What A Nightmare Looks Like

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:29 am

Re: What A Nightmare Looks Like

I stepped out of my car in the lot at work Monday afternoon, and a fellow walked up behind me, and said "That car is on fire!" He was on the phone to the emergency number already- the Nissan Altima parked two spots over was smoking from the grill, dripping flames underneath. No extinguisher in my car, crap. A member of our plant fire brigade pulled up- they had seen the smoke rising as they came down the drive, and he had dropped his rider off at the plant fire brigade truck. He soon arrived with two big extinguishers, which we used sparingly around the edges. I popped the release, but the cable had melted, so the guys mushed the molten grill out of the way and we jimmied the latch. More powdered gunk put it out - the wiring and all the plastic underneath was melted into lumps. Just then the owner walked up- she had been at work all day shift, so the car sat there for twelve hours, only to burst into flame five minutes before she was to leave.

Poor gal was crying, I tried to lend her my car for the evening (I know her, kinda), but the wrecker was called and would take her to the shop. If he/we hadn't been able to spot the smoke, there were several nice, new cars right next to hers and no way to identify/contact the owners in time, could have been a real mess.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:18 am

Yeah, its a matter of get it out so it will not spread, the vehicle itself is a total loss either way. I have repaired a few vehicle fires, 2 never were repaired to the point of being reliable. I had a small electrical fire in my '89 while I was in the truck. I got it out with in a minute, but still took a whole lot of work and parts, the whole dash had to come out and a new (used) dash harness and air distribution ducting. If I didn't already have a parts truck it wouldn't have been economically to attempt.
Once a vehicle fire gets a hold, best to get the important things clear than try to fight it unless you have all the stuff to do so. A little hand held fire extinguisher isn't going to get you far.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Several decades ago, I bought a BMW 2002tii for $500. It was the victim of an under-hood fire. The beautiful Kugelfischer injection system was totally destroyed. I bought the body for the interior, alloy wheels, suspension and brakes. My wife owned another 2002 that was in need of some upgrades. I bought and installed EIBACH springs and BILSTEIN shocks and struts. The 2002 was lowered about 4 centimeters. This involved some changes to the IRS mounts.
I machined an opening in a 320 intake manifold and mounted a Mazda Rotary four barrel carburetor. The fit up was easy and worked really well. The engine was line bored, and cleaned up. New valves, a reground cam with performance in mind was installed. All of the rotating parts were balanced. I bought a lightened flywheel and clutch assembly. The engine became free revving. I installed a governor in the distributor to prevent overspeed of the engine. 7000rpm came on too quickly.
After driving the BMW for another 5 years, my wife decided it might be time to sell because the typical rust indicators was starting to show, in the trunk. The BMW sold very quickly, and at top dollar, even with full disclosure of the impending rust. I explained the importance of keeping the governor in place. I was not surprised when the owner tried to return the 2002 two years later. He had obviously over revved the engine and it had come apart. There were holes in the block and pistons in the oilpan. One piston was fused to the cylinder head. This is what a nightmare looks like.
My first move was to check for the governor in the distributor. It was missing. We estimated the engine speed to be near 10,000 rpm when it came apart. The owner did not disagree. After letting us know how he felt about me, he signed the registration over and left in another car. My, then friend, parted out the good parts and the rest went to ABC Scrap Recycling
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 pm

A relative of a car fire is the “struck by lightening” event. A former co-worker’s pristine mid ‘90’s Camaro was the unfortunate recipient of an indirect lightening strike. Was not hit directly, but close enough to cause all the wiring to be fried. The car was still new enough to have most of its warranties intact, so he had the dealership replace the wiring. The car never ran right again, even after multiple returns for “debugging”. He changed jobs, so I lost track of him and the saga of the “lit” Camaro.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Nice thing about our old stuff, they would survive a lightning strike.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Here are a few "nightmares"
The blue GM is a fresh restoration on the first drive
Attachments
1971 BINDER BIG SNOW.jpg
parked with his GF to grind one out. It snowed and they were stuck
death of a 1967 Chevy.jpg
death of a 1967 Chevy
IHC Pontiac.jpg