Barnharts Ward for sale

Almost one of kind. I moved it once, asking 16K
Attachments
Barnhart Ward 2.png

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:25 pm

Re: Barnharts Ward for sale

Man, I thought this would garner more interest, especially with the M911 Oshkosh and IHC cabbed Pacific in the background.
Barnhart Crane and Rigging had lots of interesting "Prime Movers">

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:50 pm

The situation is, there is only one person like you. Too many IHC people are fussing over keeping their piece of Binder History original.
I Googled for some more information. Too much truck for me. Interesting for sure.
I am still f'n around with my Ford. Like I always say, "any time now. "
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:05 pm

They were an interesting company to be around in the late 90's. Today they have grown exceptionally, with divisions all over the US.
At the time I was hauling their stuff, everything was based out of Memphis, TN. It was a family owned company and two brother ran it, from what I was told. They Tithed (I think) 20% of corporate profits to their church, which I guess raised a few eyebrows at the IRS! Last time I talked to a crew, may be a year ago, they said the brothers retired, and set up a non-profit to run the company, with all excess funds going to 3rd world projects to build wells, schools and hospitals.
As Many know, I am not a religious man, but I can respect those that put theirs into practice.
There are very few companies in the world that can do what Barnhart can, Mammoet being the most famous.
It isn't so much having the equipment (although that is a big part of it) but the credit to post the security and performance bonds most governments require to make the moves.
For the brief time I hauled for them, I never got to see a heavy move, I was always on another re-location when they made the move.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Some info, 12V71 turned up 2600 rpm and 625HP.
http://weaponsystems.net/weaponsystem/C ... 20HET.html
Machine gun turret on the roof.
I once got stalled in the mud on one of their jobsites, it didn't even grunt pulling me out with a full load!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:09 pm

Interesting truck alright, but I don't think it will fit in my small yard!
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:28 am

Asking price is probably less than $1K per tire. We used Barnharts to move an uprated generator rotor into our power plant after delivery from the Atlantic through the Great Lakes. We now use Bigge for some of the large equipment moves inside the buildings, they have more of the steel rails/rollers than the cranes and movers.

We may have used Barnhart to move the first batch of the governments' spent fuel out of our pool into the parking lot, but now we own our own Goldhoffer transporter; by law we have to be able to put the sticks back in the pool in case of an issue, and didn't want them to be on call for eternity.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:57 am

Moved a lot of Goldhofer's for them, in fact when I bought my flat-bed, it was spec'd so I could swing it over 3 axles on the front. This allowed me to carry enough weight on the tractor to be able to carry a Goldfhofer on a two axle trailer.
Since at the time, I had 4 axles on my cabover (2 drives a pusher and steer) for hauling boilers, I didn't want the extra weight of a 3 axle flatbed, also. Everyone else had to hook to a 3 axle trailer to haul them, which limited backhaul potential.
I moved the prime move they used for the de commencing of Maine Yankee, in Wiscasset.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:17 am

You say, de commencing. Should that be, decommissioning?.
Interesting story on the Maine Yankee on the internet. Where does that area get the replacement power now?
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:49 am

Yes, you are correct, English, although my 1st language has never been my strong suite.
As far as power, I know they bought a lot from Canadian Hydro, north of Quebec, Some likely came from Seabrook station in NH. There were several older oil or coal fired plant in the state. Wiscasset had an oil fired plant also, one of the main reason Maine Yankee was located where it was.
The site was far from ideal, and the initial engineering data was fudged, in regard to how much heating of the shallow bay it was located near. After initial start-up it was shown to kill just about all sea life in the bay, they removed a causeway and replaced it with the bridge, and later had large tunnels and mixing chambers installed to bring in more cold water from the Sheepscot, river on the other side of Westport Island. Even with all these modifications, it was never able to run at full power. Consequently, it never achieve the operating efficiencies to make it profitable.
My parents had a house and lived on Westport for a while, And I spent many years around the bay and plant.
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion