Florida oranges

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Florida oranges

Hey, WEW51L110, what are you guys putting in the oranges? My wife bought 4 oranges at the store and she paid just over $6. Sure taste good.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Re: Florida oranges

Well, since she bought full oranges instead of juice, I can't comment other than to say the soil in every region that grows citrus is different in some way. Florida oranges grow in a mostly sandy soil and other places around the world have usually less sand and more clay or loam with the possible exception of Egypt (N. Africa). Florida oranges have a reputation for being very flavorful. Most whole oranges at the supermarket come from California or Mexico and the soil is not as sandy. I've been working in the citrus industry almost 40 yrs. and Florida grown oranges have always had a superior flavor, for those who can distinguish a difference, from oranges grown anywhere in the world. Oddly enough, 95% of the oranges grown in Florida are processed into juice. So getting fresh fruit from Florida is "special". To put it into a little perspective, the amount of citrus grown in the county I live in is more in total than all of the citrus grown in all of California. The company I work for - until I retire in Feb. - makes their unconcentrated juce from 100% Florida oranges. Our competitors add juices from mostly Brazil or other countries.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:58 pm

We have had oranges from "other countries" and there is a big difference. Florida oranges, while more expansive, are always better tasting. At this moment, we have three large containers of Florida orange juice in our 'fridge. Good job WEW. vive la difference.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:08 pm

http://www.naturalnews.com/052024_cesiu ... fruit.html
old link ,, its much worse now
but its not a health concern .... ?

not good! either way :)
Last edited by Harvey on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Say, Harvey, you appear to like living with a self imposed cloud of dread and gloom over your head. It is not necessary to plant this fear in peoples minds when there may not be a reason for concern.
Radiation is something we all live with every day. It comes out of the concrete in our foundations and radiation can be found in plants and water since I as a kid in Alberta. I am in my seventies now.
The population in Canada is living longer and in better health in old age than at any time in history. I have known, for some time, that I will not live forever, so at best I might have another 20 years maximum. If I deduct some years for the serious health problems I have survived, I think another ten years could be pushing my limits.
So I try to live a full life and enjoy the things I have.
If you are worried about radiation, maybe you should give up welding and stay out of the California sun. Your trade has radiation. Running into a cave to hide from the obvious will put a person in contact with GAMMA radiation emitted by decaying rock are potassium, thorium and uranium.
A modern cell phone has less radiation than one of 20 years ago. Even shooting you guns will heighten your exposure to radiation, in a very minor way.
Talking nonsense raises the level of exposure to +32 rads.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Say, Harvey, you appear to like living with a self imposed cloud of dread and gloom over your head.

not any longer , we are headed in positive direction

the Japan tragedy is just that
it needs all of our attention and societies brightest minds to fix it
for the past 5 plus years its been largely ignored.. Guess that says the unthinkable....
hell yes it bothers me... but you move on.. and don't eat the oranges.. lol :(

be safe

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:14 am

Well Harvey, you're entitled to your opinion. Don't eat the oranges if that's the way you feel. But I feel compelled to say your opinion is off base. If there was such a problem with Florida oranges to advise people to not eat them, there would such a ruckus here in Florida if it was anything to be worried about. Until I went to the link you provided, I hadn't heard anything about that topic and believe me when I say I keep on top of what's going on here in Fl. with citrus. The citrus business is in a very critical position right now, not from radiation, but from the bacterial infection commonly referred to as "GREENING". Any and I do mean any mention of something that threatens citrus is plastered all over the papers here. And, to date, I've seen nothing about any threat from radiation. Greening started in China many years ago and has spread now to all parts of the globe. There are only a few remote places on the earth - where citrus grows - not affected by greening. The scientific name is difficult to pronounce and is often referred to as HLB. The interpretation of the Chinese name is "Yellow Dragon". I won't go into the full description of the disease, but the affected fruit is not harmful to humans. The disease harms the growth of the trees and the development of the fruit. Affected trees still produce fruit, but the tree's ability to get nutrients from the soil becomes restricted until the tree dies. So far there is no cure for this disease, but believe me when I say it's a big deal here when anything harmful to citrus is found because of the importance to the state's economy. Don't eat Florida oranges if that's what you feel, but I'm here to tell you, like Nikki said, radiation is common in all things to a more or less degree, and an obscure report to show how far the radiation has spread is not enough proof of any danger to consumers of Florida oranges. In fact, I would be more suspect of West Coast citrus due to its closer proximity to the source you cite.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:36 am

Heck , nothing can be done what do you stop breathing . of course not!
I am not off base unless Japan did not happen..
as far as eating oranges I love oranges and do eat them. Much if not all
food has been or will be contaminated.

The problem is big and needs to be up front.
Stupid wars , and people with their head in the sand singing comb ba ya
wont cut it, my generation ( including me who worked in the nuke industry )
caused this mess. feeling guilty much unfortunately yes.

Sorry for bringing this up Hell no.. Maybe just maybe it can be solved
Its is a very ugly subject, and one that affects all of us.
Last edited by Harvey on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:37 am

Here on the West Coast tons of junk related to the Fukushima situation litter some beaches. Clean up of the junk is ongoing. Radiation has not been mentioned as a problem.
My wife bought more Florida oranges yesterday, so good.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:50 am

For mankind's sake, I just feel that if occasional
its brought to the forefront maybe someone could find a way to solve the issue.
The EPA has all west coast radiation monitoring stations off line and significantly
raised the limits for safe exposures. How do I know, when I helped build FFTF in 1977 at Hanford as a senior teck
one of several safety items I was required to study was safe limits to protect my crews once the plant went critical,
the safety documents which I still have gave the exposure limits from safe to when to run. (Pictorials)
Is what I have from back them BOGUS?

I trust someone will do a google search and believe what ever the EPA or government
agency tell us. You have to dig deeper , books on the subject of nuclear power
is a good place to get informed.
I have come the conclusion and IMHO its a very dangerous way to boil water to make electricity.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion