Ford Power Stroke Woes

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:51 pm

Ford Power Stroke Woes

Guys, if you are running 7.3l Ford Power Stroke diesels and have been experiencing low power, consider THIS:
These are referred to "finger filters". They are in the fuel tanks. The visible plugging is a common problem on these older workhorses.
You have to either drop the tank or snake the tank unit out.
In our case this morning we are replacing the WORKS. Tank, tank unit straps.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Ford Power Stroke Woes

Hmm, bed is off, so might just pull the pumps out to check.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Lloyd, it appears that the tank lining is what's coming apart and plugging the filters. Just a mess.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Here's the old tank. Contractor's fleet truck.
Attachments
image.jpg
You can see where the lining has come off. Oh boy.
image.jpg
You can see more pieces of tank liner in bottom.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:48 pm

This appears to be sick diesel day. Another weird one-- 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 overcharging passenger side battery only.
I initially thought it was a shorted cell...then a whacked out alternator...but only one battery severely overcharges (blew acid out and caps off) at 18v.
Customer went and had batteries warranteed...
First thing to do was take everything apart up top and clean off/neutralize acid. I wire wheeled/ abrasive disc cleaned all the ends and bolts (after washing them). Removed body grounds and cleaned, too. Not all Dodge diesels have TWO batteries. This one does.
Now we have about a .15v disparity between right and left battery charging at about 14.5v.
Now to test drive...
Attachments
image.jpg
All customer wanted was a smog check...:)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:23 pm

My 2002 RAM 2500 Diesel is going into the transmission shop sometime in the next 10 days. More than one of the transmission cooler lines are leaking at the connections. I do not like the shove together fittings and stay clips. This stuff is clearly designed for easy and quick assembly line and probably not for longevity.
This truck has an oil-to-coolant transmission cooler backed up by an oil-to-air cooler. This truck has more lines than Uncle Miltie. https://youtu.be/zxB-LGQbaEY
I had the transmission rebuilt about three years ago because the torque converter lock-up clutch facings were detached and not releasing. The replacement TC has a lower stall speed. The modified shift holds the gears longer then shifts "firmly".
A local Auto recycler (wrecker) does Diesel conversions with CUMMINS. I was told that a 7.3 Power Stroke was the better engine choice. An engine is no better than the systems that support it.
This Cummins Ram has been very reliable, so far. I have a new 5.9 24 valve in our shop. If I live long enough, I will put this engine put this Cummins in an IHC pickup. Over the last decade I have collected an NVG4500, NVG241dld and a pair of DANA 60s for this project.

I liked the sound of the 6.9 and having that engine in our R120 got lots of attention. The engine was reliable, under powered and like to leak oil and mark it's spot. The economy was very good. This great lump of an engine weighed in at about 1100 pounds.
Attachments
NVG 4500.jpg
NVG 4500
Diesel 6.9 in an R.jpg
6.9 in my R120
cornbinder cummins.jpg
I milled the DODGE off of the valve cover
ORRVILLE RIGHT FRONT.jpg
Out in the bush
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:05 am

I've R&R'd a couple of 6.9l diesels and they ARE heavy.
How many mods were necessary to get it to fit in that chassis? It looks kinda tight to the sides?
I just love it! Such a statement to squeeze all that motor in.
SO many accesories...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:00 am

The 6.9, in the F250 configuration, was wider than long. The right inner fender apron was unchanged, BUT, there was modifications to the firewall, left inner fender and a new and wider radiator and frame set the radiator forward two inches. The firewall setback was about 7 inches to clear the length and width of the V8 Diesel.
I built a subframe under the motor, moved the shockabsorber mounts directly under the motor mounts to transfer the loading directly to the axle. I added air springs with leveling valves on both axles.
The transmission was a Ford C6 shortened by about 12 inches. I substituted the rear of an early C6 from a mid 1970s extra cab F250 added a 205 transfer case and a Gear Vendors OD.
The R120 ran reliably for two decades and 225,000 miles. I gave the R120 away.
It cost me about $26k to build this truck.
I have mentioned this truck a few times on this forum. It was my Dad's truck.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:22 am

I know that you've discussed it. The picture of that 6.9l stuffed in there says WOW. Another thing all together.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:42 pm

2012 Malibu headlight bulb replacement involves removing front fascia. NOT a great design.
I'm not sure if the gas stations I started out in would've taken a chance on scratching paint to install these bulbs. Just a ridiculous way of doing things.
Attachments
image.jpg
Just say "AH".
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion