97 international wreck

Just keep it clean please....

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:52 pm

97 international wreck

97intwreck.jpg

Driver of another truck with an unsecured load. 2300lb lead ingot slide into our guys lane. He is going in for back surgery in the morning. Already endured multiple leg surgeries and will have at least one more surgery for pelvis after tomorrow. For those who do, please Pray for this young man that he may walk again.
http://idahostatepolice.blogspot.com/20 ... gmont.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:57 pm

Re: 97 international wreck

Just awful. Yes, I'll pray for him.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:08 am

Load securement is something I take very seriously, I've walked away from more than one load when I felt is was not packaged in a way I could secure it properly on the trailer. I am sorry to hear of drivers injuries.
Proper load securement isn't just making sure it will stay on the trailer, going down the road, but being sure it will stay put when the unexpected happens. This is a prime case. I once had a 80' ft load of the mechanism to raise the doors on a dam, long story short, I ended up going thru a ditch at 50 mph to try and avoid killing a drunk, at 80' the load twisted to torqued the trailer, but stayed put on the trailer and was returned to the MFG because all the welds had to be re- radiographed and certified. I was lucky, it almost rolled the whole rig. I did catch a corner of the drunks car and spun it down the side of the rig, but better that then T boneing it square in the side, sending it under the tractor.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:15 pm

Just to let you know, the young man came through surgery with movement and feeling, apparently they took care of the pelvic area during the 9+ hours they had him in on Thursday. Leg broken in three spots I believe. He is hopefully going to be able to come back Home to the Boise area for rehab and to have his family, and son and friends around for support. He is in for a very long recovery, unknown when or if he will ever drive truck again.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:18 pm

I will call out the company that had the unsecured load, and less than a month earlier, a driver came into a town just down the road from this accident too fast on a corner and killed a local. Couple of months before, one driver tried to take his 13' plus truck under an 11' steel train bridge.
That company is: Sure Wish I Had Finished Training

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:45 pm

lbesq wrote:Just to let you know, the young man came through surgery with movement and feeling, apparently they took care of the pelvic area during the 9+ hours they had him in on .

Thats a real good sign! Legs and lower extremity's are still serious, but to know that he likely will not spend the rest of his life in a quad-chair must be uplifting to all.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:33 pm

It is, and we just got word that workman's comp will assign a nurse to him and will pay for the transport of him the 400 mile from where his to his home town. All his family including his little boy are here, and all his friends are here.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:02 pm

Our Young Driver is now back in the Valley, much easier for his family and friends to support him here. He has a very long road to recovery.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:15 pm

Recovery is always better "at home" I wish him the best, and keep us posted. It can be a long road he is on.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:28 pm

I will keep posted. He still says he is going to drive again. I hope so, but I think, once it is all done, he will get a nice settlement from Swift trucking and be able to care for his son. He has sent me pictures of all his internal "hardware". I think he is going to need a doctors note to go through metal detectors.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion