'letric cars"

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: 'letric cars"

you got that right. the making of the batteries is dirty business and wasteful of resources.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon May 09, 2016 5:17 pm

We own a Nissan Leaf. Had it about six years now and still going strong. 22,000 miles so far. People don't realize how the miles on those short trips pile up. I didn't. My wife was behind the purchase. I was pretty skeptical. I can't begin to count the number of times I used it to go get a quart of oil, or downtown to the hardware store. Something like 80 percent of all trips people take are around town, pick up the kids, go shopping, go to the post office type deals. Costs about 90 cents to put a hundred mile charge in it. I know they are not for everyone, but I'm glad she got it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 09, 2016 9:02 pm

Chicojohn wrote:We own a Nissan Leaf. Had it about six years now and still going strong. 22,000 miles so far. People don't realize how the miles on those short trips pile up. I didn't. My wife was behind the purchase. I was pretty skeptical. I can't begin to count the number of times I used it to go get a quart of oil, or downtown to the hardware store. Something like 80 percent of all trips people take are around town, pick up the kids, go shopping, go to the post office type deals. Costs about 90 cents to put a hundred mile charge in it. I know they are not for everyone, but I'm glad she got it.

Tell me more about you Leaf, how is it for inside room, have you noticed the battery loosing capacity over time? I read this might be a problem, although it seams to be more a hot climate problem. Anything you like or dis like about it.
99% of the miles my wife puts on are 12 miles to town and back. It sounds like a good deal for that service.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue May 10, 2016 8:23 am

CB, the battery has held up well. The Leaf has a feature that allows you to charge the battery to 80 percent. That's about 75-80 miles which is plenty for the way we use it. The dealer said the best way to extend the life of the battery was to not charge it to 100 percent all the time. I think there's been a slight drop in the miles you get per charge. My wife seems to think it dropped, so I checked it. It gets pretty hot here in No.Cal. in the summer, but that hasn't effected it.

It has regular drive which has roughly the same power as a six cylinder or "Eco", about the same as a four cylinder. You can shift between the two at any time or speed. It has plenty of giddy up to easily merge into freeway traffic at 60-65 mph. It charges on 110 (real slow), 220( four to six hours) and 440 ( about 20 minutes they say. I've never seen a 440 charger). It does charge itself when going downhill.

As far as comfort, I'm not that tall and not too wide yet, so it's o.k. for me. It's a compact, so it doesn't have the room of, say, a Binder. Best to find one and sit in it.

I know a woman who drives to work in the next town over in a Leaf everyday. About 55 miles round trip. She charges at night and has never had a problem. If your round trips are about 25 miles, you'd have to charge about every third day.

Hope that helps.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 10, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks again, It is helpful. I am thinking that we might buy an lease turn in. so 3 years old or there about.
They don't hold their value like a gasoline car, but that wouldn't be an issue for us as we would keep it for as long as it would move. Our current Explorer is 22 years old and has 200K on it. Not much residual value left in it either!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 12, 2016 10:44 pm

Tesla-schemsla, Volt-dolt, check this bad boy out!
https://nikolamotor.com/one
Interesting concept, but I wouldn't want the 1st one.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 12, 2016 11:26 pm

That is an impressive truck tractor!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:56 pm

2 weeks ago there was an "electric car day" in Des Moines, and since I had to be home for a Doctor Appt, I went.
Merc, BMW and other high end Mfg were there along with Mitiu, Nissan, Chevy, Smart and a few home made jobs.
I'm a tall guy (6'3") and not thin. My brother has a Prius and I found I was looking just under the sunvisor to see out! Not how I would like to drive.
Sat in the Mitsu , Chevy (Volt not Bolt) and Nissan. Didn't like the high belt line in the Volt, and the drivers area was cramped for my frame. Mitisu was OK but don't try and sit in the back. I was impressed with the Leaf, I could sit front or back, and while I would never be in it longer than 2 hr (not enough mile ability to be in longer at 82 mile limit) I would be comfortable. After talking with a few owners went an test drove a used one. I was impressed. The only negative I found about the design (other than it has limited range that all electrics do) is that all small/efficient cars seam to have the same profile, with poor rear view for backing or for blind spots. Side mirrors take care of blind-spots (after all, I am a Semi driver) and rear view camera for backing, I just am old fashion, and want to use my eyes not some display.
We will likely spring for a used/off lease unit sometime in a future. Our '94 Explorer is now starting to see structural parts rusting. Not to a safety point yet but that day is coming.
It was nice not having to hop from dealer to dealer to check out the offerings, and put myself in the path of so many salesman. The Salesman at the Nissan dealer was an actual owner of one and very low pressure, he let the car sell itself, a rarity in car salesman, in my opinion.
If you considering one, I would see if an "event" like I went to will be in your area, worth seeing all options and being able to talk to real owners not just what the sales force want to tell you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:48 pm

Ballard Power Systems http://ballard.com/ are about three kilometers from here. The company I used to work for did some of the service and mechanical inspection on a few of their busses. The busses were carefully guarded when they were in for service, so non of us ever got to look behind any panels.
I have followed these busses in traffic. Other than an almost inaudible whine and a continuous water mist, it was not obvious what was happening. There were some very futuristic looking vehicles from that company.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:05 pm

The thing to remember about hydrogen fuel cells, is that hydrogen is not a fuel but a power transmission device. Just like a powerline. The hydrogen is made by splitting water in to O2 and H2 and it requires more energy than you get back when you re-combine it.
I'm not against it, but it is not zero emissions, depending on how the H2 was generated.
The aforementioned Nikola semi tractor has switched from NG turbine power to Hydrogen fuel cell, and in my opinion, has reduced its viability.
Previous

Return to Non-IH discussion