Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Pictures of what.?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Hope to have pictures of the equipment that will be for sale at the auction. It has been over 30 years since I was last in that shop, but memory tells me it had some of the stuff you like. I could be wrong.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:52 pm

I picked up my camelback drill press in MERRITT this morning and it is home now. It is in much better condition than I had hoped for. A really good cleaning, repaint and service will set this drill press up for another century of service. This unit is called HOEFFER MFG
This drill press suffers most form years of accumulated dirt. There is very little wear on any of the gears. New flat belts will be part of the restoration along with a modern electric motor with reverse. I will probably mount the new motor under the lower drive, in a "dog-house".
Attachments
NEW TO ME DRILL PRESS.jpg
NEW TO ME GEARS.jpg
NEW TO ME TOP DRIVE.jpg
NEW TO ME BACK GEARS.jpg
NEW TO ME TOP RDRIVE GEAR AND CRANK HANDLE.jpg
NEW TO ME GEAR GUARD.jpg
SIDE LIFT GEARS.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:50 am

That's a real hi-tech unit compared to the one I got from my granddad. It came out of a production machine shop with the line shaft that ran down the center of the building and all of the machines were run by belts from it. It does have a hand crank when the belt was moved over to the idler. It probably pre-dates yours at least 50 years. I had a stand made to mount it on and it has been partially disassembled for many years waiting for me to put it back together. It has babbited bearings. Granddad was a blacksmith in WWI, in the Argon Forest in France. When or where he got the drill press is a mystery to me. My plan has always been to try to mount an electric motor on it, but it's a stalled project that I'll probably get to once I retire.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:51 am

My WF and John Barnes drill press is May 29, 1883. This smaller DP is 1917. The Barnes is much larger and double the weight. I'm wondering if there might have been some "sharing"of ideas and because some parts from each look the same.
If you like, or not, I will post some pictures of my solution for a mobile base and what I did with the motor.
The same handle works on several heavy pieces of equipment. Notice on the motorcycle lift, there is a lift tab on one end and wheels on the other. The 4 lift table wheels are on a walking beam style suspension and all the wheels are casters, this is for close quarters mobility.
After the summer rush is over, the latest drillpress will get a face-lift. Sorry, Smog Guy, I am in for the "full meal deal" . I want the drillpress to look better than new. I would like to buy a very old, heavy electric motor for this project. The CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTRIC monster that I had planned to use on the WF and J Barnes literally blew the armature to bits. I had failed to get all of the cleaning solution out of the windings. The light show lasted for a few seconds and there were hundreds of little copper balls dancing on the floor of the shop. This old stuff, MADE IN NORTH AMERICA is amazing. After 75 - 100 years it still works just fine. I did get three decades of reasonable service out of an off-shore 5/8" floor drillpress, but it was in constant need of massaging. It will be retired to CRAIGSLIST when my latest camelback drill goes into service.
Attachments
walking beam with casters.jpg
WALKING BEAM WITH CASTERS
LIFTING TAB.jpg
LIFTING TAB FOR HANDLE
Saw on the move.jpg
DELTA 2 SPEED WITH MOBILE BASE
Fitting the wheel boxes.jpg
FITTING THE WHEEL BOXES
WF&J Barnes drill mobile base and motor solution2.jpg
WF AND JOHN BARNES MOBILE BASE AND MOTOR SOLUTION
WF&J Barnes drill mobile base.jpg
BARNES MOBILE BASE WITH SHARED HANDLE

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Posting pictures of what you have in your garage as tools is like posting that you will be out of town on vacation for two weeks and your advertising to be broken into. I don't even let my neighbors in my garage to see what tools I have.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:57 pm

I think that pictures are great! I know the poster, I do not know where he lives, though I could probably find out. I do not think that breaking and entering any place would be healthy. Just my Thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:50 am

Do you have a hand powered lathe....well here's your opportunity as well as many other very fair priced tools. I browsed this site long enough...Martin body hammers for $18.95,,,,something for everybody.
http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Milita ... LATHE.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:45 am

Beautiful lathe. It would not work for me because I can not walk and chew gum at the same time. So turning a crank and.........

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:10 pm

I just think it would look so great in the garage. I had never seen one before. I am sure I could get the bride to come out and yank the crank to spool the tool....
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion