politic on the board

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:41 pm

Re: politic on the board

We, in Canada, are suffering the campaigning for votes. It is our election time. My mind is made up. When the party faithful call to ask for my vote, I always tell them all I am voting for their person. This gets them off their call-back list, for now.
I do not like the aggressive and personal attacks on other candidates. One of the leaders has taken to aggressive lying about his main opposition. When questioned about this, he accepted blame.
I hope The USA picks a good leader. We get a lot of Canadian coverage of the US election. The Canadian coverage is often different in content than the American news.
I would rather watch hockey and not be bothered by pollsters.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:35 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:We, in Canada, are suffering the campaigning for votes. It is our election time. My mind is made up. When the party faithful call to ask for my vote, I always tell them all I am voting for their person. This gets them off their call-back list, for now.
I do not like the aggressive and personal attacks on other candidates. One of the leaders has taken to aggressive lying about his main opposition. When questioned about this, he accepted blame.
I hope The USA picks a good leader. We get a lot of Canadian coverage of the US election. The Canadian coverage is often different in content than the American news.
I would rather watch hockey and not be bothered by pollsters.

Some times when I'm in a good mood I'll answer one of those political calls and even take one of their surveys, most of the time I just let caller ID do it's job . 10 years ago when I still believed in the system I worked the phone tree for my candidate cold calling people on election night and weeks prior to that I canvased door to door. Most people were polite, many interested in what I had to say and some were door slammers.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:56 pm

I broke my pollster rule about 30 minutes ago. I did answer a few poll questions when I felt comfortable with the questions. I refused to answer poll questions that were designed to support one party, what ever the answer.
It became painfully obvious this "poll" was a Conservative scouting party. I do not like our Conservative party leader, in any way. I will vote for any of the other three candidates before Andrew Scheer. Fact checking his brash and often untruthful statements shows he is not telling the truth. I do not like his attack ads and campaign.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:21 am

IozRjzH.jpg
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:19 pm

Here in Canada we just finished a federal election. It is expected that a few persons will be less than pleased with the outcome. The majority have voted and this is the government we will have for a few years.
A bunch of malcontents in Middle Western Canada want to leave Canada and form another country. This movement is making enough noise to make the evening news. Leaving Canada may not be easy because of the way the middle provinces joined. I suppose amendments could change this. I find it interesting that British Columbia is the only province that has the right to leave the confederation. BC joined Canada in 1871 with the agreement that leaving would not be contested if the union does not work out for British Columbia.
I was thinking of changes a separation might bring. If the middle provinces became a different country, they would have to trade with Canada as a different country. The land-locked provinces may lose their access to the western ports and shipping. Billions of bushels of Prairie grain are shipped out of Canada off the West Coast. Close to a hundred million tons of Alberta Coal leave the Robert's Bank, BC, coal port every day. USA west coast does not have a coal port, so USA ship their coal through BC.
I say lots of luck to their adventure. Prepare for the plan to fail. The logistics may be too many and too expensive. I am curious if the supporters of the Wexit (Western exit) have and understand the complicated details.
The grain gowning provinces of Canada like to think they are Western Canada. Only British Columbia is in the true west. There is this little thing called the Rocky Mountains that hide British Columbia.
https://www.citynews1130.com/audio/minu ... bill-good/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:15 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Here in Canada we just finished a federal election. It is expected that a few persons will be less than pleased with the outcome. The majority have voted and this is the government we will have for a few years.
A bunch of malcontents in Middle Western Canada want to leave Canada and form another country. This movement is making enough noise to make the evening news. Leaving Canada may not be easy because of the way the middle provinces joined. I suppose amendments could change this. I find it interesting that British Columbia is the only province that has the right to leave the confederation. BC joined Canada in 1871 with the agreement that leaving would not be contested if the union does not work out for British Columbia.
I was thinking of changes a separation might bring. If the middle provinces became a different country, they would have to trade with Canada as a different country. The land-locked provinces may lose their access to the western ports and shipping. Billions of bushels of Prairie grain are shipped out of Canada off the West Coast. Close to a hundred million tons of Alberta Coal leave the Robert's Bank, BC, coal port every day. USA west coast does not have a coal port, so USA ship their coal through BC.
I say lots of luck to their adventure. Prepare for the plan to fail. The logistics may be too many and too expensive. I am curious if the supporters of the Wexit (Western exit) have and understand the complicated details.
The grain gowning provinces of Canada like to think they are Western Canada. Only British Columbia is in the true west. There is this little thing called the Rocky Mountains that hide British Columbia.
https://www.citynews1130.com/audio/minu ... bill-good/

That's an interesting insight for me into the state of Canadian politics. If I understand that right then there are geo / political similarities between Canada and the States. Your central region tends to be conservative and your coastal areas progressive?

Regionally in my corner of the world Texas will bluster and loudly state they want to secede from the union. The surrounding states including my New Mexico hold our collective breath and hope but when the noise dies down Texas hasn't gone anywhere.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:25 am

While I am no history scholar, I can't help but see parallel's to the early part of the last century. It took two world wars to bring the world to its senses then, I hope we can be smarter this time. We have isolationist, Nationalist silo thinking just as we did back then, it is folly to think that this time the results we be different.
We have a voting public that is too absorbed to look behind the "news flashes" put out by "their side" or the "other side" to spend the time to research whether the claims are true.
We have a debate on whether "social media" should "police" the ads, when if the voters them selves would do a little research and call out lies for what they are, rather than believing what they read because it states what they want to hear, we would shame politicians to tell the truth and chastise those that don't in the ballot box.
You can't legislate a fix for a gullible voting public! I'm sure if I look for a little while I can find someone on the internet that will state the Clinton or Trump is a product of green moon men! Just because someone says it doesn't make it fact.
On major issues, I try and read three sources that are main stream but voice different views on the issue, I find an amalgamation of the three will get close to what the facts turn out to be.
For all the railing of the "biased news media" truth is the only thing they sell, if they give that up, they have no product. The Walls Street Journal, Washington Post and the NYT will have a different slant, but in general will all try and get the basic fact correct, without that they have nothing to sell. I'll include Fox News as well but not Fox Opinion (the so called new shows that are personality based).
I hold little hope for our nation or the world if we continue down the road that we did at the beginning of the 1900's and we will be forced to re live the mistakes we made then, but with more and deadlier outcomes, as our weapons and methods have "progressed" if you can call it that.
Don't read one thing and get angry at the _____ (choose you group to insert here) but read all you can about the subject.
We are in the midst of a crisis, what we need is truth, what we are getting is propaganda. The Nazi's learned that you don't have to correct, only make the people think you are! It should be a cautionary tale to all!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 pm

Yes the "wexit" talk is the result of a liberal re-election. They have very little support here in the farming community. And the election is pretty much over once they count the votes in Ontario and Quebec as it does not make much difference how we vote out here. Trudeau knows he has zero support from us in the rural areas so he won't waste much time listening to our complaints. There are a few who think we would be better off leaving Canada and becoming part of the United States.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:52 am

Ralph Goff wrote: There are a few who think we would be better off leaving Canada and becoming part of the United States.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire?
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am

Binder Mike wrote:
Ralph Goff wrote: There are a few who think we would be better off leaving Canada and becoming part of the United States.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire?

I guess we tend to focus on the positive aspects of joining the U.S. The ag industry seems to have a lot more support in the U.S. than we do in Canada. Cheaper fuel and better prices for grain are attractive as well. I'd hate to give up our health care system though.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion