A little respect needed

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:07 pm

A little respect needed

hi all --- it is the anniversary of the 9/11 disaster. we should all take a few moments to show some respect and appreciation to those that sacrificed during that day, and those that helped in the aftermath with response and aide. And of course to those in our armed forces that have fought so hard to protect our freedoms. Thanks to all of them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:30 am

Re: A little respect needed

That was the day our world changed forever. I was working over-time that day and the company had 6 American technology guys here to advise on something their company had supplied. I was on my break and casually watching the TV in the lunch room. It was nearly impossible to wrap my head around what I saw. I called the technology guys to have a look. It was difficult for the visiting tech guys because they were from New York State. Our airports closed along with all border crossings. They were trapped in Canada and could only watch the loss of our innocence on TV.
Weeks later, the foreman told us that some of our visitors had lost family on 911.
I feel a great sadness for us all. The loss of life and liberty that day changed our lives forever. I cannot bring myself to watch the videos and I may never be able.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:03 pm

I rememeber it like it was yesterday, I was in Huntington,WV when the 1st plane hit. Mostly I saw good in everybody. There were a few A holes, Like the Flying J that raised the diesel price by $1.00/gal, but they were the minority. The company I was leased to asked all of us what we wanted to do, most said "head home" so they would find a load (if possible) or put enough on your fuelcard to get home. I rememeber running across the Ohio tpk @ 65 mph (limit at that time was 55) and being one of the slower trucks. The State Police had other things on their mind and didn't bother us.
My Company did a lot of cross-boarder work and some were stuck in our neighbor to the north. Those that were remarked on how well the were treated by ordinary Canadians, who brought food to them or even invited the home for dinner.
I've never seen such unity in North America, but I would guess it was like during WWII.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:56 pm

It has been 16 years since the disaster. Time passes too quickly. This event brought out the best in many of us. I hope one of our elected leaders does not destroy that connection.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:25 pm

In 1983 i was 8 years old, i went on holiday to the states and stayed in Manhattan for a few days. We visited the world trade centre. I do not remember much about the inside of the buildings, however i do remember being on the roof top and looking down. Magnificent buildings, the first thing you see in the New York Skyline. I to remember the day, even though I'm across the pond. A great sadness filled me that day and it changed things forever. I also visited the memorial earlier this year. Several things struck me that day, one was a lone rose by somebody's name, it was their birthday, and two, the amount of people taking selfies. I believe this is not the sort of place to take selfies. God bless everyone. Piece.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:06 am

if you go back to NYC now, you need to see Freedom Tower and the deep fountain pools in the footprints of the original World Trade Center towers. You cannot help but get choked up.

Return to Non-IH discussion