Motorala combustion heater

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:13 am

Motorala combustion heater

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? They are very similar to a modern Webasto or Espar but were made back in the 40's.
I scored a NOS one a few years ago, and it was missing the fuel pump. I haven't tried it yet as I would need to find a fuel pump that would work with it.
I know the South Wind was common as dirt, but this Motorola is one of two that I have seen. It will work with the engine off (something a South Wind can't) and looks very well made. It must have been a very expensive heater in its day. Mine has three temp settings, but have seen later controls for them where you set the desired temp like a house thermostat.
Here is another;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-40-50s-CHE ... AZ&vxp=mtr
It is missing the control and pump.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Re: Motorala combustion heater

Have you checked with any of the Military surplus sellers? I do not remember the brand, but we had some really good heaters we used in our Maintenance and Radio trucks over in Germany in 76-77 when I was stationed there.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:28 pm

I think the military used a S/W heater, which were also used in small aircraft. Different from the old South Wind, but made by the same company. Either that or Proheat, another company that made heaters.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:08 pm

You are probably right, Even though I was a Mechanic in the Army, those we were told to just disconnect and they were sent in to somewhere else. We were only allowed to remove and replace, not repair on the heaters.

Return to Non-IH discussion