Ford Power Stroke Woes

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Ford Power Stroke Woes

Next problem is a long term project. Early 1990s Chevy pickup. 5.7l, a/t. The problem today is poor running.
Test drive reveals sluggish acceleration, huge hesitation, code 44 lean exhaust. Scanning data shows sensors all in line OK but blocklearn is 158. 128 is middle of the road. This is definitely an "add fuel" situation.
Since truck seems to idle great I decide to check fuel pressure. It turns out to be low at about 8psi. Spec is 10-13 psi on GM TBI on trucks, 4.3l, 5.0l,5.7l.
You have to remove fuel filter and install an adaptor to check fuel pressure.
I always repace fuel filter going back together. I think it needs a fuel pump.
Attachments
image.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:52 am

Today's trouble is a misfiring 2000 Toyota Tacoma. All other misfiring possibilities have been looked at. The shaky vacuum gauge needle says it all!
I'm about to unveil one of their hidden problems: valves!
These engines use the "shim" adjusting method. I'm used to it and it's STILL a pain in the a$$.
Instead of hydraulic lifters or the "screw and nut" adjusters these trucks use wafer-style shims of different thicknesses. An "assortment" can cost several hundred dollars. And only be good for Toyota, not on the other makes that use shims.
Since valves generally get tighter when they cause a miss we just grind the backside of the shim to get desired clearance. It works!
The shims fit into little buckets.
Attachments
image.jpg
.006" feeler won't go.....012" is the spec. Here is where I start.
image.jpg
A drawing of what I'm doing.
image.jpg
Much like my "beer truck" donor.
image.jpg
Missing coils, valve cover. Double overhead cams, intake cam is chain driven, ex cam is gear driven off intake cam.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:31 pm

More Ford 7.3L Powerstroke plugged "finger filters" this morning. Same contractor, different truck.
My suggestion is for everyone to check and see if their 7.3L PS tanks are "shedding" liners.
Attachments
image.jpg
Yucky flakes inside.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:41 pm

I have subscribed to this YouTube channel. This guy is passionate about his work and I enjoy every video. https://youtu.be/KLsDTW5Y8Ao
This is another site that has lots of excellent information. http://destroked.com/
I am off to the shop to install a new tilt steering column wire harness.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:58 pm

I love to read MM posts about working on stuff today, It reminds me why I got out of it. My newest is a 1994 Explorer with over 200K and still runs ok. It has a constant need of EGR tubes, a lousy design that will fail continuously, but will have little effect on the car running.
The headaches of trying to repair stuff that was designed to be un repairable, but they never told the consumer that fact!
I'm fairly sure my next vehicle will be an electric, I just don't want to maintain an internal combustion engine made in the last decade. 99% of what my wife drives is to town and back, a 25 mile round trip, perfect fit for an electric.
I don't give a hoot about the so called environment claims of electric's, something is being burned somewhere to charge and run it, I just like the fact I don't have to keep it running. They have every bit as much or more electronics on them, and that may be a problem, but the electronics' don't have to try and keep a mechanical "engine" in tune, and compensate for normal wear and clearances.
For longer trips I alway have my K-7! or Saab 900.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:21 pm

CB, you should take film ala Mr. Goff next time you go for a drive in the K7. :)
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion