Commerical registration on personal vehicles in Arizona....

Just keep it clean please....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Commerical registration on personal vehicles in Arizona....

So when I bought my '59 B-162, I was a bit shocked to learn I also had to declare a GVWR and pay the appropriate fee...to the tune of almost $150 on top of the normal registration fees for 18K GVW. This is apparently because Arizona considers anything over a 10,001 GVWR to be a "commercial vehicle" regardless of whether it's actually being used commercially. I ended up declaring it at 8,000 GVW at the time, just so I could get a tag on it and get the title in my name (as Arizona won't issue a title without a license plate at the same time now, unless I take it to get a MVD inspection, and declare the truck as an inoperative vehicle. Given that I had to hire a big truck mover just to get it to my house, I wasn't about to drop another few hundred bucks just to get it towed to an inspection station and back). It really is in-op at the moment, as I need to replace the water pump, the rear brakes, and do some electrical work on it...but I'm also sure it's probably illegal as it likely weighs more than 8K just as it sits empty now.

As the truck itself is under 26,001lbs GVWR, and my trailer is under 10,001lbs GVWR, it appears that I don't need a CDL for this thing though..thankfully. Nor do I need DOT numbers as I'm not generating revenue with it, nor engaging in any type of commerce.

But now I do wonder...do I need to stop at weigh stations? Do I need to deal with log books and such? What happens if I cross state lines, such as if I decide to take a road trip to California, or Colorado? I seriously doubt I'm going to do such things while it still has the stock drive train in it...as I'm not sure I really want to go on a 1,000 mile loaded trip at 40mph :lol: but still...

I'm really beginning to wonder if going down the MDT route was really not such a hot idea after all....
1959 B-162 - BD264, T34, stakebed. Future crawler hauler
1962 Scout 80 - LT1/T400/D300 swap, future D60/14bolt swap.
Dreams of having 1 of every series of IH truck :D

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Commerical registration on personal vehicles in Arizona.

I know it doesn't help directly, but it may help you indirectly:
CA has "historic vehicle" registration. Does AZ? I would sure think so.
Here the only down side to that is a possible added "unsecured property tax" bill down the road.
We have to weigh our toys at a certified weight station and pay extra, too.
Let us know what you find out.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:11 pm

Historic registration, yes. But I believe all it gets me is an additional $25 plate fee every year, and a nifty limited numbers copper license plate to hang on the truck. My buddy has one on his '67 Camaro...it really is a nice piece :) But then, any vehicle older than 25 years also qualifies...I've seen them on econoboxes from the 80's, and they really begin to lose their luster at that point :lol:

I can also put collector car insurance on it, but then hauling with it is out the door, which is the whole reason I bought this mini beast - to haul my Scout and camper to weekend events and trail runs.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Now I get it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:41 pm

When you find out let me know too. I had to register my 1 ton non dually pickup as commercial also, commercial plates cost me close to $800 but I did declare it as 12,000lbs. And my truck is only used as a personal towing my enclosed car hauler.
I have been pulled into two truck scales twice in Oklahoma with them thinking I was commercial because my truck is white, double cab, long bed, no window bed cap and towing a white enclosed car hauler.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:19 pm

From what I've heard, AZ is a bitch to deal with. Just be glad you can keep it under CDL!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:03 pm

KSever wrote: I have been pulled into two truck scales twice in Oklahoma with them thinking I was commercial because my truck is white, double cab, long bed, no window bed cap and towing a white enclosed car hauler.

My neighbor has been trying (rather unsuccessfully) to convince me to leave the "patina" on the cab, along with the old ranch name on the doors, and just shoot clear coat over it. I've resisted every time, as I really don't buy into the whole patina thing...I just think it looks crummy and neglected.

But now this brings up another point...having "Smith Ranch" painted on the door may actually attract the attention of the weight police, and make it appear that I am in fact operating commercially. This is exactly the kind of attention I definitely do not want. Perhaps I might be better off shooting it with olive drab, and hope they assume it's a military rig? :lol: Of course, that may not work so well with a bright red Scout on the bed....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:46 pm

Each state is a little different. I'd take the name off and put "Not For Hire" on the bottom of the door for starters. In Washington it looks like if I'm 16,000 or over then I'm in commercial territory, but if I go 14,000 I'm fine. In WA the licensed tonnage has to be at least the scale weight plus 50%. At least that's what the clerk I talked to said. Sometimes it makes a difference who you talk to.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:19 pm

From an ATHS member who live in AZ I have learned that AZ is somewhat unique, Most other states and the Fed guidelines, allow for non-commercial use to be exempt from most of the normal big truck stuff, AZ however, makes no distinction between non commercial (hobby trucks) and commercial. This means my buddy who has restored many bigger trucks, but due to a medical condition, can't pass a physical, can't even drive his trucks to a show. He has many years in driving commercial until his health sidelined him. Just about every other state and the Fed's would exempt him. Even Calif which is known to be hardass, would allow it, but not AZ.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:55 pm

yea in WA. state you pay tonnage fee,,,,,,unless, you make it so nothing can be hauled in it, or you get classic plate, which then you can haul nothing in it,,,,,,

here we also have to have scale weight when titling, which depending on the DMV will make you haul your vehicle to registered scales,

or if you are lucky like I was, my local DMV accepted the original 1949 sales brochure with scale weight printed.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to Non-IH discussion