The Real Deal

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Re: The Real Deal

This appears to be a 1940 Chevy 1.5T tow truck. It has the little extra lights on the fenders. It appears to have been in this configuration for a very long time.
It is the real deal!
Attachments
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Scottso "brought" this truck back with him. Welcome back, Scottso!
It's the real deal! I'll take it in my garage, please!
Attachments
image.jpg
Diamond T! Glorious!
image.jpg
Diamond T

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:38 pm

This one is a little rough, but is still lovable and definitely the Real Deal!
Now...what is it?
Possibly ex-military?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:20 am

Not sure what make or model that truck is, but it reminds me of one that I used to see many years ago at work. For a while, I managed the feed mill section of the citrus plant I worked at. One of the feed haulers that came to pick up feed had a '57 Peterbuilt that had been updated with a newer power plant. At that time - mid '90's, the owner said it had exceeded 2.5 million miles. The cab of the truck in the pics looks very similar to the Peterbuilt, but the wheels are definitely much newer.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 pm

https://youtu.be/QCnGyyLhIpE
CB89, do you agree with this guy's description of air in and exhaust out?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:22 pm

I was hoping CB89 would see this and comment. So this is a bump.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Well, all I can say, is maybe he stalled it out and that's what he observed when it ran backwards! The poor 6-71 was lugging! I don't think he ever gat it over 1500 rpm!.
Of all the Detroit's I like the 6-71 the best with the possible exception of a 6-110, which the closest I got to, was above deck on a boat.
Don't think his was nearly as load as mine was with a muffler, when working a train de-rail. Never got above 45 mph but it got-er done!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:36 pm

The part of the video I was referring to comes at 5 minutes and 40 seconds, The driver describes the two stroke Detroit Diesel engine as having a blower that passes intake air through top poppet valves and exhaust exits out the bottom ports of the cylinders.
The company I worked for, at one time, had over 1000 Detroit two stroke engines powering their vehicles. Every one of the DD two stroke I am familiar with exhausted out through two or four exhaust valves in the head. The intake air entered the cylinders through ports at the bottom of the cylinder when the piston was at the bottom of the stroke and the exhaust valves were open. The cylinder ports were matched to an air-box in the block that was pressurized by the supercharger. In the end, it does not matter what this office boy says, the sound of these green leakers is slowly fading into the distant past.
I would like to have an 8V53 on a stand for conversation and to make some noise.
A local landscaping company has several tricycle dumps on monster truck tires. They use these tricycle dumps for spreading top-dressing soil. The 8V53 are governed to about 2800 rpm and drive Allison automatics.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:52 pm

8V-53's are very rare, I don't think many were built because their power range overlapped the bigger -71's with few cyl.
I knew what you were referring to, a few have had a Detroit run backwards for a time, with the scavenge pump turning backwards, it WILL draw air thru the valves and expel it thru the air cleaner. Will not run for long, as the fuel pump is turning backwards and not pressurizing the fuel rail, and the same goes for the lube pump, but they will run for a short time that way.
If you really want to see what goes on inside a Detroit, it is possible to run one (at least at slow speed/power level) with one hand hole cover removed, I have done it!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:37 pm

We still use a backup generator at work that is DD powered- two V8s mated together. From the description, I was led to believe it runs at 1800 rpm, most of the younger guys can't believe just how loud it is, I tell them this one ain't nothing like riding on top of a single V8 or V6 in an old Gimmy working through the gears...
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion