politic on the board

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:09 pm

Re: politic on the board

I could never figure out why it's acceptable to deal with some communist countries and not others. Cuba a big no no, China, best buddies, lots of trade, borrow money, sell property.

Dictators our present administration is friendly with abound, Russia, North Korea, the Saudie's , go figure. . .

xxl

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:02 pm

waltesefalcon wrote:I cannot back a man who admires oppressive regimes and dictators. Not only did Sanders say he admired Castro who imprisoned and often executed those who opposed him he admired the Sandinistas and has said that Daniel Ortega is an impressive leader, even going so far as to host Ortega in Burlington back in 1985 when he was the mayor there.

I'd recommend you read a little more about the Sandinistas and the overthrow of the US backed Somosa government in Nicaragua. In 1985 Ortega was 6 years into a government of revolutionaries and had yet to fail on the promises made to the people who supported him. It seems now he and his wife have become the thing they were fighting against.

To me, none of this makes Bernie's candidacy any more palatable when thinking about thoughtful, incremental change on a National level.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:04 pm

I thought that EW would have been a better "far left" candidate than Bernie, both are fairly close on issues, but Warren has less "baggage" than Bernie

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:28 am

b4autodark wrote:I could never figure out why it's acceptable to deal with some communist countries and not others. Cuba a big no no, China, best buddies, lots of trade, borrow money, sell property.

Dictators our present administration is friendly with abound, Russia, North Korea, the Saudie's , go figure. . .

I never understood the idea of ignoring your enemies. The ONLY thing I think Trump did that was a step forward was talking with North Korea. I never thought it would go far, but 70 years of non-engagement has got us exactly nowhere. He counteracted that by pulling out of the Iran and Paris agreements! One step forward, two steps back.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:29 pm

xxl wrote:
waltesefalcon wrote:I cannot back a man who admires oppressive regimes and dictators. Not only did Sanders say he admired Castro who imprisoned and often executed those who opposed him he admired the Sandinistas and has said that Daniel Ortega is an impressive leader, even going so far as to host Ortega in Burlington back in 1985 when he was the mayor there.

I'd recommend you read a little more about the Sandinistas and the overthrow of the US backed Somosa government in Nicaragua. In 1985 Ortega was 6 years into a government of revolutionaries and had yet to fail on the promises made to the people who supported him. It seems now he and his wife have become the thing they were fighting against.

To me, none of this makes Bernie's candidacy any more palatable when thinking about thoughtful, incremental change on a National level.

Somoza* Replacing one terribly dictatorial government that used violent oppression with another is not a terribly good idea but it is one we see oft repeated in history. I think that it is no surprise that Ortega, from nearly the very start, is what he had fought against.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:31 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:The ONLY thing I think Trump did that was a step forward was talking with North Korea. I never thought it would go far, but 70 years of non-engagement has got us exactly nowhere.

I agree that opening communication with N. Korea is one of the better things Trump has done.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:54 pm

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:52 pm

Enjoying life

Besides your politics and old trucks what other interests do you have?

As for me its entomology as it relates to the study of aquatic insects,
fly-tying , fishing , wood-workng and cabin building, to name a few,
I'm never board..

Keeping busy and happy.. - sm
Last edited by Harvey on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:14 pm

Enjoying life

Also have passion for land conversation have spent many years clearing
forest property for fire prevention.. Switched over from a gas chain saw
to battery operated a couple years ago. Nothing like it..
Much more efficient and safe.
DEWALT FLEXVOLT® 60V MAX* Brushless Chainsaw

Camp fire after a good day working in the woods.

Be safe - sm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:48 pm

Harvey, I fully support that pledge! I love the outdoors and live in the mountains in the woods at 7,700' elevation. I have all manner of animals come through my property including deer, elk, bear and mountain lions. The Coyote's sing us to sleep at night. Myself and my neighbors have had our trees thinned in interest of wild fire abatement. We have good trout fishing around here and I fly fish though the fish have pretty good odds when I'm in the stream. I mostly release them when I manage to catch them but I do like to occasionally cook them in foil in a bed of coals at stream side, nothing better! I have a love for motorcycles as well and love riding wrenching and traveling on them. My latest bike is this black Harley Davidson I bought as a fixer upper but runs well now and I had it out for a couple of hundred miles of riding a couple of days ago. Here it is parked By the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. I live up in the mountains you see in the background:

IMG_1283.JPG
56 S120 4x4,
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion