WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:31 pm

THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

As I often do, I was browsing Craigslist early this morning. There was this deal of a lifetime. The seller listed her deceased Father's Snap-On 48 inch lower roller case as being full of Snap[-On tools. The pictures verified this. The seller was asking $650 and I was about to call and make arrangements to buy. My long time friend called to say he just got out of the hospital after 6 weeks of near being death a couple of times. We talked for 58 minutes. As soon as we got off the phone, I tried to call and the tools and box was sold. The box was worth more than $2000, empty, in this market.
I have done really well on Craigslist, so, there will be another opportunity, soon.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

I agree, there will likely be another opportunity to come along soon. The visit with a good friend is priceless and far more worth time than anything else. Those are my views.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 pm

My friend would not agree with you. He is too practical.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Interesting development. I got a call from a fellow engine collector this morning. He asked if I have noticed the reoccurring SnapOn tool box for sale from a person identifying herself as Heather. He said there is no Heather and not toolbox. It is a scam, as another of his friends found out. I was told this toolbox has been posted for sale no less than 4 times in as many months.
I am moving on.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:20 am

These new casters arrived this morning. They will replace the poor quality casters that came on the very expensive wheel dollies I bought a year ago. I thought I was buying MADE IN USA, but, I was screwed. The original casters had .061" of clearance between the bearings and the wheel bore. The wheel would fall to one side and lock-up. These replacement casters are not much better, but the casters swivel easier because they have a better crown.
There are 16 casters on a set of four dollies.
I bought these wheel dollies late last year, and here a year later the company is finally trying to do something about the situation they generated. I would like to think their product was better when it was Made in USA.
If I were to buy the German Made casters I prefer, I would be out of pocket about $45 X 16. This is not going to happen.
http://www.blickle.ca/en-ca/products/pr ... JoQAvD_BwE
Notice, I did not use the original company name. I think they continue to really try to make this right, but, maybe they need someone on staff who understands how to use measuring tools to check that the supplied components meet spec. When I buy casters for other projects, I know what to look for and I do not have this problem. When something comes assembled in a box from a reputable company, I did not check. This will not happen again.
Attachments
NEW CASTERS 2.jpg
new casters (16)
ONE OF THREE THAT WORK.jpg
very little improvement.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 pm

That toolbox scam has been running in my area. Im sure its a different scammer because these were craftsman. A top box full of tools for $30. Her response was send the $30 dollars and its yours. It was tempting to send money to lock the purchase in.
Temtation to not miss a good deal can be costly. See and touch before you buy.
Im trusting enough to fall for the scam but she was advertising in our same small town. When I asked to meet at a place she would feel comfortable the response was send $30 first.
My trust is gone forever.
That $600 toolbox would have been a sweet deal.
Nice casters Nikki I hope they do the trick.
I get my high on heavy iron, the older and heavier the better I feel.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 pm

I have four of the wheel dollies working satisfactorily and three spares. I may have the fix for the #4 dud.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:31 pm

This tool is designed to pick up plate steel or any piece of steel up to 1" thick. The largest piece of plate i've picked up was 3/4"x4'x4'. I have slipped it over the end of an 60' I beam and dragged it across a field.
The thickness limit is 1". The harder you pull the tighter it grips. The steel ring is to keep the chain pulling at a 45* angle to the gripper lever.
The gripping lever has teeth cut in the part that contacts the steel. Very handy tool.
I paint tools that I use in the field red to make them easier to see. The yellow lettering is so you can see brand.
It came feom a foundry closing up. They probably moved the jobs to china.

fgy.jpg

fufytyr6r86r.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Hauling steel I've been around alot of those. It is amazing how well they work, but I'll still get no where near the plate while suspended.
Another interesting thing to watch is a guy who is real good with an electro-magnet, he can separate plates and take just the amount he(or she) wants like he is picking thru the stack with his fingers.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:02 pm

No matter how its suspended i use a lot of caution. When I was a young printer I watched a guy loading a large rotogravure printing cylinder get his hand betwaan the journel and the transport cart. I seen him 20 years later with a useless hand.
Those magnets keep the plate flat. Thats better in most situations for setting it back down.
Those guys that seperate those large piles of scrap or unload trucks do get good at picking the piece they want.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion