SNOW

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:55 am

SNOW

While snow is not that much of a big deal, our front street drops off at 8 feet on 50 feet run. The guy across the street is burning his way to the top of the street in his Aerostar. I'm waiting for my daughter to take her to where she has to be for the day. Several cars have gone past in full lockup. A green van mounted the curb next door and stopped on the lawn. Our neighbor's Subaru Forester, no problem, but FedEx is spinning out.
My Ram 4X4 handles the hill easily. It is slow and easy until we get to the main street.
My son's SRT is not going anywhere until the snow melts.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:22 pm

Re: SNOW

This is where that Jeep would come in handy, other than being a little cold inside.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:14 pm

My son said his SRT4 is going to go to the first offer as soon as the snow clears. It is buried now. I'll be happy to see the last of that car. It is in my space.
The Jeep has a good heater, new tires six automatic and goes well in the snow. I bought the Jeep nearly 10 years. It was about $2500. I bought it to prove that a good used vehicle can save a lot of money over a new model. The deal was, drive it, try it and if you do not like it I keep the Jeep. If you like the Jeep, you pay me back. There has been some of the usual maintenance that goes with having an older vehicle. The average cost, not including fuel and a few parts was about a dollar a day.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:11 pm

WE are getting just enough snow. The K model requires better boots for this weather. If I downsize to one vehicle I will get studs on the old girl. My daily has no problem and like the K model i have enough spare parts around to build another

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:04 pm

The little pickup looks like a Toyota.
I bought a new Toyota pickup, 4X4 in 1980. Other than being underpowered, it was reliable and would go just about anywhere in 4X4. It got berried in a peat bog, right up the windows when it was a month old. I had a long tow rope tied to the rear hitch and as we escaped the sinking truck, I grabbed the rope and tied it to a substantial tree. A local guy with a big Dodge 4X4 pulled the nearly out of sight Toyota out, slowly and carefully. The interior was dry and the muck did not get past the airfilter. It took hours to hose most of the peat off and out of the crevices in the truck. A year later the truck was still leaking moist peat. The moisture started to rust the truck from inside the spot-welded joints. The spotwelds started to look like dimples. I swapped the Toyota straight across for a 1980 F250 and everyone went away happy.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:07 am

http://www.drivebc.ca/
The Highway Through Hell, AKA The Coquihalla, #5 just opened after 24 hours of closure to all traffic movement. The news reports 1000 vehicles, including hundreds of trucks, trapped by the closure. The steep roadway became a sheet of ice as the snow changed to ice rain that froze to the road on contact.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:57 pm

Re: SNOW DEJA-VU

Here we go once again. The Highway Through Hell, AKA The Coquihalla, #5 is closed this morning and may be closed for most of the day because of heavy snow. Sorry Magihc Mike, I was going to visit your this weekend. 1569

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:09 pm

Last Saturday I almost had to chain up, coming home from Montana. I was following another truck and if he "spun out" on the hill, and I had to stop, I wouldn't have been able to start without chains.
Coming down the other side there was a Bull-hauler sideways on the hill, unable to make it up.
I had 2 sets of three-railers hanging on the trailer, so was prepared.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:47 pm

DSCF8349.jpg

When people think of New Mexico they think of the desert, I live in the mountains at 7,750' in elevation, we get plenty of the white stuff. My F250 stays on my property during the winter with all four wheels chained up and the plow at the ready. My road out to the highway is steep and impassable without the truck and my 4wd front end loader tractor. Life in the mountains in the winter can be a challenge but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. We have snow predicted this weekend.
56 S120 4x4,

Return to Non-IH discussion