Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: politic on the board

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 pm

I always worked a job and every year when the personel department asked what insurance plan I wanted I always said .I wanted the best plan. I paid the price with a deduction out of my check.
What happens is regardless of your coverage after you become disabled for 6 months the terms of coverage change.
You are considered [long term disabled] Your coverage changes. You get a crap policy with a different company.
I never knew this. All that security I thought I had was fiction.
All you guys working for large companys so your family is covered need to read the terms.
I had a wife that never worked because we thought it was better for the kids. Without job experience she had to get a job at wal mart to get coverage for her and the kids. She did get on full time and got medical. She is grandfathered in at wal mart. As Cb89 says wal mart no longer hires full time people so they dont have to Insure employees.
This country allows ins. companies to take away the coverage you worked for when you become a liability.
I had two D.V.T Blood clots two years apart in my mid fiftys. Thi first one almost killed me by going to my lungs. The second one destroyed the remaining deep veins in my left leg. Destroys ability to pump blood out of your leg. so you elevate to gravity drain by elevating.
Im going somewhere with this.
So we made adjustments and went from being an upper middle class family to a lower. Thats ok we still clicked along. Then 2013 stage 4a squamous cell carsonoma. Throat cancer. Now we just exist. I have not been back for a follow up on the cancer since my last radiation treatment. Going on 2 1/2 years. Maybee Ill get lucky. I have taken all that will take away from my family.
Im not complaining. Im pi==ed.
This is how fast your world can crash and its not because of being uninsured and to lazy to work for it.
This country will go third world if they dont get this insurance straitened out
Have a good job with good insurance and you have security. Wrong
We took my mom with dementia in for three years. Mom and dads estate got me a 60x 56 shop. I boght the materials to build it and got the cancer diagnosis three weeks later. If we had put mom in a home there would have been no estate left. I was her caretaker for three years. Thats the hardest thing Ive ever done. My grandkids never would have got to know her in a nursing home.
A little humor to top of the American insurance nightmare. My mom thought I was her husband!!! My wife got told off several times. Scary
Its to late for me but there needs to be about 100,000 people surround congress and not let them prissy pants polititions leave the building without a functional plan. Canada's plan may not work here but they could work from an outline that functions. Im sure its not perfect but nothings is.

My medical history is about as private as Miley Cirres's tongue. :t9409: Privacy doesnt exhist.
My truck projects are going to have to be self supporting. I do still have assets in machinery ,cars. trucks. Sell one to finish the next. Im just slower now. Thats the plan while I limp along.
Misspelled words were intentional. I'm tired
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:51 pm

I said this on another area, the folks in Congress, need term limits, number one, number two, they also need to live and abide by all laws they pass for everyone. They should only get a bit more "health"care while they are in congress(remember term limits) Then back to the "real" world. There is NO way that a person in Congress should be able to become a multimillionaire while in Congress. They should be prosecuted if they accept any form of "compensation". We are more alike than different, even if we might see things differently politically. Mike, I can understand your comments about your Mother, Mine thought I was her older Brother, When she was 8 years old. My older siblings and I lived with that for 10+ years, and I would not trade it for anything. I hope that you keep your health as long as possible, may things improve for you.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:07 am

My mom wiped my rear when I was little . You have to do whats right. Not all families have a person at home to care for someone.The diseases of the mind are a torture for those that suffer with them and difficult for caregivers. They wanted to test for althiemers. I asked the doctor why. Her mind was already gone.
I did notice some change after we started caring for her. My dad was having problems of his own and not doing very well with her. The doctor had her on about 10 meds. I asked him one day how long he thought she would live. He said maybee two years. I then asked him to stop the cholesterol medicatiom and anything for long term benefits. Her colesterol wasnt going to kill her. He stopped six medications and she improved a little. Side effects of medication can be as bad as the problem they are intended to cure.
My health isnt that bad in general. I have a lame leg and if the cancer stays gone I have a few years. I dont dwell on it too much. It dwells on me without any help. You hqve to get up and do what you can. The recliner, the TV and the refrigerator killed my dad. Pain makes it hard for elderly to stay active but too much idle time is bad.
I posted some of this a couple weeks ago then deleted it. I put it back on after Nkki responded.
I got rolling last night and thought it may help someone else prepare for the unexpected.

Like keep good insurance coverage. Ha. :t0116:

How far would all the money paid to health insurance companies go toward paying for a national health care plan.
Insurance companies have rep's that lobby congress. Thats a recipe for corruption. There should be term limits in congress. Its a good ol boy frat party .I had to be productive to keep my job and so should congress.
Throw this republican and democratic b.s. in the trash. Division is not productive. I'm creating the get the job done party.It's turned into a power struggle that prevents anything from getting done.
My knowledge of politics is limited. I dont like suit's and phony people.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:27 am

Mike, you put into words, much better, what I was trying to say. I especially like your comment that if we all put everything that we spend on healthcare to a single payer system, we would have the best health care in the world. We have the most expensive healthcare system money can buy. To many above the poverty level have no idea what their health insurance cost. The higher the pay grade in a company, the more the company takes care of it. These people have no idea what it cost to provide that insurance level, and add to that the individual buyer pays 10x to 50 times as much for identical insurance coverage if available to them at all.
No one is looking for a hand out, just equal treatment!
Put another way: We Americans, are not looking for free healthcare, but for a much better value for the money we already spend on it. There is no "free healthcare" anywhere just different ways nations choose to pay for it. Our way cost the most and results in the poorest bang for the buck spent!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:56 am

The people we pay to manage our healthcare have a conflict of interest. Its called profit.
The hospitals and doctors keep jacking up the prices of treatment because the insurance company only pay a percentage of the billed ammount. I have seen it on the Insurance statements. Its doomed to fail.
The most dificult thing would be management. Who could manage it.
Cb89 I think you said that the problem is its a for profit system. It has to be non profit management.
Insurance companies have enough power in our government to prevent it from happening . Lloyd said a congressman should not be allowed to become a million air while in congress. Follow the money and prosecute corruption.
The money is already there. Its in million air pockets.

Your right that employees dont really know the actual cost of there healthcare. I never knew what the company paid on top of what they took out of my check. I was taught to be responsible. I could always find side jobs and know I could have made a living for myself. I did for two years. Without benefits. I never priced what those benefits would cost. Fear of being uninsured sent me back to the big corperation security. I was a fool. Endless twelve hour shifts on concrete floors landed me with blood clots in my legs.
Security can be expensive.
They know where the problem is. They play golf and exchange putters with them.
My earlier statement about Republican and Democrats was'nt against either party. Its a topic the media thrives on. I'm sick of hearing it
There is going to be heated debate in the house of rep. Thats part of the decision making process. But there is also compromise. Put a time limit on decisions.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Mike, your speaking up about your experience with a broken health system has to be heard by more than a few persons. Keep speaking up, you are doing a big service to your fellow countrymen. Maybe you will start a wave of persons who are angry and motivated to force the politicians to make the changes for good health care. The politicians cannot do the work that it takes to keep America great. If the persons how do the work are not healthy or go broke from trying to stay healthy, the country will fail
All it take is one person and one politician that listens and big change will happen.
Here in Canada our system was not working until a politician called Tommy Douglas picked up the need and made the changes in Canada's health system and ultimately took us into the top 10 in the world.
I often hear that the Canadian system will not work "here". That is so much BS. We are talking about the health of a nation and financial well-being of persons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Douglas

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks Nikki
We need a Tommy Douglas.
There has to be millions out there in this situation.
I could outline the last nine years from being stable to present situation. I actually have a plan to be somewhat dug out in about in about 4 years. Thats without any more problems. At 62 thats wishful thinking.
I will spend some time on state goverment websites to see what I can find. I will try to lay out in print what happens to a stable family with our Insurance system when you become a liability. It seems I won't be telling the goverment anything they dont know. Maybee they dont.

I am going to dig out. I have one project that most of the parts were bought before the cancer. I will sell it to do the next. Even if you only get a couple hours a day things go forward. I have been getting the lift truck in good operating condition to get my shed straightened out.
Without the projects I have to look forward to i would not be here. The mind can work against you with to much time idle.
Im going to do what Nikki suggested and try to show my state officials how our system destroys peoples security.
Im going to take a break from this thread for a short time. The gloom cells are trying to weasel in. I will try to get it to the people that we elect.
I will let you know and post any response I get from our state officials. Thanks for your considerate posts. I would like to read more from others.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:37 pm

HINT:
I was a job steward with the union after I went to a local university and took the courses. If I can offer a little advice that will make any task easier, it is to make notes. Don't be afraid to look at your notes and if you are asked for a copy and you are OK with that, agree, but keep the original.
Take notes and document, document, document. Practice talking slow. The tendency for us amateurs is to talk quickly when we get under stress. Avoid strong language, this is the best and fastest way to lose your audience and credibility. Try and run for office. Once you get voted in, you will get health coverage. You need that coverage now and having that to not worry about will give you more confidence.
-Stand when you talk. If you sit and they stand, the ratio factor gives a subconscious advantage to the taller person.
-If you are talking and someone interrupts, stop talking and hold up your pointer finger and look sternly at the interrupter until you get the other person to stop. That is taking control back.
-Don't respond to personal attacks.
-carry and use a digital recorder.
-I used to avoid the stupid handshake before the meetings. The handshake is a trick on your mind. F--- them, they are not your friends. I would only shake hands after and then only if I won the round.
Here is a quote that I like. It has meaning to me because I survived cancer treatment, this time.
I would never call myself a cancer survivor because I think it devalues those who do not survive. There's this whole mythology that people bravely battle their cancer and then they become survivors. Well, the ones who don't survive may be just as brave, you know, just as courageous, wonderful people.
Barbara Ehrenreich

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Nikki Thanks. Your advise is good. Hand shakes in those meetings are phony.
Surviviving cancer is reaction to treatment. The person that doesnt live fought to live as hard as anyone.
Here's a dose of what cancer treatment is for those that hav'nt seen it. Please dont tell your family or freind to be brave or fight hard or that you can beat it. Ask if theres something you can do. Mow the grass
They poison your body to kill bad cells. It also kills good cells. I lost 25 lbs in two weeks. One day I was able to get 3 cheesits with melted cheese down to my belly. Blood pressure dropped to 75/85. I laid face down in the drivway for two hours 25* f
My first treatment the chemo nurse said your getting the three big guns. Eight hours in a chair getting fluids pumped in at $32.000. Ya explain that price tag. Then they strap a pump on you for a week that gives measured doses. No hair after the first week. I had this treatment cycle three times. It's a rerction to poison that wins and kills the cancer or damages the body beyond life. The chemo during radiation was not so strong. You are sent home after all these treatments with no one to moniter your reaction to the meds. This because insurance companies force it.
My cancer did not cause pain. I was getting dizzy because the tumors were pinching the jugular vein and corided artery. The treatments did cause pain. I held a gun one night but my wife sleeping next to me reminded me of why to stay

I would like to get involved politically. My only chance of getting the word out about what health care , or lack of is doing will be by well written letters, web contact or telephone.
My left leg keeps me on a short leash. Blood flowing down hill with bad veins and damaged valves to return that blood builds pressure. Sitting with legs down is worst than walking. walking helps pump blood. Standing still upright goes bad quickly. I do a dance to keep my legs moving while working to keep the blood moving. Im sure while waiting in line at the store people think I have to pee. Then theres neuropathy pain.
Im not complaining. I put up my 60 x 56 shed with this condition. An hour or two with breaks to elevate. 2 years to get undea roof and still working.
I can push the time on my feet but pay the price of longer down time.
I spent a lot of years nursing broken machinery through the job until I could make repairs. You have to learn to get the most out of what you have to work with.

My days of social activity are over.
Having family and my projects is better than what it could have been.
Ive regained most my physical strength back and am happy to be here. Sympathy pisses me off. Ask my wife.
If anyone that reads this thread has a connection to anyone that has the ability to change anything use the thread as a tool. I'll talk to them.
This is life in america

THE BOTTOM LINE TO THIS HEALTHCARE ISSUE IS ITS TURNING FUNCTING FAMILYS INTO POVERTY.
Im a little ashamed of my country. Even veterans get poor treatment. Two nurses were caught laughing while a ww2 vet gasped for air.
I can honestly say I laid awake more nights over the bills than the disease.
We all get old and die. I will accept that. I wont spend $50,000 for a treatment for six more months of life. Theres a time to go.
This is happening all over this country. Creat a third world country while the argue over which party rules.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion