WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 31, 2013 9:16 am

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Hupmobile- on the list in the lid. There's a name I haven't heard in a long time!

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 31, 2013 12:15 pm

man, what a great find! this puller is cool.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 31, 2013 3:26 pm

And to think for years we have been struggling to remove our steering wheels, then to find out Snap-on made a tool for it. DOOOOHHH.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:39 pm

My wife left for England yesterday and will be gone for the next three weeks, giving us a welcome break from her latest major renovation. In her rush toss stuff out and recycle, I was able to save an IHC parts counter book for the L, R and S series trucks. That was a close call and this rare parts book could have been lost forever. MAGIHC truck parts, in Merritt, BC was the happy recipient and I know that Mike will put it and about 10 other Old Binder parts books and shop manuals to good use. This was a close one.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Glad they were saved and passed on to someone who will put them to good use.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:22 pm

I was awake at 3AM and took a quick look at CRAIGSLIST/TOOLS. Someone had just posted, for sale, an 80 gallon INGERSOLL-RAND vertical air tank with all of the controls. The tank is new and at $150, it was too good to pass up. I have an IR T30/242 from an auction where it was in pieces and sold for $50, some assembly required. The box of compressor parts included all of the pieces and a master rebuild kit with bearings, gaskets, seals, reeds, three new intercoolers and new reed plates. While we were loading the big tank into my pickup, I was offered a new MATATHON 5hp compressor duty motor for an additional $100. This may be my best deal ever, a complete IR and working IR compressor system for $300. I don't use the term, but if I did, I suppose that it could be said that I was "BLOWN AWAY" Pun intended. I may have a 50 gallon SPEEDAIRE twin for sale, cheap or for trade. Look for it on CL.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:01 pm

I did the first real start and run of the compressor, just after noon, today. I think that this is a “home run” unit. It builds air very quickly and will build up and shut off while someone is using the blast cabinet, and it is much quieter than the Old Speed-Air. The 80 gallon tank will go from zero to 125 psi in about 4 minutes. I am going to operate at 125 off and 90psi on, rather than 40 psi higher, for off and on, that is well within the ability of this unit.
The handle at the front of the compressor is useable on several pieces of shop equipment that are too heavy to move easily. It acts like an inverted fifth wheel and just raises one end off the floor, .250 inch, and with very little effort the heavy stuff just glides across the shop, on two fixed phenolic (plastic) 3 inch wheels, at the rear of the4 compressor base, and the two on the base of the handle. I am informed that the complete compressor unit weighs just about 650 pounds.
It will be a full day’s job to dig the other compressor out of the corner, where it has been for decades.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:11 pm

heck of a Deal, I paid $1300 for a vertical compressor for the Dry Cleaners, and was happy to get it at that price. Pays to have insomnia!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:14 pm

My son and I dug the old compressor out and replaced it with the new to us one, today. OMG, there were a few surprises in the corner. Big spiders, webs and a few things that fell off the shelf. The best part is that the compressor runs and builds air like mad and much quicker and quieter. The spec sheet suggested 19.7 cfm @ 175psi.
The old compressor tank had some rust that I was uncomfortable with, so I had my son plasma cut the side out of the tank so it can't be used again. It goes to recycling tomorrow.
We had to empty a bunch of shelves and move them, temporarily. There are, literally, 750 pounds of various antique wrenchs. I'd forgotten most of them,so there is no point in keeping the lot. I will try to post a for sale list in the near future. It is time.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Here is a little purpose built tool that my Dad made in the 1950's. The electric drive is airplane war surplus. I know what it is. What is your best guess?

PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion