politic on the board

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: politic on the board

nikkinutshop wrote:I read that link twice. It was not difficult to understand. I think by my reading it twice helped to dull the impact of the details.
I have a few farmer friends who have not bought new machinery because of the added cost. Used machinery auctions are well attended and the bidding is pushing the used market prices up.
The identical details are reported by several news agencies including ones in Canada. The greater shame is the loss of jobs to North Americans. The added insult is the hidden taxes, tariffs, the end consumer pays. The trade war has raised the cost of a BendPac four post hoist for me. I wish I could find a hoist that is made in North America with steel made here. Milwaukee tools have gone up 20% retail.

I wrote a big long tirade that went along with that link and then thought better of posting it here. I'll save that for some of the heavier duty political sites I frequent. I am not pleased about this to say the least and the one statement I will salvage from my deletion is, elect a former game show host as you president and this is what you get!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 06, 2019 6:52 pm

The biggest enemy of democracy is complacency. Here in Canada all to many persons fail to vote and disrespect their right to help select the government. If this or any other situation in our capitols is concerning, it should be an inspiration to understand and then vote, intelligently.
The USA is a great country and whatever situation there may be will not destroy the country. There are too many persons who have much invested in service and financially in the USA to allow the country to fail.
I would like to livelong enough to be able to look back to 2019 and see how history handles this.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Well, well, the Trump imposed taxes, thinly disguised at tariffs on Canadian and Mexican steel and aluminium have been lifted. Tariffs are paid by the end-user.
My Dad used to say, "Waiting for the other shoe to drop." This idiom suggests that there is an expected following event. What will it be?
My thinking is this. A trade war with China cannot be won buy the USA. China has our almost all of the manufacturing that used to be done in USA. China has invested trillions of dollars in North American business and real-estate. China owns large portions of our natural recourses and China has been the go-to for trillions of dollars of funding for the government. Dad used to say, "Be careful about biting the hand that feeds you."
Here in Canada we are suffering a government investigation into money laundering. In the Province of British Columbia the laundered money has been estimated at 10 billion dollars. BC is one of ten provinces. I doubt the "government is as surprised about the money laundering as they appear to show, when the cameras are on them. So, why now? We have a housing crisis in The Lower Mainland. Tens of thousands of apartments and condominiums in new high-rise buildings are all sold and stand empty. The news reports that sometimes 60 - 100 new suites will be purchased by one person. Many, if not all of these purchases are done well before the construction starts. The pressure is on the government to do something about the money laundering that has pushed our real-estate well beyond affordable.
The local government has proposed building affordable housing and capping the selling prices. This instantly fueled a cry of discrimination and government interference. The millennials crying foul from their street parked campers and mobile homes may have missed the intent of the proposal.
My wife and I bought our home 41 years ago. WE paid $70.000. The market value for this piece of paradise is well over two million in 2019. We have resisted the hundreds of multimillion dollar offers to purchase and get-out-of-town. How can this be a bad thing. Here is the bottom line. My wife and I knw we will not live forever. Our son and daughter will be here and working locally long after we are gone. This home, at what ever the market value may be will be their key to remaining in the Lower Mainland and having their piece of paradise.
I hear the well worn adage, Family first, so many times. This should go beyond thoughts-and-prayers. If family first is going to work as it should, it will need action in the form of resistance. Thought and prayers are like popcorn for breakfast. It is filling but does not support action.
So, we need to call on our elected persons to "cut-the-crap" and think of the electorate first.
Here in British Columbia and in the rest of Canada there has been a awakening. I hope this leads to a better government for the people.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 18, 2019 11:44 pm

Saskatchewan farm land is being bought by the Chinese and other outside investors as well. Makes it hard for local guys to compete when big money from off shore sees land as a good investment.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 pm

https://youtu.be/y49Omj1onuI

I think this is the most beautiful anthem.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 24, 2019 11:37 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Well, well, the Trump imposed taxes, thinly disguised at tariffs on Canadian and Mexican steel and aluminium have been lifted. Tariffs are paid by the end-user.
My Dad used to say, "Waiting for the other shoe to drop." This idiom suggests that there is an expected following event. What will it be?
My thinking is this. A trade war with China cannot be won buy the USA. China has our almost all of the manufacturing that used to be done in USA. China has invested trillions of dollars in North American business and real-estate. China owns large portions of our natural recourses and China has been the go-to for trillions of dollars of funding for the government. Dad used to say, "Be careful about biting the hand that feeds you."
Here in Canada we are suffering a government investigation into money laundering. In the Province of British Columbia the laundered money has been estimated at 10 billion dollars. BC is one of ten provinces. I doubt the "government is as surprised about the money laundering as they appear to show, when the cameras are on them. So, why now? We have a housing crisis in The Lower Mainland. Tens of thousands of apartments and condominiums in new high-rise buildings are all sold and stand empty. The news reports that sometimes 60 - 100 new suites will be purchased by one person. Many, if not all of these purchases are done well before the construction starts. The pressure is on the government to do something about the money laundering that has pushed our real-estate well beyond affordable.
The local government has proposed building affordable housing and capping the selling prices. This instantly fueled a cry of discrimination and government interference. The millennials crying foul from their street parked campers and mobile homes may have missed the intent of the proposal.
My wife and I bought our home 41 years ago. WE paid $70.000. The market value for this piece of paradise is well over two million in 2019. We have resisted the hundreds of multimillion dollar offers to purchase and get-out-of-town. How can this be a bad thing. Here is the bottom line. My wife and I knw we will not live forever. Our son and daughter will be here and working locally long after we are gone. This home, at what ever the market value may be will be their key to remaining in the Lower Mainland and having their piece of paradise.
I hear the well worn adage, Family first, so many times. This should go beyond thoughts-and-prayers. If family first is going to work as it should, it will need action in the form of resistance. Thought and prayers are like popcorn for breakfast. It is filling but does not support action.
So, we need to call on our elected persons to "cut-the-crap" and think of the electorate first.
Here in British Columbia and in the rest of Canada there has been a awakening. I hope this leads to a better government for the people.

Well said!
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:51 pm

I like to read and try to understand the politics. Here in Canada our elected leader is dealing with a difficult situation, mostly of his own creation. He was elected on many promises, one of these was to make Canada more green. Our elected government is trying to settle long ignored situation with the First Nations people. The First Nation people resist anything that might compromise their "lands and waters."
So our newly elected GQ Feminist Prime minster spends four point five billion tax-payers dollars to buy a future pipe-line from Kinder Morgan. The pipeline will have to pass through First Nations Land in more than a few places. This has met with resistance because of the risk of a spill wiping out water and land. So the Prime Minster has offered the First Nations an opportunity to buy into the pipeline in unrestricted amounts. Suddenly the protest was quietened but not totally lost. The question remains. If we are so f'n green why are we shipping Fort McMurray oil to the West Coast for shipping to the Orient? My guess is the Orient needs our energy to make everything we used to build here in Canada.
We have one shared atmosphere here on Planet Earth. If the air is polluted in some far-away place the pollution enters our shared air and we all have a situation less desirable. My friend in Barbados suggested that having a pee off the Bridge in Bridgetown, Barbados raises the ocean level in Vancouver Harbour. This is to illustrate a point often missed.
I read a political comment yesterday. The person wrote, "If we elect a clown it is very likely we will have a circus in our government.
By the way, How are you guys doing on the other side of the 49th parallel?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Gritting our teeth and holding on for another 2 years.
Years past, none of our allies would have questioned our assertion that Iran place limpet mines on those ships, now they have good reason to question.
If Trump could negotiated the Iran deal with North Korea, he would have called himself a genius, but because others did with Iran "Its a really bad deal"! Now instead of a more stable Middle East, we have Iran mining shipping.
We have left the world thinking they can't trust any deal made with the USA, 1st the Paris accords, and the Iran deal, why negotiate for a hard won position when we will just back out a few months down the road?
I don't see how anyone can say we're in a better position with Iran then we were 3 years ago!
It will take 20 years of hard work and good will to undo what has been done.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:23 pm

It takes decades and sometimes centuries for a nation to forget. Example. Republican, Andrew Jackson was branded a Jackass by his opponents. This was in 1828. So the symbol stayed. The original intent of the Jackass name was not intended to be flattery.
But the person who is most responsible for making the donkey a symbol of the Democrats and the elephant a symbol of the Republicans was a cartoonist for "Harper's Weekly" magazine, Thomas Nast. This was about 1870.
There is lots of information on this subject and I think it is a good read. My Mother used to say, "Do not toss out your old cloths, they will be back in style."

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:06 am

Im not really a lover of any politician. I live in England....enough said. We most be the laughing stock of the world with how we are handling Brexit. To be honest i do not blame our prime minister Theresa May, but just about every single political who has done everything in there power to disrupt the process.

As far as Canada is to be a green country, this is exactly how Britain is going. A massive push on wiping out single use plastic's, We can no longer have a plastic straw with our Mcdonald's now, has to be a cardboard one. Maybe this is a good thing for years to come. Apparently we are going to be a zero missions country by 2050. Not entirely sure how we are going to manage this. We are seriously lacking in the general infrastructure to keep the country running smoothly as it is, never mind zero emissions. Time will tell. There is certainly a lot more electric cars on the road now, which is all well and good if you can afford one and drive somewhere no more than 150 miles and then recharge it. Luke
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion