary need for responsibility and judgement, all three go together, and you can't claim one without shouldering all three.
Not all police/black killings are un justified, I am not naïve, but in todays climate there doesn't seam to be any justice for many of these people who are dying.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:24 pm

I agree, it's something I don't understand. White people have no idea.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:38 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4175859
This house has a Lamborghini parked in front and a Ferrari in the attached garage. Howdy, I am your new neighbour.
So the battle lines have formed between city council, the neighbours and the owner of the house. I might be able to look after the Lamborghini for the owner. Maybe???

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:23 pm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 am

cornbinder89 wrote:What does it take to hold police accountable for killing Blacks? It seams to me, that if you are black, you don't stand a chance of seeing justice.
I know that being a Police officer is a tough job and they are called to make tough choices all the time. They get called to handle the tough problems all the time, We expect them to make the correct choice. I know that, BUT THAT IS THE JOB! if you don't like it, don't do the job! Police officer is NOT a conscripted position, it is one the officer chooses, and can change their mind at anytime and walk at any time if they find it too demanding or if they feel they can not be safe.
In my mind, you don't get a pass for taking a life, sometimes it is required, but it MUST be the last choice when all other options have been tried and failed.
There is no justice if the only thing an officer has to say, is that he feared for his life! I Imagine the blackman in MN feared for his also! He is dead, so he had good reason to fear, and he did everything he could to defuse the situation, he announced he was carrying ,good idea, if he was searched or it became visible, and had not announced it may lead to death, and still ended up dead.
Police are giving extraordinary broad powers including the ability to take a life, without automatically being charged, but with those powers come extraordinary need for responsibility and judgement, all three go together, and you can't claim one without shouldering all three.
Not all police/black killings are un justified, I am not naïve, but in todays climate there doesn't seam to be any justice for many of these people who are dying.

Well, Minneapolis went out of their way to prove they are not racist.... They killed a white women, with their body cameras off of course. By all early accounts, she was a fine upstanding person who had called in a disturbance in her ally. She was an ex-veterinarian from Australia. We will have to see how this plays out vs. Phillando Castille. Either way it ain't going to be good.
Until the police are held accountable for these killings, their can be no justice and they will not get my respect. Too many are on the force for the wrong reasons. Many seam to join so "the rules don't apply to them" rather than a true desire to "serve and protect". The ones that join for the right reasons have my highest respect, but the whole force gets tainted by those who are there for the wrong reasons and those that protect them ( the " blue wall" syndrome).
I don't buy that they are asked to do a super-human job, they choose a job that requires a lot of good judgement, and are free to leave it at any time if they don't like what they are asked to do.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion