MICKY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:27 pm

Re: MICKY

On heavy truck "one wire" Delco's that I use, the regulator is not connected to the battery feed directly. It is connected to the stator via its own set of diodes. SO to be a drain, the main diode would have to be shorted or leak badly, and that would show itself in other ways. Presto-lite and Leece-Neville one wire units are connected to battery feed
Never was a fan of internal regulators, but they are what we have today. I don't like anything that places semiconductors in a hot, electro-active environment when it doesn't need to be. That said, the one in my Explorer outlasted the slip-ring on the rotor, so I guess they can work.
With my set-up on the truck I can see one bad cell out of 24 while driving. I can't see a draw of a few MA but on a system of that size a few MA is nothing.
BTW I love the C model IHC, I think they were the best looking model IHC ever made.
I'll withhold judgement on the Vantage until I have a chance to look it over. A skilled mechanic with a older VAT can test so much more than the newer "automatic" units can. An idiot with an older VAT can't tell anything, and idiot with a newer one might find a bad alt or battery, or might not.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:34 pm

The Vantage is a school within a tool. Impossible not to learn something when using it. I learn something new every day. However, you have to understand basic electricity and the difference between power circuits and computer sensor ckts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:44 pm

Monsonmotors wrote:. However, you have to understand basic electricity and the difference between power circuits and computer sensor ckts.

Ah huh, don't go poking willy nilly, Like some who use an old "test light" on signal (low impedance) circuits. Gets expensive real quick.
God I'm so glad to be out of it, even newer heavy trucks are a nightmare. I hope to be dead and gone before I have to deal with any of this stuff to make a living. May dabble in it if I get a new all electric, just for my own edification, but glad I don't "have to"!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:51 pm

An Ebay seller sent me this picture. Mack EE.
Attachments
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:12 pm

Even "old Ford" guys (kinda snobby, sometimes) agree that the IHC C Series was pretty. I have an above average C-1 pickup in parts. Things like bed and rear fenders are so nice.
It needs to go back together.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:03 pm

My ears warned up a little. So, are you saying old guys with Fords, guys with old Fords or old guys with old Fords
I presume you are referring to the 1934 C-line . I agree, that is a beautiful truck, because it looks like a Ford of the same year. LOL.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:18 pm

As long as you think it's pretty...
You know what I mean...some guys can only think about one make. Everything else is "not worthy".
I have a customer with a gorgeous 1936 Ford coupe who can't stand to look at anything IHC.
I'd like to think I'm more evolved than that.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:29 pm

I am dispassionate about this old iron. It is not like I was there when this stuff was "hatched". For me, it is all about "that style". Parts availability is important to me. In 2016 it is possible to build and Old Fat Fendered Ford from reproduction parts. As for Old IHC, we have lots of sheetmetal and I am not hiding behind "keeping it all original". So, for us, we have options, as long as it is Cummins and DANA.
https://youtu.be/_U5M6eIQpZk
The picture is of a 1999 24 valve Cummins with less than 100 kilometers on it. The engine came from a chop-shop and ended up in a police auction. I bought it about 17 years ago. It is complete and ready to run. I did an oil and fuel filters change, cranked it over and put it into storage.
Attachments
NVG 4500.jpg
milled finned side covers soon
241dld transfer case.jpg
241dld TC
cummins 24 valve.jpg
I milled the DODGE off the cover
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:30 pm

How cool! The Holy Grail of Cummins! It will make an awesome IHC.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:06 pm

Just a quick statement on draws from the battery. Always look to see if someone put in an amp and other "fun" radio booster stuff. Even one little light that draws will kill an insufficiently charged battery. Some of the audiophiles will put in a higher output alternator because of the draw of the "electronics" for their stereo systems. I am out, enjoy the back and forth and further education I find on this thread.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion