WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

The stupid parade of Craigslist Flakes has started. "I will be there in an hour, I live way out here somewhere." "Would you take my low-ball offer and I am too lazy to drop by and see it, so I will waste your time because I am a jerk-off?" "I already have one of those so I do not need another but I need to know some details."
I would rather give things away than deal with a bunch of CL Bums. I called a few persons yesterday and there is a possibility some stuff has found new homes. I am careful with who I give stuff to. For too many persons, FREE, means no value because they did not have to work for it. I know where the City of Burnaby recycling transfer station is. I have used this transfer station more than a few times.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:41 pm

I put this steel 27 drawer cabinet on Craigslist and there was a flurry of calls. The first caller arrived on time and when he said he would. I was asking $125 for the cabinet. I told him to make it $100 because he was a good buyer. I think it is important to encourage good buyers. I have another of these cases and as soon as I get it emptied, he will take it also.
I wish every CL deal was this quick and easy.
I have these remaining item on CL. 1883 WF and John Barnes drillpress, Walker Turner bandsaw blade welder, motorcycle wheel clamp, a nice 52 inch 28 gauge sheetmetal brake my Dad made for me.
I am not trying to sell anything here.
Attachments
WF AND J BARNES SIDE TOOL TRAY.jpg
22 INCH DRILLPRESS
WALKER TURNER BLADE WELDER.jpg
WALKER TURNER BLADE WELDER
SHEETMETAL BRAKE.jpg
BRAKE
27 drawer cabinet.jpg
27 drawers. SOLD

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Brian- You've mentioned several times that your Dad built that brake- did he have one to copy or access to parts? Everything looks like a factory tool (admittedly, I am far from a sheetmetal expert). It would be easy to say you inherited the roots of your fabulous talents from him.

I credit you for recognizing when to "flip the switch" from quantity collecting to quality collecting.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:40 am

Dad built this sheetmetal brake in 1979. Dad had a sheetmetal shop and I am sure he copied the basic idea. One of the changes Dad made was a cross shaft to lift and lower the left and right sides together.
I had asked Dad to watch for a sheetmetal brake at the auction sales he liked to frequent. A few weeks later I got a call from a freight forwarding company to pick up a heavy metal something. This brake was one of three he built. Dad made all of the parts and pieces. To save money on the high cost of having a machine shop grind the upper leaf, Dad made a track for his angle grinder. Dad said it took about 50 passes to get the angle he wanted.
I have a few of the tools he made. I keep a clamp and a powered torch carrier tools because they represent what a farmer with limited resourses can do. The torch carrier drives on 4 inch channel. the motor is 32 volt and speed is rheostat controlled.
Dad built a tiny shop crane. I sold it to a local engine shop. This shop likes the small size in their small shop spaces.
I do not keep a bunch of stuff because it was Dad's. The better way to honour Dad's handy-work is to put it to work .
Dad threatened me with death if I did not go to trade school and "make something of myself"
I have not had very much interest in the brake. I have reduced the price to $350 Maybe this is the problem. I will edit the asking price to $750 after I submit this post.
My sister was selling her BMW 2002tii. She was asking $2500 and it was not selling. When she called, I told her to raise the asking price to $10,000. The BMW sold in two hours.
Attachments
C CLAMP BY MY DAD 1935.jpg
shop built clamp
torch carrier.jpg
Torch carrier

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:54 pm

I love your stories on here. To me this is raw engineering at its best. Your father and yourself appear to be very skilled and talented people. I like your ideology of keep the tools working, even if it means giving it up to another person. I too have made a very similar clamp to the one shown. I will post a photo at the weekend. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:39 pm

I have called a Craigslist seller about his Cummins 5.9 liter 12 valve. I think some caution is in order here. What appears to be the same engine is pictured on Craigslist in Blaine, Washington at $1700, Delta, BC at $2500 and Merritt, BC at $3000. I would like to have this 12 valve, P pump fueled engine for my Vintage IHC Crewcab project. I have a 1000 kilometer 1999 24 valve in a corner of my shop. the 24 valve has been there in the corner since November 6, 2005. The 24 valve was in a test driven Ram 3500 and did not return to the dealer. I bought it at an insurance company auction. I have the receipt.
I like to have most, if not all of the main parts in stock, before a project starts. I do not have a good picture of the R120 box.
Rod at Scout Pluss http://scoutpluss.com/ has lots of IHC stuff. I bought a Scout/Saginaw steering column and a few transfer case knob inlays and a case of "T" shirts from him. Rod is a guy that everyone, IHC, should meet and get to know. Fantastic personality. A real artist with his PASSCHE air brush.
Attachments
R150 FRAME 3.jpg
IHC frame rear section.
R150 FRAME 2.jpg
IHC frame mid section
R150 FRAME 1.jpg
IHC frame front section
AAH OOH GAH GOES HERE.jpg
Orrville crewcab/
F350 DANA 60 HP.jpg
1997 F350 high-pinion Dana60 (3:73)
E350 DANA 60.jpg
E350 rea Dana 50 (new) (3:73)
241dld transfer case.jpg
241dld transfercase
NVG 4500 FRONT 1.jpg
NVG4500
CUMMINS 24 VALVE BRINGING IT HOME.jpg
bringing the 24 valve home

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:12 am

I collect watches and as a result spend a bit of time on Ebay looking for the next addition to my collection, I have often found watches that are listed twice by two different sellers using the exact same photos. There are a lot of scammers out there and when dealing with people out of country or even out of state (province for our northern neighbors) it can be very difficult to recoup any losses you may incur through an internet transaction. I guess what I am getting at is that the old maxim "Buyer beware" is just as true today as it ever has been.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:06 pm

I did some "freshening" on my PEXTO box and pan brake, today. A lever that goes into a drive coupling was bent and frozen tight. A trip through a bandsaw removed the bent section of shaft/handle. I back drilled the coupling and drove the stuck shaft section out. The preplacement shaft/handle will be longer and the extra will stick out the other side of the coupler. I have a lock and hold idea in mind. This should hold the brake open while metal is being positioned. I want the lock and hold thingee to release the lever with a light touch. More pictures tomorrow.
Attachments
DRIVE COUPLING.jpg
DRIVE COUPLING

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:28 pm

My Craigslist, for sale by owner, advert for a set of 100 year old hand shears finally got a buyer, today. The man likes old tools. He makes Medieval armour for a hobby. :t3901;
Attachments
SHEETMETAL SHEARS A METRE LONG (2).jpg
a century old set of hand shears.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Maybe he'll use the shears to cut wire for making chain mail.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion