What A Nightmare Looks Like

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: What A Nightmare Looks Like

You'd love the fuses on the British buses, a length of fuse wire between two clips with an insulator in between. spare fusible wire wrapped on the insulator. When it burned, you un-wrapped a bit more and stuffed it into the clips. Truly mending a blown fuse. Wire came in different gauges for different fuse rating. About as low tech as you could get.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:40 pm

My idea of a nightmare close hit.
My biker friend showed up for dinner and had a really hot chick with him. My wife arrived home from work and asked, "So, who is this then?" My friend said, "She was here when I arrived." Oh, so close!
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:42 pm

"with friends like that..."

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:58 pm

No problem, here.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Fusible links on "modern" vehicles are a mess! There is no practical way for a repair shop to repair the burned link without making something that looks "backyardish". My guys are always wondering what gauge fusible link to use. The thick insulation on these things hides a puny conductor. Yes, it's a fuse. I get it, but...
Just once I'd like to make a fusible link connector repair that looks STOCK.
Better yet, step up to "maxi-fuses" and just delete the **** things. Not everyone uses fusible links.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:44 am

Early 9670's had a fuseable link at the alternator which also served as the tie point between the cab and chassie. It had a oversized "banana" plug and was replaceable. My '83 still had it but my '89 did not, I have no way of knowing if it was replace or eliminated on the later truck. No idea on the amp rating but it connects to a 4 ga feed wire.
A crimp with heat shrink is about as close as you can come to factory, I suppose you could make up a large Metri-pack connector so future replacements just plug in, but high amp connections are the bane of electrical work.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:28 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:You'd love the fuses on the British buses, a length of fuse wire between two clips with an insulator in between. spare fusible wire wrapped on the insulator. When it burned, you un-wrapped a bit more and stuffed it into the clips. Truly mending a blown fuse. Wire came in different gauges for different fuse rating. About as low tech as you could get.

LUCAS prince of darkness
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:36 pm

At work we discuss the "hot, smart short". Kinda the Murphy's Law of wiring issues- the worst possible case will occur, of melted insulation, high amp circuit overpowering a melted, lower amp circuit only to run the least desirable component at exactly the wrong moment, whilst rendering the most desirable component completely useless.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 pm

We have a customer that thinks smog check is a "drive through". He rarely wants to get out of his truck.
He's got CODES: p1391 and p1393, though!
He NOW is a year or more out of tags...his cell phone calls are becoming more persistent.
His vehicle is a 2000 era Ford 7.3L powerstroke. The codes are for glow plugs. He also has a P0606 ECM processor error code.
I've tried to tell him that we can't fix the truck while he drives it. Great stuff!
I really suspect the po606 is at the bottom of his problems---another old Ford needs a "new" computer.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:16 pm

One of the older retired guys I worked with called today. HIs son drives a V8 powered pickup. I think, due to poor servicing, the cam followers ground into the cam and the engine slowly lost power until it would barely run. So the son, who knows everything and has no experience, beyond You Tube, decides, how difficult can it be to rebuild the engine myself. I should mention the son has no tools other than a few HF blow-mold packs.
He takes engine totally apart and orders all new bits and pieces from the dealer. He gets the cam from an aftermarket source. After "throwing" the engine back together, it will not start. He cannot get the dealer to put the truck on the diagnostics to reset the computer and the local repair shop does not have the ability to do a reset.
So there he sits with a multi thousand dollar lump of iron that is poorly put together and will never run.
I had advised buying a guaranteed used engine from a local auto wrecker for $1500. Old one out exchange engine in and drive the truck away.
This should be an example of, " It is not as easy as it looks." There is a very good reason why a machine shop charges a lot to rebuild an engine. Someone has to pay for the expensive Starrett measuring tools. grinders and boring tools and pay for the guy who knows how to use them.
This pile of junk will likely go onto Craigslist as a Freshly Rebuilt engine. Buyer beware.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion