WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

That is the dream.

In violation of my original plans, I decided to take the latest drill press apart and start the clean-up. No surprises, just lots of petrified grease and "sawdust???" I started to clean a few pieces with aluminium oxide media, in the blast cabinet. I did not think it was working very well and when I took the blast gun apart, it was nearly worn through. It is my fault for assuming that someone might do the service. I think the gun is destroyed and replacing the ceramic nozzle may not be a fix, now.
I was thinking that I like the original machinery turquoise colour and I would buy a few rattle cans from TREMCLAD/RUSTOLEUM and that would be it. Now that these companies are one and the same, that color is not offered, here. The boss just suggested grey like the WF and J Barnes. So it is grey then, situation solved.
Attachments
more parts.jpg
more parts
coming apart.jpg
coming apart easily
to be cleaned.jpg
to be cleaned
side gears.jpg
side gears
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:57 am

That is the idential shade of green as my recently acquired metal cutting bandsaw. I would think I can find a close match in a rattle can in the automotive aisle. What is the brand name of the drill.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:23 am

The name cast into the frame is HOEFER MFG. INC. FREEPORT ILL
My friend just bought a monster camelback drill press at an off-site auction. The bidding went from an opening suggested $2500 all the way down to $50. My friend and another guy bid at the same time then my friend raised his bid to $75. SOLD Tax and fees brought the final total to $104.
Anyway, he called to tell me "we each have one, now ". When I said that I now have two, he suggested that I do something that involves sex and travel.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:28 pm

I was surfing around the internet and looking for HOEFER DRILL PRESS. I found a private page that must belong to a person who has had his patience worn too thin. I suppose that his strongly held position could apply to other forms of old machinery. I understand.
THE CUT AND PASTE:
Attention stupid! Working with old machinery is Not for amateurs! Due to the age of these drills, most parts are unavailable and must be made by a competent machinist. These drills are obsolete! Many of the original manufacturers have gone completely out of business or have changed ownership and no longer stock parts for the old drills. Buyer beware! You are on your own if you buy one of these old drills. There are no longer any parts made for these drills. If you break something, then you manufacture your own parts. If you have a problem with making your own parts then DON'T buy one of these drills. Are you an idiot? Are you too stupid to understand this? I can't help you if you buy a broken drill. In fact I just don't care. If you buy one of these drills and it doesn't work and you aren't skilled enough to figure it out on your own, then don't bother me because I can't help you. These drills are for experts that can figure these things out on their own. Not for morons that buy broken tools and expect everyone else in the world to help them for free. If you have to ask me how to do it, then you haven't got what it takes to repair one of these old drills.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:19 pm

here is a picture of the smallest Camelback drill I have. The motor is a modified GENERAL ELECTRIC washing machine motor, MADE IN USA. I turned the ends caps that hold the bearings 180 degrees to place the oilers in the correct orientation, cut the oversized base down and mounted it after some serious freshening.
The motor that came with this drill was junk rigged on with some rotten old wood and twisted wire. the motor ran way too fast and had an over-size pulley. The chuck speed might have been 7000rpm. The fellow who sold the drill was an engraver, so, maybe.....................
Attachments
A camelback's rear view.jpg
A CAMEL'S REAR VIEW
Motor ID Tag.jpg
MOTOR ID TAG
Modified motor base.jpg
MODIFIED BASE
sold by, who made the drill.jpg
SOLD BY, WHO MADE IT
polishing the conductor plates.jpg
POLISHING THE CONDUCTORS
the smallest camelback drill in the shop.jpg
I do not have an manufacturer's name

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:37 pm

Years ago, I bought one of those off-shore sandblast cabinets because it was severely discounted. I kept the less than wonderful cabinet alive for more than a decade with parts made in this country. When the replacement gun quit once again and this time there were no repair parts, I decided to replace the POS with a MODULABLAST E4824. It was just a little more than a bunch of parts. The new cabinet comes with its own vacuum unit, foot control for the air, good lighting and a media gun made in CANADA. I was told that it should be here is just over a week.
For the last few weeks we have been using aluminium oxide media and I have to say that I do not like it. It does clean rather well, but the parts are left with layers of fine dust that stick like paint. MAGIHC says it is the static electricity build up. We are going back to glass beads.
Attachments
E4824.jpg
E4824
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:21 pm

how about walnut shells? Or perhaps Soda? I like that cabinet!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:53 pm

I don't think that I have a need for those media, here. I have wanted a NOD U BLAST for years. It can be top loaded, so less shop space is needed. The 48" by 24" will give that extra floor space that I have needed many times. Mike got the other cabinet.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Nice Mod-U-Blast, I have been to there business in Edmonton. Very well built stuff, I have most of there parts on a really old Ft Garry sandblast cabinet that was built in Winnipeg from the 70's.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Paradise Valley, so beautiful there.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion