WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

The hanging scale arrived today and it looks good.
I have been cruising craigslist a second cherry-picker. Only minutes after this seller posted it for sale, I called. My son and the seller loaded the engine hoist, I paid $100 and we were back home in 45 minutes.
This cherry-picker is a RUGER, MADE IN USA. It is more than adequate for my intended use.
Attachments
CHERRY PICKER RUGER.jpg
ENGINE HOIST 1.jpg
RUGOR ENGINE HOIST
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:46 pm

https://youtu.be/0j9e2aa-UIk This is a better idea. I made a set of two rolling axle stands that work well enough
Attachments
rolling axle stand 2.jpg
rolling axle stand.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 09, 2017 8:37 pm

picked this up at a swap meet a couple weeks ago. Looks like it has never been used. Not sure the last time I had a need for an extractor, but I could not pass up the deal.
Attachments
IMG_1643.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 09, 2017 9:06 pm

On December 4, 2016, I posted the following:
Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:40 pm by nikkinutshop
I am hard pressed to think of a tool that I have regrets over buying. I am serious about having the right tool for any task when substituting leaves me feeling uneasy. A near miss might be the vehicle mover dollies, because I find them just a little to difficult to move by myself. I have not tried to move the car again after I "adjusted" the wheel brakes on each dolly. In full off, the brakes were dragging just enough to make a move into a two person event.

Since that time I have not been able to use the vehicle positioning dollies because they are too difficult to move on my own.
I have been in email and telephone contact with the original builder/distributor more than a few times. My situation was not being dealt with so I went on You Tube so see if this company had posted a video. Voila! I was in luck. I posted a less than happy customer reply detailing my situation. In a very short time one of the company employees made contact and requested that I call. After the video they requested failed because their system could not accept more than 20 seconds of video. I do not want to post a video on You Tube until after they fail to make this situation right.
Today a company manager asked for some still pictures to demonstrate my situation. I sent the following pictures with an explanation as follows. It should be noted that the set of dollies have 16 casters. There was no lubrication in any of them. I did put lithium grease in two and there was little or no improvement.
I used an inside measuring tool to determine the opening size of one of the wheels. That measurement is .8750”. I then measured the diameter of one of the roller bearings in several places and that measurement is .8140” This leaves a difference of .0610”, or 61 thousandths of an inch. An acceptable difference would be between .001” and an absolute maximum of .010” This difference is a 1/16”.
In two of the other pictures I clamped a caster in a mill vice and pictured the left and right deflection of the wheel. The BLICKLE German casters I have in stock show no detectable deflection.
Another problem is that of the rollers in the axle bearings. They are little more than mild steel pieces of wire that have been cut off with what appears to have been a side-cutter or shear. The burrs from the cut have not been smoothed and the rollers will not “roll” because they jam in the plastic roller locater. The only bearings that have any lubrication are the two casters that I put lithium grease in. Every other bearing came from the factory dry.
I included a picture of the Go-cart under a tire and another picture of that unit. The closest caster was randomly chosen for measuring.
Attachments
GOCART WHEEL WOBBLE RIGHT.jpg
wheel deflection because the axle is poorly made
GOCART ROLLER CUT WIRE.jpg
cheap mild steel cut wire rollers
GOCART WHEEL OPENING .8750 INCH.jpg
GOCART ROLLER BEARING OD .8140 INCH.jpg
.8140 bearing OD
GOCART MEASURE WHEEL OPENING.jpg
GOCART THIS IS THE CASTER I REMOVEDFOR MEASURING.jpg
GOCART RF USED TO MEASURE.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 10, 2017 6:36 am

I have a set of dollies similar to these. work well enough, can push the vehicle around. granted you have jack up the vehicle to slip this under the wheel. I primarily use them though with jack stands in the middle to support my truck as I work on it.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view= ... ajaxhist=0

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:On December 4, 2016, I posted the following:
Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:40 pm by nikkinutshop
I am hard pressed to think of a tool that I have regrets over buying. I am serious about having the right tool for any task when substituting leaves me feeling uneasy. A near miss might be the vehicle mover dollies, because I find them just a little to difficult to move by myself. I have not tried to move the car again after I "adjusted" the wheel brakes on each dolly. In full off, the brakes were dragging just enough to make a move into a two person event.

Since that time I have not been able to use the vehicle positioning dollies because they are too difficult to move on my own.
I have been in email and telephone contact with the original builder/distributor more than a few times. My situation was not being dealt with so I went on You Tube so see if this company had posted a video. Voila! I was in luck. I posted a less than happy customer reply detailing my situation. In a very short time one of the company employees made contact and requested that I call. After the video they requested failed because their system could not accept more than 20 seconds of video. I do not want to post a video on You Tube until after they fail to make this situation right.
Today a company manager asked for some still pictures to demonstrate my situation. I sent the following pictures with an explanation as follows. It should be noted that the set of dollies have 16 casters. There was no lubrication in any of them. I did put lithium grease in two and there was little or no improvement.
I used an inside measuring tool to determine the opening size of one of the wheels. That measurement is .8750”. I then measured the diameter of one of the roller bearings in several places and that measurement is .8140” This leaves a difference of .0610”, or 61 thousandths of an inch. An acceptable difference would be between .001” and an absolute maximum of .010” This difference is a 1/16”.
In two of the other pictures I clamped a caster in a mill vice and pictured the left and right deflection of the wheel. The BLICKLE German casters I have in stock show no detectable deflection.
Another problem is that of the rollers in the axle bearings. They are little more than mild steel pieces of wire that have been cut off with what appears to have been a side-cutter or shear. The burrs from the cut have not been smoothed and the rollers will not “roll” because they jam in the plastic roller locater. The only bearings that have any lubrication are the two casters that I put lithium grease in. Every other bearing came from the factory dry.
I included a picture of the Go-cart under a tire and another picture of that unit. The closest caster was randomly chosen for measuring.

The original supplier of my wheel dollies is replacing the 16 casters. They have been very easy and understanding to deal to deal with once they had picture evidence of the failure.
I bought these go-carts because I needed them. It has taken months the get here.
I though I was buying Made in USA because this is an older American company. I was disappointed when I was told that everything they sell in 2017 is made In China. If I had known this, I would not have bought from them. For the nearly $1000 I could have built something better in my shop, in Canada.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue May 23, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue May 23, 2017 8:07 pm

Let us hope that the replacements work as they are supposed to.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 23, 2017 8:23 pm

I am being told the replacement casters will be tested before shipping. I needed to move the car today and I am not able to do it on my own. My son works the night shift and he stayed for over-time today, so he is still asleep. (18:21h) I moved on to something else.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:09 pm

this is a tool I made for winding the impulse spring in the IHC magnetos for my IHC LB engines.
Attachments
IHC LB billet covers 2.jpg
with billet covers
magnito impulsr spring rewind tool.jpg
modified 3/8" socket for winding the impulse spring for an IHC magneto

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:54 pm

I was not able to use these vehicle shop dollies because of a problem with the wheels. I called BENDPAC and sent them a few pictures of the situation. They could not have been more helpful and I was sent replacement parts almost immediately. I am so pleased with the Bendpac customer service, I will be buying one of their four post car lifts in the near future,
The customer service at Bendpac is an example of how-to t treat the customer and have everyone win.
Attachments
BENDPAC WARRNTY REPLACEMENT.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion