politic on the board

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:28 pm

Re: politic on the board

This sort of reminds me of a high school final exam where you didn't have clue for the essay question but just winged it anyways.

81113894_10158078583970663_4540429306941145088_n.jpg
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:21 pm

QUOTE: The killing of a top Iranian general 'to stop a war,' not start one. This was done without Congress approval. Now there is a problem. Some of the financial experts suggest this could trigger a world wide recession.
Kim Jong Un is giving up on hopes that U.S. will lift sanctions anytime soon.
Is everybody happy? I am really afraid.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:23 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:QUOTE: The killing of a top Iranian general 'to stop a war,' not start one. This was done without Congress approval. Now there is a problem. Some of the financial experts suggest this could trigger a world wide recession.
Kim Jong Un is giving up on hopes that U.S. will lift sanctions anytime soon.
Is everybody happy? I am really afraid.

This very subject is getting pages and pages on serious political discussion sites I frequent. At this point I will say that Trump has gutted his administration of the state dept. and most qualified advisers and is flying blind with this grand stand move. I am no fan of the general that he took out but I don't think it was considered as to his importance to the people in his country and the fact that he is now martyred . How would anybody expect them not to want war. No war time president has ever lost a bid for re- election With the president impeached and facing declining numbers in popularity can all this be coincidental?

Nikki, I'm feeling quite queasy about this myself.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 am

enemy combatants are "fair game" anywhere on the field of battle. Assassination's are a whole different order of things. There you are not taking on a enemy in combat but choosing a single person and carrying out a "sentence" without proof or trial. There are times I think it can be justified, but the justification must be clear and beyond reproach and other options must be weighed and dismissed for real reasons. Bin Laden and El Baghdadi can fall into this category. The risk of bringing them out alive to face Justus is high and the evidence is overwhelming.
My reluctance is not that they are not legitimate targets, but rather once you start extrajudicial killings you open the door to others to do the same. With drones we can, with small risk to our people, but we do not have a monopoly on drones and there is little to stop Iran from doing the same. As drone tech becomes better and smaller they become harder to spot on radar, making them easier to deploy and harder to stop. The only deterrent to war crimes is the moral high ground, if we resort to "the ends justify the means" we have lost all claim to that.
I don't know where this falls in the continuum between justifiable due to lack of alternatives and not worth it due to the long term fall out from such a move. Time will tell. It was Trump who pulled out of the agreement, not Iran. We had a multi-national agreement, while not perfect, was miles better than what we have now. Trump claimed he was going to bring us a much better deal, but so far we aren't even talking. The escalation of hostilities between the US and Iran are a completely predictable outcome from the Presidents actions 3 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:19 pm

CB89. Very well written and covering most of the points.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:16 am

I live across the pond in England and i too find this very concerning. This will have an impact on a lot of countries. Im not sure how or when this will end but i think it will continue for quite some time. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:11 pm

Excellent summation CB, and I think you are right on with your opinion.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:48 pm

The last time we did something like this was during WW2 with Japan. The big difference between this time and before was we were in declared war with Japan and we aren't with Iran. The other two I mentioned were not State actors ( at least not associated with a recognized nation state). We have done what most would consider an act of war, but without the declaration of the same.
It is a "can of worms" that many have thought not worth opening. It is the new proxy war, when is someone a valid target and when are they not? If the state of Iran killed with a drone one of our generals, how would we perceive it? Act of war? declaring war on the US?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:06 pm

56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:11 pm

As centrist as I am with my politics and in favor of sensible of immigration laws this meme just had me laughing out loud.

99d253d2b3867b4bbabcfd677f6b0897-292x300.jpg
56 S120 4x4,
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion